Gransnet forums

News & politics

More heartbreak for the Queen

(160 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:08:19

Apparently Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn have split up.

I'm so sorry to read this news. I thought they were the happiest of the younger royals, living at Gatcombe with their lovely little girls.

How sad for Princess Anne. sad

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 22:16:42

Oh dear the royals haven’t got a very good track record have they? I don’t follow them so don’t know what family they ve got but it’s always sad but I should think the queen’s used to it by now and just goes oops there goes another one

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:20:00

I think the Queen will be very upset. During all the press reports about Prince Andrew in the run up to Christmas it was Peter and Autumn Phillips who were by her side at Sandringham.

If the two girls go to Canada with their mother it will be a blow for the Cambridge children. I looked like George and Savannah were forming a close bond as cousins.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 22:22:29

Yes, have just posted on a H&M thread about this. How sad, the Princess Royal must be saddened for her family. I too hoped they were happy with their little daughters.

gillybob Mon 10-Feb-20 22:23:32

Yes well let’s hope it’s all falling apart . Don’t mean the marriages . That would be sad . Just the “royal family” as we know it.

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:25:28

I don't think you'll have long to wait at the rate things are going, gillybob

Ellianne Mon 10-Feb-20 22:32:35

That's sad, especially for the children.

Anniebach Mon 10-Feb-20 22:35:51

gillybob you are a republican ?

gillybob Mon 10-Feb-20 22:41:36

I’m a nothing anymore anniebach I’m just fed up with all this.

I’m sad that a marriage may have broken up (crikey knows I’ve had 3 of my own) but really . These over privileged, entitled people don’t have a clue about living in the real world.

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:44:11

It has also been hinted that Zara and Mike Tindall are thinking of re-locating to Australia once she retires from eventing.

It's almost as though they are all waiting until the Queen either dies or hands over to Charles and then they'll be off.

Having taken all they could during the glory years.

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Feb-20 22:45:37

Maybe they will end up hunkering down with Harry and Meghan!!

Anniebach Mon 10-Feb-20 22:46:33

They do gillybob they have divorces, illnesses, worries over children, they know grief, they certainly know criticism, being ridiculed, they know emotional pain, only difference is they are wealthy

paddyanne Mon 10-Feb-20 22:52:20

Of course they do Gilly didn't you see Lizzie fighting back tears when her yacht was being decommisioned ? Wouldn't you cry over that too....lol.Now Andy of the questionable friends wants her to have a new yacht ,maybe he's planning afloating brothel.I have no respect for this family ,none whatsoever,they put their greedy wee hands out for more cash year on year while their "subjects" are living on the breadline and then they whinge about how hard done by they are.What a joke ,monarchy needs to end when Lizzie dies

gillybob Mon 10-Feb-20 22:52:46

Yes annie they do have all of those things, but that wealth can bring peace of mind and health too.

Not wanting to argue but I’m Feeling particularly sad tonight as my DH is so very poorly and a tiny fraction of her Maj’s money could’ve paid for his operation a year ago.

Hey ho. Such is the divide.

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Feb-20 23:11:50

I do hope your husband’s operation is soon gillybob

He has waited long enough hasn’t he?

gillybob Mon 10-Feb-20 23:24:21

He has JenniferEccles . Thank you for your kind words .

Don’t mean to derail the thread . Just saying that the royals are so wealthy that a tiny fraction of their money could help ordinary people enormously . But of course they don’t even know we exist . We just pay our taxes to keep them in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed.

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 23:37:49

Of course having money makes a huge difference when things go wrong. No worries about affording a house each, being able to afford to go and visit the children in another country, not worrying about the legal costs of a divorce. Nothing has happened to HM that has not happened to thousands and thousands of other grannies up and down the land. It’s also part of the downside of a long life - more years in which things can go wrong. The heartbreak she should be feeling is for her ‘subjects’ forced into food banks, waiting months for operations, insecure and inadequate housing or no housing at all, curs in disability benefits. But she hasn’t a clue - not a clue.

TerriBull Tue 11-Feb-20 08:02:26

It's a shame, but who knows what goes wrong when marriages come to an abrupt end.

I was really surprised to read, and I think I remember being surprised at the time, that she was expected to renounce her catholic faith. Somehow that all seems so draconian in this day and age, although at the time of their marriage he would have been further up the line of succession. Nevertheless, I think it's about time the whole "persona non grata" thing that surrounds catholics in certain stratas of society, was dropped, it's so steeped in a bygone age, hopefully! speaking as someone who was raised in that faith.

EllanVannin Tue 11-Feb-20 08:11:38

Gillybob, my late H used to say that the Queen had enough to give every citizen of the UK £1million pound----that was in the mid 80's.

The same would apply today even though the population has increased.

Still, I can look forward to an extra 25p in my pension this year when I turn 80.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:13:43

Yes it’s sad, but a fact of life I’m afraid, not everyone stays together, rich or poor, always feel sorry when there is children involved,

Grammaretto Tue 11-Feb-20 08:17:21

I agree abut the money making a difference. Ofcourse the royals suffer and get old and miserable like the rest of us but it's easier being miserable if you are rich.
I sometimes begin with a thought if I were the Queen would I be treated this way when waiting ages for an appointment. That spurs me to action. I phone the minister of health or similar and demand action. Thankyou Liz.
Not as long as your DH though Gillybob

Greymar Tue 11-Feb-20 08:22:24

sorry things are so difficult for you gilly.

newgran2019 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:08:16

I think we would get about £5 each if the Queen's wealth were shared out, but it isn't really her money; it's mostly from land and valuables passed down through history and held for the nation. She can't just sell it off.

So you'd rather have a President Trump or Blair as head of state, then? And how much do you think they cost the US taxpayers?

I wouldn't want the royals' life for all their money and comfort, and I bet the Queen cares more about ordinary people than Boris does.

Acer Tue 11-Feb-20 10:09:06

How sad ? find many of these comments and nothing on the enormous money wasted year on year by fraudsters and various government policies.

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:09:11

Gilly, so sorry to hear about your husband, I do hope he gets his operation very soon.

I do agree that money makes life easier, not necessarily happier, but definitely easier. Of course, wealthy people, royal or not, suffer from the same illnesses, divorces, poor judgements, accidents, etc as the rest of us, but their money does cushion them from some of the effects.