Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Labour shadow Culture Secretary - wearing this in the HoC?

(547 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 21:44:23

Oh dear.

Tracy Brabin, aged 58y, Labour MP for Batley, ex ‘Corrie’ soap actress wore this yesterday in the HoC.

I was embarrassed on her behalf. What do you think about her choice of outfit for work?

SueDonim Tue 04-Feb-20 21:50:29

My first thought was that they must have the heating thermostat up high in the HoC! grin

lavenderzen Tue 04-Feb-20 21:58:29

I wondered if she had come straight from a night out! Or was planning an early get away to go clubbing.

paddyanne Tue 04-Feb-20 22:05:28

I'm more concerned abou the behaviour than what they wear

lucywinter Tue 04-Feb-20 22:09:09

Good grief!

quizqueen Tue 04-Feb-20 22:09:21

The way people dress often indicates the behaviour they display and, in this case, it's disrespect.

Chewbacca Tue 04-Feb-20 22:10:17

Hardly a professional look is it? Heaven knows, TM got slated often enough for her choice of clothes but, in comparison, she was a paean to haute couture. grin

Newquay Tue 04-Feb-20 22:11:21

We women must prove, in every way, we want to be taken seriously-this is not the way to go about it!

Anniebach Tue 04-Feb-20 22:11:46

What she is wearing speaks much about her behaviour

paddyanne Tue 04-Feb-20 22:14:35

Thats very old fashioned annie never judge a book by its cover .That the kind of attitude we dont want surely the ame one that says girls in short skirts are "asking for it" or do you believe that too?

Chewbacca Tue 04-Feb-20 22:23:31

I'd agree with Annie there, Paddyann. And I thought the very same thing when I watched Corbyn turn up at a Rememberance Day ceremony wearing a grubby looking anorak, whilst everyone else managed to wear more appropriate and dignified suits.

Anniebach Tue 04-Feb-20 22:36:07

You are being very silly paddyanne , dressing appropriately
is not old fashion

POGS Tue 04-Feb-20 22:36:28

I think Tracy Brabin merely had what is called a ' Wardrobe Malfunction'.

Her dress ' slipped off ' her shoulder rather than she entered the House wearing it off the shoulder.

suziewoozie Tue 04-Feb-20 22:37:06

What exactly would that be annie? What behaviour? She’s been an MP for over 3 years and hasn’t dressed inappropriately before or done anything else she’s been criticised for. She doesn’t have multiple affairs or lie every time she opens her mouth.

suziewoozie Tue 04-Feb-20 22:39:32

Thanks POGS for that comment

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Feb-20 22:42:59

Well, if Boris Johnson were to comb his hair prior to entering Parliament then that would demonstrate some respect to the House of Commons, would it not.

However, Johnson always looks and acts as if he had just arrived back from a long night out, and is still under the influence.

Anniebach Tue 04-Feb-20 22:53:33

I always wished Corbyn would do something about the stain
under his nose , yuck

suziewoozie Tue 04-Feb-20 22:53:43

But he’s a Tory man so is beyond reproach Grandad

suziewoozie Tue 04-Feb-20 22:54:28

WTF are you talking about annie ?

Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 22:57:34

That dress hadn’t slipped. It was an off the shoulder style (see other photos in the media).

Too much skin on display.

In that setting I’d have felt uncomfortable looking at her. ‘Cover up lady’ would have been running through my mind.

Nico97 Tue 04-Feb-20 23:02:12

It's all about having standards - evidently she doesn't have any.

Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 23:06:31

Let's face it if she turned up to work as a teacher, town planner, or any kind of civil servant, she would be pulled aside and advised her attire was not smart casual, and breached the dress code.

Why one rule for workers, and another for MP’s?

Summerlove Tue 04-Feb-20 23:08:37

God forbid a woman dress for herself

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:12:46

It's always a mistake to wear something for work which you might possibly wear on a night out. It's distracting for one thing. Theresa used to show a bit too much cleavage but covered up, possibly after criticism.

I don't think Boris can do much with his hair, unless he had it blow dried and then lacquered firmly into place each morning.
I know, I have similar hair! It grows in all directions.

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Feb-20 23:14:19

Urmstongran in regard to your above post, if Boris Johnson were to be working in the offices of many organizations he would be pulled to one side and spoken to on the state of his hair, his clothing and behavior in any office were he may be seen by the customers