Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Labour LEADER

(517 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 04-Apr-20 10:54:11

Keir Starmer .

Greeneyedgirl Sat 04-Apr-20 10:58:59

I am happy and also with Angela Rayner as deputy, a good balance.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:01:52

I’m very happy with that outcome

Galaxy Sat 04-Apr-20 11:02:42

I am pleased about Starmer.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 11:03:13

Well, that's promising.

smile

POGS Sat 04-Apr-20 11:07:44

Yep Keir Starmer and Angela Raynor.

I hope now the Corbyn Inner Circle both in and out of the Parliamentary Labour Party are finally dismantled and Labour may well have a chance of government once again.

For Keir Starmer to get through on the ' First Round' is telling.

A sigh of relief in some quarters and despair in others I guess, that's politics for you.

Jane10 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:12:14

So glad to hear this. I'm impressed by Keir Starmer. Good luck to him in reforming the Labour Party and making them electable again or at least to provide a credible opposition.

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:17:45

I find many labour MPs abhorrent. Jess Phillips for example I think is poison (same for JC). There was no way in hell I was going to vote labour in the last election.

But I am very glad that Keir Steimer is the new opposition leader. I think this is the best possible out come.

Before now we had no opposition just a bunch of stroppy adolescents. Maybe now we will have a proper professional opposition

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 11:17:48

Last throw of the dice. The very existence of the party depends on him.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 11:22:09

That was a powerful speech

What a difference to the previous incumbent.

Jane10 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:24:16

Yes. A grown up at last!

Kandinsky Sat 04-Apr-20 11:27:31

No surprise really.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:32:13

His speech in full.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 11:33:16

?

Anniebach Sat 04-Apr-20 11:49:31

At last an apology to the Jewish Community.

Hope MacDonald sticks to his word that he has resigned , now
get shot of Jennie Formby

janipat Sat 04-Apr-20 11:50:01

Oh my, what a speech! If he does what he says, and I have no reason to doubt him, Labour will be a good opposition and maybe eventually a government. I particularly liked the part where they won't oppose anything just for the sake of it. I'm not a Labour member and haven't felt able to vote for them recently, but this man could change that.

MaizieD Sat 04-Apr-20 11:50:58

So pleased at the result of the Labour leadership election. It's just a shame that it has taken so long.

However, I am astounded at the huge expectations people have of this man. I very much hope that he can rise to the occasion but we'd do well to remember that he is not the Messiah and cut him some slack if he doesn't always come up to expectations.

Framilode Sat 04-Apr-20 11:51:38

Brilliant news, at last there is hope.

janipat Sat 04-Apr-20 11:57:35

MaizieD if he maintains the integrity he speaks of in his speech then that is all that can be expected. Too often politicians talk the talk but don't even attempt to walk the walk. I don't think people are expecting miracles, just someone who has pledged to put the country first in his dealings, which is just what we need. We've had enough political point scoring to last several lifetimes!

Anniebach Sat 04-Apr-20 11:58:03

1983 the country said ‘no way’ to a far left government, same
in 2019.

Now we wait for the new shadow cabinet

Jane43 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:01:09

If he carries on in this vein Labour will regain my vote at the next election. I’m not so sure about Angela Rayner though, she is Rebecca Long-Bailey’s best friend and I wasn’t impressed by some of her interviews pre the last election, notably the one with Andrew Marr; she is very adept at not answering the question posed and spouting rhetoric instead. I wish Lisa Nandy had stood for Deputy Leader. It will be interesting to see who he appoints to the Shadow Cabinet.

Galaxy Sat 04-Apr-20 12:02:38

Yes that's a good point, we dont want a messiah, actually a bit of blandness would not do any harm.

Grandad1943 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:03:56

Should it be that Kier Starmer holds to his promise to abolish the anti-trade union legislation that has so much damaged the rights and conditions of working people in this country for over forty years then the Labour Party and wider Labour movement will remain as one in the coming years.

As I have stated often in these threads, who won the leadership election is probably of lesser consequence than who now in the coming days is appointed to the shadow cabinet. That will, in reality, indicate the political direction the parliamentary Labour Party will attempt to travel.

Should Starmer and that appointed cabinet remain with the election pledges to renationalise the utility companies, train operations in this country and as stated abolish many of the anti-trade union regulations should Labour come to power, then I believe the Labour movement will remain as one.

Should the above pledges be abandoned then the Labour Party as it is in being now will not exist in two-three years time.

However, we now live in unprecedented times and all should give this new leader all the support that is required along with the current government administration for the sake of us all.

Witzend Sat 04-Apr-20 12:04:31

Why on earth did it take so long?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:05:59

I think the reaction that he’s getting shows how desperate the country is for a leader of integrity and moderation.

We haven’t had such a speech from a leader of any political party for decades.

He carries quite a burden of expectation, and we must all cut him slack as he will almost certainly find the baron owned media will go in all guns blazing.