Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnny Depp loses his libel trial against the Sun

(39 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 13:19:07

Johnny Depp denied an article in the Sun alleging he was 'a wife beater'. There was a lengthy trial during which the Judge heard evidence from Mr Depp and his former wife, Amber Heard.

The Judge found that the article was substantially true. He concluded that 12 of 14 incidents alleged in the article actually happened.

The case didn't paint either of this couple in a positive light. Nonetheless, I am pleased that Mr Depp has been found by an independent Judge, who heard extensive evidence, to have been a 'wife beater' during his relationship with Amber Rudd. Women suffer violence of the type found to have been experienced by Amber Rudd, all too often. Men deny, minimise, accuse the women of being mentally ill, of exaggerating or of making it up.

--

OP edited by GNHQ to change the name for accuracy

Iam64 Fri 06-Nov-20 21:14:55

Well said Smiless2012. It's such classic behaviour from abusers, to continue the abuse by any means

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Nov-20 20:14:56

No he didn't need the money but maybe he needed to continue abusing his ex wife by attempting to publicly portray her as a liar.

bonfirebirthday Fri 06-Nov-20 20:11:41

I read the Jenni Murray article. It was succinct and to the point. The fact that Sean Connery did not sue a newspaper does not change his appalling attitude to women even if in the 1960's, violence was just a domestic. As for Johnny Depp sueing a newspaper, it's bizarre. It's not as if he needed the money!

welbeck Fri 06-Nov-20 20:01:23

to be fair to her, jenni murray made the point about sean connery.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8914435/JENNI-MURRAY-forgotten-dark-Sean-Connery.html

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Nov-20 19:59:56

That's true bonfirebirthday but the difference is he was never foolish enough to sue a newspaper for calling him a wife beater when he was, and as you say "mercifully attitudes towards violence against women have changed since 1965".

A pity for JD that that seems to have passed him buy.

bonfirebirthday Fri 06-Nov-20 19:49:51

There has been coverage in the media on the death of Sean Connery, all very glowing. Few have mentioned that he spoke out saying it was permissible to hit a woman. In 1965 he told Playboy that it was justifiable if all other alternatives fail. His recommendation, 'don't hit a woman in same way you would hit a man'. His career did not suffer, he went on to become a superstar. Mercifully attitudes towards violence against women have changed since 1965.

Smileless2012 Fri 06-Nov-20 19:40:48

The beginning of the end. Accountability is everything and living in denial is nothing.

Chewbacca Fri 06-Nov-20 19:38:10

It looks as though the unravelling of his career has now begun.

Johnny Depp has left the Fantastic Beasts film franchise, days after losing a libel case over a newspaper article which called him a wife beater.
In a letter to fans, Depp said he had been "asked to resign" from his role as Gellert Grindelwald and had "respected that and agreed to that request".

Summerlove Tue 03-Nov-20 19:25:54

Oopsminty

Don't forget that Amber herself was charged and arrested in 2009 for striking a girlfriend.

Nobody is disputing that Depp hit Heard

But Heard hit Depp as well

Depp lost a case against the Sun.

Yes, he can be classed a wife absuer

But you can't just ignore all the evidence that was heard during this case

But what do her previous actions have to do with this case?

Absolutely nothing

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 18:17:29

NotSpaghetti - yes indeed. I commented in the OP that the case didn't point either of them in a good light. As the case was brought by Mr Depp, little wonder he attempted to divert the focus away from his drunken, drug fuelled abuse of her, but towards Ms Heard.
His behaviour in doing that was classic of abusive men everywhere. Their claim is they were 'driven to it'. That their wives/girl friends are mad, unstable, that the women "attacked" them. There is a significant physical strength difference which hasn't been acknowledged by any of the posters who seek to shift blame from Depp to his ex wife.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Nov-20 18:06:46

This is a strange thread.
Why is anyone discussing Amber Heard's behaviour?

This was a suit between her ex an a newspaper. It really wasn't actually about her at all.

Ilovecheese Tue 03-Nov-20 14:42:45

I don't know whether Sparkling is a man or a woman but I think the comment shows the sort of kneejerk reaction that sometimes happens towards a good looking woman, that she must be a gold digger, after a mans money.

She was a witness, not asking for anything.

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:55:09

The Sun said he was a wife beater. He attempted to sue them by claiming he wasn't, denying he'd ever struck her and lost because he had.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:34:17

I agree Oopsminty , remember though that Amber Heard wasn't prosecuted or found guilty of assault. This case was about Depp denying the information the Sun printed, which the Judge has now concluded was correct, in calling him a wife beater. To deny the information in the Sun suggests Depp denied hitting Amber Heard. He certainly denied every one of the 12 incidents the Court found to have happened.

It's classic abuser behaviour, to accuse the woman of being equally violent, mentally ill, unstable etc etc. It also isn't unusual for people under attack to fight back.

Oopsminty Tue 03-Nov-20 12:26:21

Don't forget that Amber herself was charged and arrested in 2009 for striking a girlfriend.

Nobody is disputing that Depp hit Heard

But Heard hit Depp as well

Depp lost a case against the Sun.

Yes, he can be classed a wife absuer

But you can't just ignore all the evidence that was heard during this case

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Nov-20 11:54:24

It is another way for him to abuse and humiliate her exactly Iam and thank goodness that the person who has ultimately been humiliated is him.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:28:13

I don't see the conclusion of this court hearing as a 'one sided way of looking at this'. The court was asked to consider specific allegations that Depp abused Amber Heard. The conclusion was that yes, he did.
Ask any woman who was subjected to several years of horrific abuse, whether they ever lost their control and shouted or e hit back. Victims have feelings too, they may feel terror, which Amber Heard says she did. She feared for her life on one occasion. Being in an abusive relationship with someone you have, and maybe still do, love will affect your behaviour.

Summerlove is right, she was his victim and has been tied in the court of public opinion. It is another way for him to abuse and humiliate her.

Summerlove Mon 02-Nov-20 21:58:30

But her abusiveness shouldn’t even be part of this

It wasn’t A divorce hearing, or a criminal case.

It was a civil case. Against a newspaper. Whether or not she abused him should have had nothing to do with it.

She was his victim, and has now been tried in the court of public opinion. Just another way for him to abuse her

Sparkling Mon 02-Nov-20 21:45:58

I am not sticking up for Depp, I think him weird, just questioning the one sided way of looking at this if they were both abusive to each other.

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 21:11:51

Thanks Jane10, that clarifies it.
The Sun's senior lawyer was on the tv and radio news this evening. His view is the Judgement is sound. That Depp may get leave to appeal but the Judge concerned is known to be both cautious and skilful. The level of publicity surrounding the trial and the likelihood of Depp appealing will have been something the Judge is well aware of.

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 20:15:53

Iam64- I meant that this PR company encourages clients to sue as even bad publicity is better than no publicity. It stinks of course.

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 19:39:06

Sparkling. It was a civil case. It has nothing to do with Amber Heard being "paid for being married for such a very short time".

Johnny Depp brought this case. He sued The Sun newspaper after they called him a wife beater , something he denied. Amber Heard was called as a Witness. She had nothing to gain financially and a lot to lose personally. Your comment is one of many that suggests people see her "as bad as him".

Johnny Depp lost his case against the Sun. The Judge found. that 12 of the 14 incidents the Sun used in support of its report to be substantially true.

Ilovecheese Mon 02-Nov-20 19:20:32

Sparkling are you talking about the same court case? I thought Johnny Dep was sueing a newspaper.

Sparkling Mon 02-Nov-20 18:55:53

I found this case disturbing to say the least. They are as bad as each other and it’s about money, I don’t see why any woman should be paid for being married for such a very short time, it was never happy, they both have histories. She can earn her own living.

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 18:48:21

Exactly Summerlove. He denied being a wife beater as the Sun alleged. The Judge listened to endless evidence and decided he was, a wife beater. She is the victim here, not him. Amazing that so many find that difficult to believe