Gransnet forums

News & politics

Latest on Harry and Meghan

(1000 Posts)
ExD1938 Fri 14-Feb-20 13:36:52

I am disgusted by the announcement that these two have sacked 15 British members of staff. What are they thinking?
I ask myself 'how would I feel if I'd upped sticks and gone to another country out of loyalty to my employer, only for them to get rid of me 3 months later.
I would be heartbroken and furious.

anniezzz09 Fri 14-Feb-20 13:40:41

Erm, if they are living in Canada now, why would they need 15 members of staff in the UK? On another day, this would be a thread complaining how much money UK taxpayers spend on the Royals who live in one country but maintain an office in another. Poor old Royals, they can't win (heavy irony here, just in case.....)

merlotgran Fri 14-Feb-20 13:47:40

The members of staff who have been made redundant were based at H&M's Buckingham Palace office. Some of them have been redeployed in other departments.

It's a shame that they've lost their jobs but they were on a hiding to nothing.

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 13:54:12

As a taxpayer I wouldn't want to be paying for someone to sit around thumb twiddling all day.

I'm sure they will be offered alternative jobs or be given excellent references.

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 13:55:02

They have joined a long line of M&H's ex-employees.

Anniebach Fri 14-Feb-20 13:57:49

So Harry will not work for any British charity . Their staff are
now in Canada/America, sod the U.K.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Feb-20 14:10:16

Who the dickens needs 15 staff members anyway ?

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 14:13:10

There is a lot of work involved in the smooth running of their office; tours, visits, involvement with charities etc.

No office means no staff required.

Chestnut Fri 14-Feb-20 14:22:34

I think the implication is that they have completely cut their ties with the UK whereas we were originally led to believe they would spend some of the year here.
Was this all planned from the start?
Are they announcing these things slowly on purpose?
I think those of us who predicted from the start this marriage would end in some kind of Royal fracture are being proved right. ?
How this will pan out over the coming months and years is anybody's guess. Depends whether Harry can actually live the life that Meghan has decreed.

Anniebach Fri 14-Feb-20 14:26:27

Seems it was planned from day 1.

ExD1938 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:38:03

I have to say I didn't realise they were employed in Britain, but assumed they had moved to Canada with their employers.
Wrong.
Never assume. But I still think it stinks and I'm beginning to think Harry is well under his wife's thumb (or is that just because I don't want to cast Harry as the villain?) as many of the papers state.

merlotgran Fri 14-Feb-20 14:41:06

It's noticeable that since Harry joined Meghan in Canada after staying in UK for the Megxit negotiations, there have been no more 'surprise' visits from Meghan to women's charities.

In the short time she was alone in Vancouver she managed two visits and a walk in the woods with Archie and the dogs.

All three events were photographed - keeping Meghan in the spotlight.

This has never seemed like an equal partnership. Meghan craves attention. Harry will attempt to eek it out on his terms.

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 14:41:45

If they are not carrying out any official Royal duties, are giving up all their charities here , they won't need an office of 15 staff.

merlotgran Fri 14-Feb-20 14:45:19

If they had planned their 'escape' as long ago as has been suggested, It was wrong of them to appoint new members of staff as recently as just before Christmas.

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:03

It's all rather odd.

ExD1938 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:57:10

Merlotgran is right.

Susan55 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:03:39

I don't think they asked 15 members of staff to leave with them to go to Canada. I believe the staff were all in the UK and as they are no longer there, there is no longer a job for them. Most likely they will all be offered a position elsewhere but if not, the same will apply as applies to anyone if a position is no longer required.

It does seem to suggest that when they originally took on the staff, it was not their intention to up and leave. It suggests to me a decision that was acted on perhaps a little quicker than expected.

Who knows?

Anniebach Fri 14-Feb-20 15:14:52

They were in Canada just before Christmas

merlotgran Fri 14-Feb-20 15:21:30

There have been some very recent appointments, including their private secretary.

M0nica Fri 14-Feb-20 16:00:24

I expect their staff had seen the writing on the wall.

I think Prince Harry has wanted to cut and run for years, he just needed a wife who could stand by him, share his thinking and help facilitate his escape.

I have always felt the impetus behind their behaviour was him not her and I will not be surprised if he has a complete mental breakdown now he is out of the spotlight. I think his mental health issues may well have been the catalyst behind their sudden decision to pull out of the public eye followed by their immediate departure for Canada.

NotTooOld Fri 14-Feb-20 16:17:37

Mental breakdown? Don't we all have those when finding ourselves with a newborn, especially our first? I know I could have done (many moons ago) but we don't, do we? We just keep going and don't blame our dead mothers.

Jabberwok Fri 14-Feb-20 16:20:55

What about the Invictus games? Presumably he's not involved with that any more!

suziewoozie Fri 14-Feb-20 16:22:44

I wonder how many staff lost their jobs/ were transferred when Prince Andrew was sacked? What a ridiculous thread. People are clearly running out of things to get into a state about re M and H.

Jabberwok Fri 14-Feb-20 16:23:52

We don't /didn't blame or use dead anybody!

M0nica Fri 14-Feb-20 16:25:40

I do not think that is fair NotTooOld. Many children who lose parents around puberty suffer long term mental problems, and that is without be paraded in front of the public like prize cattle when in the first agony of their grief and knowing their every movement is being scrutinised and analysed by millions of people worldwide.

Some people are inherently more mentally fragile than others, just as not all of us have the physical robustness to be international rugby players, heavy weight boxers or intrepid explorers disappearing into the arctic or climbing in the a.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion