Gransnet forums

News & politics

Savvy librarian upstages Boris

(58 Posts)
Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 10:32:26

I expect many of you have already read this article

books behind Boris tell their own story

Displayed behind him are certain well chosen titles! The Subtle Knife, Fahrenheit 451, Glass Houses, The Toll, Guards Guards, The Twits and so on!

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 16:13:34

Fake news
metro.co.uk/2020/08/27/boris-johnsons-speech-trolled-legend-librarians-book-arrangements-13186418

I thought Parliament was in recess - surely visiting schools, shipyards etc is part of the job?

Nannarose Thu 27-Aug-20 16:16:44

If you are a public employee, it can be very difficult if your management decide they will accept a visit from a senior politician. Both DH & I have refused to be part of such visits, but have no say in whether they take place or not. Once, when DH did have a say (about his unit) he said he would be happy to talk to the Minister, but would refuse all photographs - so of course they didn't visit his unit

This librarian / teacher who I suspect feels disempowered, took the only stance they could, and at least gave us a laugh. It's a sort of 'squaddie' humour - going back to ancient times.

suziewoozie Thu 27-Aug-20 16:21:40

He used the children - told them lies and invented the concept of a mutant algorithm. Well done to the librarian - hope it’s true.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 16:24:25

As some posters don't much like links I will post briefly what the librarian said.

She left the job six months ago and arranged the books like that before she left
‘It just became untenable to carry on working there because of the lack of support I had and I was left with no choice but to resign. ‘That’s why I decided to leave them a big message during my last week. They obviously never actually noticed, and it went untouched for six months'

A spokesperson for the school: ‘The Castle Rock School library has not been used for five months. The senior management there were unaware of any ‘covert message’ left through the arrangement of books.’

Obviously not very popular books as no-one looked at them, let alone borrowed them from the school library!

Surely there is enough to criticise without having to resort to Fake News.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Aug-20 16:25:03

Tory propaganda?!! Left wing propaganda in a prominent position influencing young people? Is this allowed? Of course it is!!

Riverwalk Thu 27-Aug-20 16:25:23

I'd love it to have been one of the pupils! grin

The brazen cheek of blaming a mutant algorithm - any Johnson supporters care to justify that bit of fakery?

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 16:25:38

Well done to the librarian - hope it’s true
Unfortunately it is not true.

Poor woman, she could be very embarrassed by this.

trisher Thu 27-Aug-20 16:32:36

I don't think she should be embarrassed.She left a message which no one noticed. It's a message which applies to her employers but also to the Tory government, she should be proud, and I hope she has found somewhere to work where her talents and humour will be appreciated.

Bathsheba Thu 27-Aug-20 16:35:44

Read Callistemon's link, Suziewoozie. It's not true. Sorry to disappoint.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 16:41:53

Perhaps she should have made her message clearer!

No-one went in there - why?

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 16:51:11

Jabberwok

Tory propaganda?!! Left wing propaganda in a prominent position influencing young people? Is this allowed? Of course it is!!

So Johnson's talk, which was blatant pro-government propaganda (when it was actually coherent enough to make sense) is OK?

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 16:54:04

Callistemon I don't know whether the books were popular, but schools have been closed for four months and, even now, books can't be borrowed from school libraries. As a precaution, schools aren't using actual books at all, unless pupils have their own personal copies.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 17:04:04

She left.

Some schools have been open.

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 17:06:41

They have but I suspect not their librairies.

vegansrock Thu 27-Aug-20 17:08:12

So it’s ok for pupils to have right wing propaganda forced on them ? Having to be brought in in the holidays and wear uniform and listen to a load of piffle waffle. Mind you they did look rather bored.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 17:10:06

So her message went unnoticed.

Although she did leave the message before schools were shut because of the virus.

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 17:15:03

vegansrock

So it’s ok for pupils to have right wing propaganda forced on them ? Having to be brought in in the holidays and wear uniform and listen to a load of piffle waffle. Mind you they did look rather bored.

It was in Leicestershire (Coalville), where term has already started.

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 17:16:09

Lucca

Exactly! In the precautions I've seen, pupils have not been allowed to share any books.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 17:20:18

The message was left before the pandemic.

It's Fake News

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 17:22:38

I don't know why I should be defending the school or Boris, but there's enough news from which to draw form an opinion without fake news being peddled.

MayBee70 Thu 27-Aug-20 17:25:16

Why does that make it fake news? Had it been photoshopped it would have been fake news but he stood in front of the actual books did he not? Maybe someone is just being clever in that no one currently employed can be blamed and punished?

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 17:26:36

It's not really fake news because I doubt if it was a deliberate lie. It was quite funny though and, my goodness, we need a bit of a giggle. The fact that it even prompted discussion on social media says something because people obviously did see the significance of the book titles.

Signed

A left wing loonie (allegedly)

Ellianne Thu 27-Aug-20 17:30:05

It is quite funny!

I am not familiar with the reading material enjoyed by current teenagers, but I can tell you most of the children I know are reading The Twits at the age of 7 years. What is this book doing on the shelves of a secondary school with pupils aged 11 plus?

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 17:31:54

How about this for a conspiracy theory?

The books were planted by Dominic Cummings as a "feles mortuus" to distract from important issues.

I take your point Callistemon. Whatever the intention, it was a little bit funny, but it's sad that relatively unimportant topics such as this, tents in Scotland, etc never attract the amount of interest and discussion as really important issues.

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 17:33:59

Ellianne

It is quite funny!

I am not familiar with the reading material enjoyed by current teenagers, but I can tell you most of the children I know are reading The Twits at the age of 7 years. What is this book doing on the shelves of a secondary school with pupils aged 11 plus?

Many Year 7s with reading difficulties enjoy Roald Dahl. An average secondary comprehensive school has pupils with reading ages spanning from 7 to 14.