Gransnet forums

News & politics

What does a President Biden mean for the UK?

(111 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:05:11

Just that

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:23:52

I'd call it utterly delusional not to see that. The whole world sees it, and the EU in particular.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 20:21:26

Wishful thinking biba....that’s all.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:17:41

the EU hold all the cards now, and Biden all the Jokers.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:16:13

busines and diplomacy does require a certain amount of honesty and trust for it to work. But i do believe he will be ousted by his own party, or just throw in the towel with some excuse of other. Watch - this - space.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 19:56:34

Why will he be gone biba ? It doesn’t matter if the ‘EU’ don’t trust him, any deals will soon either be done ( or not.)
Nor does it matter if Biden doesn’t trust him ( maybe he won’t trust Biden!) Nothing is personal at those levels, it’s business and diplomacy.
Yes, he will certainly have to surround himself with an experienced and strong team.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 19:44:50

Biden is aware of his age, and will surround himself with an amazing, strong and experienced team.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 19:43:50

he will be gone very soon lemon- very soon indeed. The EU does no trust him (and for very good reasons) and neither does Biden and his team. Would it me amazing if Obama were to be in charge of negotiations smile wow

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 19:43:15

Whitewavemark2

But we do think it will make a big difference in the U.K.

It is becoming quite clear that Biden looks very dimly on Johnson, who sees him as a physical and emotional clone of Trump. Biden sees Johnson as a right wing populist cut from the same cloth as Trump.

He isn’t wrong.

Biden also remembers the jibes Johnson made against Obama, and Biden has a long memory.

Johnson’s close personal relationship with Trump has not gone down well with Biden.

This all adds up to a much more difficult position for No 10 and Brexit.

WW you do seem to have great faith in Biden’s abilities!
A long memory??He didn’t remember his own grand-daughters name recently.
He isn’t Trump, and that’s all he has going for him as far as I can see.He may have been ok twenty years ago.
A relief to see the back of a delusional and very strange DT but would have preferred a better new POTUS.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 19:37:44

Whitewavemark2

One down, one to go

In four years perhaps WW ?

rosecarmel Sat 07-Nov-20 19:35:46

Chongolo74

Trump avoided war in the Middle East. He was the first president to directly engage with a leader of North Korea.
He brought US troops home from the Middle East.
He insisted the Germans contribute to their own defence.
Although he was insulted and attacked time and time again by our media and people like the Mayor of London, he kept up his friendship with the UK and backed us on Brexit. His mistake was not to grovel to the urban liberal elite.

And at least he spoke and acted like a man!

I wish you offered a more complete list of his accomplishments, because he did a good deal more than what you mentioned- His character flaws made it difficult for most people to discuss- Similar occured during the Obama administration, when people were so enamored with his personality that they refused to discuss his failures-

In the meantime, life has become increasingly more difficult for most of us on both of their watches but greatly improved for the chosen few-

Getting ahead in the US is an ongoing struggle- It used to be an achievable pursuit for most but most now can barely keep afloat without going into debt- Thats the stuff that gets discussed at kitchen tables across America, no matter if you are red or blue-

Dont let those happy family photos on Facebook and Instagram fool you- They are treasured, fleeting moments that people deserve more of and not feel forced to pretend everything is more than alright in order to survive-

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 18:56:08

Pound shop Trump has proved to be utterly hopeless.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 18:35:03

CNN have just described Boris Johnson as “in the mould of President Trump”. Yup. It’s yesterday’s look and it won’t serve him well

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 18:32:54

One down, one to go

vegansrock Sat 07-Nov-20 18:10:41

Chongolo74I hate to think what the men in your life speak and act like if you think Trump,is a good example of a man.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:54:50

varian

I agree Lanc I am slightly younger than Joe Biden and have less than half the energy I had five years ago.

I do hope his health remains good for him to do what must be the most demanding job in the world.

Up pops Kamala Harris? how good is that?

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-20 17:50:13

What will be good for the UK form the change of President?
1) he is not a climate change denier so US will probably return to the Climate summits.

2) He will build bridges to Iran and rejoin the agreement between Iran and other countries over the development of nuclear power.

3) Chinese-American relations will become more rational.

All these things are good for Britain. look at this link hwww.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54801409

It can be summed up that all the ntional 'bad boys' are sorry to see him go. Most countries are very glad to see the back of him

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 17:43:36

I agree Lanc I am slightly younger than Joe Biden and have less than half the energy I had five years ago.

I do hope his health remains good for him to do what must be the most demanding job in the world.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:42:45

So will Trump be man enough do you think to give a graceful concession speech?

Lancslass1 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:28:28

I am amazed that anybody of Biden's age would want to take on any job let alone one of the most important jobs in the World.
It will possibly mean that the first black and female President will be in place before the four years are up if he does not feel up to continuing .
I was rather hoping it would be Michelle Obama .
I thought she might have been his running mate.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 17:24:08

Trump was nasty evil rubbish. Biden is at least a decent man. Thank God that we did not have to rely on Trump's "spiritual advisor" Paula White.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/us-election-trump-paula-white-house-prayer-b1616014.html

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:16:29

Every day his words made America a less decent place and a nastier place.

There was nothing manly about Trumps misogyny, racism and behaviour.

Chongolo74 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:04:29

Trump avoided war in the Middle East. He was the first president to directly engage with a leader of North Korea.
He brought US troops home from the Middle East.
He insisted the Germans contribute to their own defence.
Although he was insulted and attacked time and time again by our media and people like the Mayor of London, he kept up his friendship with the UK and backed us on Brexit. His mistake was not to grovel to the urban liberal elite.

And at least he spoke and acted like a man!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 16:27:21

varian

President Biden may not favour the UK as much as President Trump, but it is still in the best interests of the USA, the world and the UK that Trump is defeated. WWm2

Oh yes I get it. Doh!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 16:26:46

CNN have called Biden as President -elect

rosecarmel Sat 07-Nov-20 16:24:13

I understand- But I'm thankful-