Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnny Depp loses his libel trial against the Sun

(38 Posts)
Summerlove Mon 02-Nov-20 18:46:31

But she wasn’t on trial

Even though they made it look as though she was

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 18:45:37

They were both horribly abusive to each other.

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 18:27:59

Apologies for writing Amber Rudd (I'll ask GNHQ if they can change it)

Deeda, it doesn't matter if there was no violence in his relationship with Vanessa Paradis. He was horribly abusive to Amber Heard, for a long time. She wasn't in trial here. He chose to sue The Sun and he lost.

Jane 10, what do you mean when you say "its all just business'.

He is talking about appealing this Judgement. Another classic example of controlling, abusive behaviour.

Summerlove Mon 02-Nov-20 18:08:09

Deedaa

On the other hand there seems to have been no violence in his relationship with Vanessa Paradis.

Someone who can be abusive isn’t always abusive with all partners, or all the time with the partners they are abusive to.

It can be equally true that he was not abusive to Vanessa and that he was abusive to Amber

Deedaa Mon 02-Nov-20 17:09:19

On the other hand there seems to have been no violence in his relationship with Vanessa Paradis.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Nov-20 16:14:45

Isn't he involved with Disney?
I think they will be a bit wary now.
Also, my daughter says there's a similar court case coming up in America.

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:02:46

They both sounded awful but I remember Depp getting a lot of support from fans. I'd never heard of Amber thingy before. Its all just business.

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 14:29:29

I think this is pretty bad publicity for Mr Depp

The pair of them seemed to lead a rather disruptive lifestyle

She admitted to hitting him as well

I think she thumped a previous girlfriend as well

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 14:24:12

I read in the Robert Lacey book on the two princes that meghan's PR company's policy is always to sue. Even if the result is not in their favour everyone will have been able to hear the whole story. No such thing as bad publicity etc.
Johnny Depp uses the same company...

suziewoozie Mon 02-Nov-20 14:16:42

They and the life style that was revealed during the trial was horrible. I also found it appalling that court time was available for this lengthy case when our CJS is absolutely falling apart and victims/accused being denied justice now for literally years for want of court rooms.

Smileless2012 Mon 02-Nov-20 13:40:34

I'm pleased too. As if knocking her about wasn't enough he insisted on taking the Sun to court and in so doing portrayed her as liar.

What an idiot.

Auntieflo Mon 02-Nov-20 13:37:48

Amber Rudd??
Perhaps Amber Heard though.

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 13:19:07

Johnny Depp denied an article in the Sun alleging he was 'a wife beater'. There was a lengthy trial during which the Judge heard evidence from Mr Depp and his former wife, Amber Heard.

The Judge found that the article was substantially true. He concluded that 12 of 14 incidents alleged in the article actually happened.

The case didn't paint either of this couple in a positive light. Nonetheless, I am pleased that Mr Depp has been found by an independent Judge, who heard extensive evidence, to have been a 'wife beater' during his relationship with Amber Rudd. Women suffer violence of the type found to have been experienced by Amber Rudd, all too often. Men deny, minimise, accuse the women of being mentally ill, of exaggerating or of making it up.

--

OP edited by GNHQ to change the name for accuracy