Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone believe BJ has any intention of negotiating a Deal with EU?

(264 Posts)
jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:30:30

... or just making it so impossible that we will end up with No Deal at last minute- with him ringing hands saying 'oh we tried so hard, but the EU wouldn't play ball- so we had no choice...'

It was the ERG's aim from the start- and the will of Trump and Putin too.

grannysue05 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:34:58

No it wasn't.

It was the will of the people.

The majority voted out. Nobody voted for some sort of deal.

We will be left with what we are left with !

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 15:35:33

Yes, I do think that he does want a deal, but equally would walk away if the EU plays hard to get.

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Feb-20 15:38:43

I think he's going to make it too difficult to get a deal by wanting unrealistic terms. Then he will blame the EU and accuse them of being hostile and uncooperative.

He's already complaining about not being able to have a "Canada" deal but the EU has explained why that's not going to work.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 15:41:03

I don't think he has any intention of a deal with the EU. I'm concerned about the position of Northern Ireland and Gibraltar.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 15:44:41

grannysue That's not true. Before the referendum there was lots of talk about having a Norway-style or Switzerland-style deal. One way or the other, we have to trade with the EU, so there will be a deal of some sort, even if it's by default, but it's looking highly unlikely that it will be beneficial to the UK. We'll be trading as a third country.

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:46:03

But he did sign a withdrawal agreement on the basis of a 'level playing field' - how can he blame the EU for insisting that negotiations are based on what he agreed and signed? Surely he could not be that dishonest and disingenuous?

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 15:47:25

Splutter splutter splutter! Surely not! hmm

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 15:48:43

He can blame them because people will believe him. Meanwhile, the country's reputation is being negatively affected as an honest and trustworthy partner in anything.

grannysue05 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:53:08

Growstuff Before the referendum there was lots of talk about a Norway-style or Switzerlan-style deal
Thats the point. It was just talk. We did not build safeguards into our decisions to vote in or out.
I do think that we will end up with something that we will just have to put up with.

POGS Sun 23-Feb-20 15:54:47

The question is always does Boris Johnson have any intention of negotiating a deal with the EU and never does the EU have any intention of negotiating a deal with the UK?

I have said many times I watch the snippets on BBC Parliament that come live from the EU Parliament and asking if the EU want a negotiation with the UK is a valid one.

It will depend on whether or not the EU accepts the departure by the UK has now become an Independent Country and no longer a Member State.

It is often said if you are a member of a club you abide by the rules and receive the benefits. The reverse is if you leave the club you do not have to abide by the rules at the expense of loosing the benefits.

Esspee Sun 23-Feb-20 16:01:48

Once the country voted to leave it should have been implemented immediately. All the vacillation caused by those who refused to accept we live in a democracy simply weakened our position.
Thankfully Boris is a loose cannon and perfectly capable of telling the EEC what to do with their demands. He is in a stronger position due to his personality and their negotiators know that.
So, much as I dislike many things about him, right now I’m in the “GO BORIS” camp.

Namsnanny Sun 23-Feb-20 16:05:25

wait and see

Dinahmo Sun 23-Feb-20 16:08:03

The good Friday agreement was included in the Withdrawal agreement but Johnson is now asking advisers to find ways around the Northern Ireland protocol as regards trade deals. If we renege on any part of the WA the EU will cease to trust us.

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:12:12

POGS ''It will depend on whether or not the EU accepts the departure by the UK has now become an Independent Country and no longer a Member State. ''

not quite sure I understand this. Are you saying that the EU 27 will accept to deal on a oneway level playing field? How does that make sense at all?

We can't expect to be 'Independent' and allow lower standards, be they animal welfare or health standards, or workers rights, etc - which means we would be allowed to produce much cheaper than them- and also allow cheap poor quality imports from USA and other countries, at very low cost- which would then find its way into the EU via no border NI and Ireland?

Surely that is nonsense?

Wait and see will be a bit late, sorry Namsnanny.

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:14:41

Espee- the loose cannon approach is more likely to the EU telling little UK what to do with ridiculous and unfair demands.

It's a gamble- like Russian roulette - it can work - but mostly it does NOT.

Daisymae Sun 23-Feb-20 16:19:53

No, I don't. He had too much to gain so I would be more surprised if there's a deal. They are already laying the foundations

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 16:20:13

grannysue Thanks for explaining. It seems I misinterpreted your post.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 16:23:10

I doubt very much whether Johnson's personality will impress anybody in the EU. They have quite a few personalities of their own.

Don't kid yourself! The EU has the stronger hand.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:42:48

Nobody voted for some sort of deal. We will be left with what we are left with!

What a terrifyingly ignorant (as in lack of knowledge) reply.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:44:08

Perhaps I misunderstood?

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:54:26

London Economics ''Concern expressed over reports PM ordered staff to find ways around NI protocol''

so putting the GFA in jeopardy- and totally unacceptabble to the EU- on several grounds, and totally going against what he agreed with and signed up for.

POGS Sun 23-Feb-20 17:30:57

Jura

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 16:12:12

'POGS ''It will depend on whether or not the EU accepts the departure by the UK has now become an Independent Country and no longer a Member State. ''

not quite sure I understand this. Are you saying that the EU 27 will accept to deal on a oneway level playing field? How does that make sense at all?
-

I have put it as simply as I can Jura and I am sure many understood my view.

If the EU expects a country who leaves the EU to maintain being held to the EU rules and regulations on ANY policy, legislation et al the obvious conclusion is the EU does not accept that country has left and has a right to resort to being a sovereign country or as the term is used ' a third country '.

Some posters over the years have repetitively posted if the UK leaves the EU the UK cannot expect to keep the privileges. Cake and Eat it scenario. There is also a correct saying that if the UK leaves the EU cannot expect to control how the UK as a ' third country ' is governed.

If the EU demands of the UK what it has not from any other ' third country/countries ' in it's trade talks / deal the question is why?

Could you answer the question I asked over the Portuguese concept to maintain a close contact with the UK on travel??

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 17:34:17

Of course he had no intention - any fule no that. We won’t have a deal with the US either by the end of the year ( although he was stupid enough to think he would)

anniezzz09 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:40:27

It's all gamesmanship but he's too arrogant and/or stupid, and /or Cummings is pulling the strings. A no deal is on the cards but it's not about democracy, we are merely cannon fodder in the game played by those whose intent is private gain.

Apparently the negotiators are being told to find a way around the Good Friday Agreement, Johnson and his ilk don't give a damn.