Gransnet forums

News & politics

The worst 3 British politicians in the last 50 years

(77 Posts)
trisher Sun 16-Aug-20 16:44:18

I was thinking about who I would think had done most harm to British democracy and why. I was tempted of course by Margaret Thatcher, but much as I hated the woman I don't think she harmed our democracy. So my three are Tony Blair for his actions in taking a Labour government into an illegal war, Nick Clegg for ruining the Lib Dems by taking them into coalition with the Tories and David Cameron for starting the whole EU debacle and then jumping ship.
Who are yours and why?

trisher Sun 16-Aug-20 18:39:27

varian ^If only Margaret Thatcher had been as stupid and as grossly incompetent as Boris Johnson. She could never had done so much damage to our country^-Love it! grin.

Parsley3 Sun 16-Aug-20 18:36:54

Tony Blair for turning Labour into Tory lite.
David Cameron for the stupid EU referendum.
Boris Johnstone for being a charlatan.

grumppa Sun 16-Aug-20 18:23:46

And the best three?

Galaxy Sun 16-Aug-20 18:05:03

You made me feel very old for a moment !

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 18:03:28

Thanks Galaxy, should have checked, seems much further back in time. So I'll leave Michael Foot in place and extract Gordon Brown as being marginally better having refrained from giving us the euro.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 17:57:58

Corbyn, for the worse labour defeat since 1935 and for anti
semitism in the Party. H

Nick Clegg for going into coalition with
the conservatives.

Harold Wilson for keeping Lord Robens in
his job regardless of the fact the Aberfan enquiry found him
economical with the truth.

varian Sun 16-Aug-20 17:53:26

Margaret Thatcher was intelligent, well educated, hard working and efficient.

If only Margaret Thatcher had been as stupid and as grossly incompetent as Boris Johnson. She could never had done so much damage to our country.

Galaxy Sun 16-Aug-20 17:53:07

Michael foot was labour leader till 1983 he is surely fine to be on the listsmile

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 17:49:54

Oops only just noticed the poster asked for last 50 years, Strike out Michael Foot and replace with Gordon Brown.
Strike out Chamberlain and Heath, replace with Anna Soubry and Dominic Grieve.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 16-Aug-20 17:45:13

Ooooh Matt Hancock for selling off the NHS - not quite yet but it won't be long!

Michael Foot was just not at all a Statesman, Robin Cook, the same, I could name loads! Cameron for 'austerity', Thatcher for decimating my town - I could go on!

MadeInYorkshire Sun 16-Aug-20 17:42:09

Iain Duncan Smith
Esther McVey as Minister for the Disabled
Claire Perry for only representing those with a lot of wealth in my Constituency

Bridie22 Sun 16-Aug-20 17:22:28

Thatcher.
May.
Johnson

grannyrebel7 Sun 16-Aug-20 17:18:41

Johnson, Hancock & Gove and I know he's not a politician, but Johnson does everything he tells him to do, Dominic Cummings!

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 17:17:36

Worst on the left I'd say Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock and Jeremy Corbyn for ineptitude and lack of charisma.
On the right Neville Chamberlain, Ted Heath and Theresa May for the same reasons as above.
David Lammy and Paula Sheriff for aggression and Gavin Williamson for not enough.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Aug-20 17:12:37

Tony Blair ditto same reason as trisher gave.
David Cameron because he's an utter coward and ran away when his mistakes came home to roost.
Jeremy Corbyn because he just wasn't up to the job and wouldn't admit it.

Can't include Farage because he's never been considered to be a serious politician.

grumppa Sun 16-Aug-20 17:11:21

Just three. This is a challenge. In no particular order: Corbin, Johnson, Farage.

Jabberwok Sun 16-Aug-20 17:08:07

Gordon Brown, selling the family silver! John Major for signing up for Mastrich, Jeremy Corbyn for supping with certain devils.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Aug-20 17:06:30

<dons hard hat>
Jeremy Corbyn for me, closely followed by the present incumbent of No 10.
If JC had supported the Remain Campaign, it would have won.
We would not be leaving the EU and Johnson would not be Prime Minister.
It’s even possible that, had Remain won and DC stayed in office, and the 2017 election hadn’t happened till 2020, and Labour had provided an effective opposition, they might be in power now.

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 17:02:46

Trisher. True!

Ilovecheese Sun 16-Aug-20 17:01:38

Nick Clegg for showing a generation of young people that a pledge is meaningless, honour is worth nothing, only power and the trappings of success matter.

Galaxy Sun 16-Aug-20 16:54:33

And presided over the worst election campaign I have ever seen
I think Ian Duncan Smith is devoid of most redeeming features.

trisher Sun 16-Aug-20 16:54:22

Lucca let's allow Farage although calling him a politician is far too polite in my opinion!!!

Grany Sun 16-Aug-20 16:53:47

Good choices can't argue with those.

Mine are and reasons

Margaret Thatcher for starting the privatisation process egged on by Reagan

Cameron for the 2012 Health and Social Care Act despite saying pre election There will be no top down reorganising of the NHS

Theresa May for continuing Austerity and privatisation no change of polices from her.

Galaxy Sun 16-Aug-20 16:49:56

Johnson, I disagreed with pretty much everything Thatcher stood for but I dont think she can compare to the immoral corruption and ineptitude that he has presided over.
I think Theresa May was probably the least suited in terms of personality to being a PM. And presided o

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 16:46:33

With you I think ! Can we have mr farage too?