Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done Gibraltar.

(32 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 19-Mar-21 17:32:04

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but didn’t the Isle of Man recently unlock only to lockdown again? It worries me that this virus doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon.

Buffybee Fri 19-Mar-21 17:17:41

My friends, same age as me live in Gib and they had both their jabs well before I'd had my first one.
Restaurants and most shops opened a couple of weeks ago and swimming pools this week. To be fair, the population have stuck rigidly to the rules and even wore masks outside, so I hope things go well for them. The only problem will be workers who come over the border from Spain every day, as their vaccination programme is very poor.
I've had a flight changed three times from April 2020 to eventually October this year, fingers crossed, all being well, I'll make it this year.

Pantglas2 Fri 19-Mar-21 17:07:17

That’s brilliant news - a friend’s sister lives there and she says they’ve had four times the number of deaths per head than my county!

Urmstongran Fri 19-Mar-21 17:07:13

Ah that’s great news tanith!

I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek reference thread to the fact that the EU is suing the UK over unfair tax receipts!

- the value of tax exemptions given to multinational companies which it is claimed gave companies with a Gibraltar registration an unfair advantage.

So no money actually changed hands. It is the considered value of what is claimed to be a tax subsidy.

Not sure though why the U.K. government is involved in this?

Gibraltar sets its own tax rates.

Back to the topic ... BRILLIANT NEWS‼️

AGAA4 Fri 19-Mar-21 17:04:09

Good news. We will get there eventually.

NotTooOld Fri 19-Mar-21 16:59:20

Good news, Tanith. I hope you get to see your son soon.

tanith Fri 19-Mar-21 16:56:33

Just watched Matt Hancock tell the house that Gibraltar is the First Nation in the World to complete its adult vaccination programme, the U.K. government have supplied Gibraltar as it has all its overseas territories with PPE, tests and vaccine.
What a super effort all round, the RAF have been delivering supplies direct to the airport.

I have a slight vested interest as my son and his family live there. I live in hopes of visiting them as soon as it’s allowed.