Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party internal investigation into racism

(92 Posts)
biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 19:03:31

PECS's thread is not above France anyhow- it is about the many allegations and evidence of islamophobia in the Conservative Party, in the UK.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 18:50:26

Iam64- I hope no-one is saying it here (but ...)- but if the Conservatives shelve a report on Islamophobia- one has to wonder why. Why is antisemitism wrong and deserving of an inquiry, and punishment, banning, etc. But not Islamophobia?

As said, either both are wrong or both ar fair game.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 18:47:37

There are NO apologists here, not one.

tickingbird Sun 01-Nov-20 18:21:12

A cartoon is just a cartoon. I could draw a cartoon of a man wearing a turban and would anyone have a problem? If I then decide to say that man is Mohammed does that make it Islamaphobia? Nobody knows what the prophet looked like so it’s all just nonsense as far as I’m concerned. The murderers and the protesters are all being brainwashed and led by others hiding in the shadows. Beheading innocent people, and still the apologists are out in force. It’s enough to make one weep.

varian Sun 01-Nov-20 18:11:48

Unfortunately we do not have a written constitution, nor do we teach philosophy or critical thinking in schools as the French do. They are right to defend their secular state.

sparklingsilver28 Sun 01-Nov-20 18:07:56

France reveres its culture and values and when living in France expected to adopt and respect it. Pity Britain does not insist on the same.

varian Sun 01-Nov-20 17:56:35

Sayeeda Warsi on Tory Islamophobia: 'It feels like I'm in an abusive relationship'

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/27/sayeeda-warsi-tory-islamophobia-muslim-prejudice-investigation

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:47:54

PECS I should stress, I'm not suggesting your OP is whataboutery. My response is to Biba who seems to believe that 'others' oppose anti semitism but not islamophobia.

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:46:14

Who said islamophobia is fine, rife and dandy?!
Whataboutery doesn't answer any of the questions. Racism, the demonisation of any group is just wrong.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:45:45

ah, I wonder why ? Any clue ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:39:12

The investigation has been shelved.

Grany Sun 01-Nov-20 17:37:47

Yes and why didn't they have an enquiry a report on antisemitism same as Labour did

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:24:38

In short why is Islamophobia 'fair game' - but not antisemitism? Either both are wrong, or both are 'fair game'.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:22:54

Not to take the heat off Corbyn at all- but in the name of fairness, somehow. Why is antisemitism considered wrong and punishable (and I think it should be)- but Islamophobia is rife and dandy?

There are madmen in all religions, and all sections of the poupulation- and plenty of evidence in the not so far past.
The point being that the teacher did not use the history of cartoons to depict how at the time of the Revolution they were used to mock and condemn the Nobles and the Clergy. How they were used in many wars to demonise and dehumanise the enemy. By Hitler to demonise Jews, Gypsies and the infirm. How the Brits used cartoons against their enemies too- like 'Gerry'. How later the French use cartoons and film cartoons like the Guignols to mock, deride and criticise polititians on TV, and in magasines.

He only used one form of cartoons, those depicting Mohamet to students who are marginalised and vulnerable, many of them Muslims. But he would not have dared use antisemitic materials, because the Jewish commnunities of France would have been in uproar.

France is only a secular country when it suits it. A very large proportion of French people send their kids to Private (all white) Catholic schools funded by the State. In Nice, a bastion of the National Front, those Catholic families go to Mass every Sunday.

Fact is, the actions of these radicalised madmen have become just one more excuse to marginalise, discriminate against and insult the Muslims of France- all of them. And it created the very conditions for radicalisation and hatred.

lemongrove Sun 01-Nov-20 17:06:50

Is this to take the heat off Corbyn??You are certainly eager to see it.
There should be a way of finding out via google if the report has been concluded yet.
I think you are wrong about the French biba France being a secular country any cartoons about any religion are considered fair game, but you can bet your boots, that if that did happen ( anti -semitic cartoons) no Jewish person would run amok with a knife trying to behead people!

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 16:23:20

No you haven't. I have been looking out for it- but ...

We must ensure that we do not allowe them to forget it- we must ask for it, again and again. In the Press, on Question Time, write to our MPs, etc.

Again and again, and quite rightly- we talk about the heinous crime of Antisemetism - but Islamophobia is just fair game.
Imagine is the teacher in France had been only and solely using antisemetic cartoons in his lessons?

PECS Sun 01-Nov-20 16:13:28

About 500 days ago BJ promised an investigation into accusations of anti Islamic behavious and attitues.. Have I missed the publication of the report?