Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phillip Scofield Why all the Fuss

(439 Posts)
glammanana Fri 07-Feb-20 12:14:44

Why is his private life so important to everyone he is a lovely man and shouldn't have to explain himself to the media if he was the man next door would anyone be bothered I doubt it.

crazyH Fri 07-Feb-20 12:19:06

I am being my cynical self.....he came out today just to deflect the big issue with Ruth. She had lodged or was planning to launch an official complaint against him/his bullying .

Nannylovesshopping Fri 07-Feb-20 12:20:22

I think he wanted everyone to know, no publicity is bad, I would rather not know anyone’s sexual preferences, celebrity or not?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Feb-20 12:20:56

I give up why do we need to know !
I don’t care if he’s gay, straight, bi, impotent or doesn’t do it at all it’s not my business
watching all the hugging and congratulations on TV I thought he’d at least saved somebody’s life, talk about overreaction

paddyanne Fri 07-Feb-20 12:25:54

I reckon someone was going to "out" him and he did it first .There would probably have been no reason why he needed to otherwise.I know two men in their 60's with wives and children who are homosexual and their work colleagues all know ,so presumably their families do too.It was much more common in the past .

Oopsminty Fri 07-Feb-20 12:32:01

He's made it into a fuss

Ellianne Fri 07-Feb-20 12:34:36

I agree, a big fuss about nothing. I have no issues with anyone's sexuality, but I do object to people shoving it in my face at every opportunity.

trisher Fri 07-Feb-20 12:35:38

I agree withpaddyanne jumped before he was pushed. Couldn't care less.

Manmar2 Fri 07-Feb-20 12:35:59

Quite agree with previous replies - who cares.

paddyanne Fri 07-Feb-20 12:40:39

I do wonder what his wife thinks of all the congratulations ,is it invalidating their marriage by saying how fantastic you're GAY Phil ?

Sara65 Fri 07-Feb-20 12:44:13

Exactly! Who cares.

Gill61 Fri 07-Feb-20 12:45:13

Hear hear, don’t really care, but am wondering what his wife makes of all the fuss he’s getting.

3nanny6 Fri 07-Feb-20 12:45:14

So many of these older men take so long to "come out". Could it be the fear of the unknown? It seems crazy to me that these people can go through getting married and even have children and secretly want a different lifestyle.
Where I worked in the past a colleague talked a little bit about being gay I had not been there long and one day he spoke of meeting his AD for lunch he then told me he had been married for 15 years before coming out.

There is so much about the LBGT community these days and it has been going for years why not just be who you are as soon as you are firmly aware of your personal sexual identity?

rosenoir Fri 07-Feb-20 12:48:27

I agree with crazyH, never liked him always found him rather smug .

JenniferEccles Fri 07-Feb-20 12:50:31

How long has he been married?

I never suspected at all.

DillytheGardener Fri 07-Feb-20 12:52:48

I imagine it is to ‘come out’ yourself if you live in the public eye, rather than the dailymail etc doing for you with a trashy expose.

Anniebach Fri 07-Feb-20 12:53:28

Why is he feeling pain and dark moments and coming to terms with it now ?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Feb-20 12:54:57

jenniferecckes he’s pretty camp

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 12:56:59

I agree with paddy and trisher. Some gutter rat was going to out him to a red top. This way, he stays in charge. The only time the sexuality of someone in the public eye matters is if they keep it private but in public are critical of same sex relationships.

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 13:01:10

It's his wife and children that I feel sorry for.

3nanny6 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:01:52

Same as that guy in the Scottish Political Party (cannot remember his name) but he made the mistake to text/tweet a 16 year old boy and then was found out so he had to resign.

Do your personal life in PRIVATE who really wants to know about it all.

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:02:32

It’s sad really if for whatever reason a person feels they have to hide their sexuality. But there is still a lot of homophobia about particularly in many religions and far right ideologies.

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 13:03:29

Scofield did hand the prime minister a list of paedos names, so there is that in his favour - Maybe this is the comeback for that?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:04:44

It’s not remotely the same as the SNP case 3nanny

Atqui Fri 07-Feb-20 13:05:36

I don’t think Philip S . situation can be compared with a politician grooming a schoolboy. I feel sorry for him (PS) that he feels the need to make a public statement rather than some trashy paper getting in first.His family may have known for ages.