Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish Election 6 weeks away.

(339 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 24-Mar-21 15:30:21

Now that the brouhaha around Salmon has been resolved and become yesterdays chip paper, it is time to turn our thoughts to the forthcoming Scottish Election. As a life long supporter of the SNP and Independence movement, I am confident of a good outcome for us. With a failed vote of no 'confidence' in the First Minister, the latest opinion poll giving a 6 point lead to YES re Independence and a further 12,500 members joining the SNP in the past week there are 'reasons to be cheerful' and hope for a future free of the shackles of an incompetent/corrupt Westminster Government. For me the only current dilemma is whether I should vote SNP 1& 2 or give my list vote to the Greens.

It is probably wishful thinking but I hope any responses to this post will come only/mainly from those Grandsnetters who will be voting in this election.

lemongrove Mon 10-May-21 08:24:58

The tourist industry is big business for Scotland. Visitors come from all over, including England and spend money there, if I was a hotel or B&B owner, or any other owner of a business there that relies on visitors, then yes, I would be worried.
Since you live in Surrey sw then it doesn’t affect you.

suziewoozie Mon 10-May-21 08:11:15

‘The tourist industry is another thing too, as I think it would make English visitors think twice about holidays there.’

First outright laugh of the morning - thank you lemon.

lemongrove Mon 10-May-21 07:39:30

Urmstongran

I can empathise it’s not ‘about the money’.
It’s a visceral longing.

So be it.

Mind you, that Barnett formula worked out in 1978 is long overdue a revisit after more than 40 years. It will come in handy for England if the split does happen!

I doubt that the split will happen, once voters in Scotland realise that joining the EU is doubtful, and the thought of having the euro and a hard border with England are all real possible problems if they were allowed to join.
When such a large part( 60% I believe) of trade is with the rest of the UK from Scotland, it really doesn’t make sense.
The tourist industry is another thing too, as I think it would make English visitors think twice about holidays there.
However, if they do have a referendum and choose to leave the Union then so be it, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

suziewoozie Mon 10-May-21 07:20:37

Callistemon

I was just curious as it seems to be the main topic on the news at the moment!

I wonder why that is? I know I’ve said this before but media manipulation isn’t just about the content of their material but first and foremost deciding what is talked about and thereby what is not talked about.

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 22:29:32

I'll answer one of your questions Call. I'd want independence whether or not Brexit had happened.

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:27:30

It's going to be along time before any referendum. I'll save my energy.
What?! Surely not a generation?

wink

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:26:33

I was just curious as it seems to be the main topic on the news at the moment!

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 22:25:08

And we're off.

What about this, what about that.....

It's going to be along time before any referendum. I'll save my energy.

(Prediction - see, they're just avoiding the difficult questions )

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:22:51

Alegrias1

It's you.

Could you explain the difference please.

I don't have any say in what Scotland decides, but as I voted remain I think we are all better united.
I do understand that Brexit had an impact.
Would you still have wanted another referendum if the EU vote had gone the other way?

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:17:37

Callistemon

Explain

That wasn't addressed to you, Forsythia, it was to Alegrias.

SueDonim Sun 09-May-21 22:16:04

This is a very silly example but I'm going to use it anyway. When I was young I could have stayed in my mum's house and been happy and comfortable and not taken any chances. But I went into the world and for a while I was hard up but I made my own way and eventually had a nice life. That's what I want for Scotland.

It’s fine to choose poverty for yourself. It’s not fine to choose it for other people.

And why can’t non-domiciled Scots have a vote on such a referendum? They’re still Scottish.

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:15:09

Explain

Forsythia Sun 09-May-21 22:09:57

Callistemon

Forsythia

My view is let all four countries have their independence. Let them all go it alone and see if they prosper. However, if they don’t, then on their heads be it. What are the arguments for staying as we are. What do we all gain from it? Very little from my point of view, just constant bitterness and arguments. So, why can’t we all have a referendum on independence? I’d vote for that.

The majority of people in Wales are not asking for independence or even a referendum.

In fact, the Conservatives beat Plaid Cymru into 3rd place.

Why should you vote for Wales's independence when they clearly do not want it?

If they do not want it, then they won’t vote for it will they? But those of us in England might also like a vote on independence from the other three. Something nobody ever considers.

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 22:07:18

It's you.

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:06:22

This is a very silly example but I'm going to use it anyway. When I was young I could have stayed in my mum's house and been happy and comfortable and not taken any chances. But I went into the world and for a while I was hard up but I made my own way and eventually had a nice life. That's what I want for Scotland

But then join the EU?

The same analogy would apply to those who voted Brexit, then, and helps me to understand why they did.

It seems odd that posters who condemn those who did vote for Brexit are often those posters who applaud the fight for Scottish independence.

Is it me who is confused by this or them?

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 22:01:21

Forsythia

My view is let all four countries have their independence. Let them all go it alone and see if they prosper. However, if they don’t, then on their heads be it. What are the arguments for staying as we are. What do we all gain from it? Very little from my point of view, just constant bitterness and arguments. So, why can’t we all have a referendum on independence? I’d vote for that.

The majority of people in Wales are not asking for independence or even a referendum.

In fact, the Conservatives beat Plaid Cymru into 3rd place.

Why should you vote for Wales's independence when they clearly do not want it?

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 20:53:07

Sorry to be blunt PGAgirl but I don't think you love Scotland at all. You love having a nice place to go on holiday to. We're not Brigadoon, we're a modern country. You love us but you say we play the victim, you grudge us investment and we're not an attractive prospect for investment anyway. Would you have the same opinion about Liverpool, or Newcastle? Or is it just that you think we're getting above our station? Well you'll be glad to be rid of us, I'm sure.

PGAgirl Sun 09-May-21 20:42:07

We feel very strongly that our ship building industry was taken away from the south coast ports and given to Scotland for political reasons not economic. Many men and women lost their jobs, their future gone, these jobs that were considered a very good and safe industry to get into. I love Scotland, I holiday occasionally in Edinburgh but I do get fed up with you playing the victim all the time, when other people have been severely affected by your need for investment, investment that seems to be only provided by the UK Government. If you were that attractive a proposition for investment you would have attracted it yourself.

Urmstongran Sun 09-May-21 20:23:22

I can empathise it’s not ‘about the money’.
It’s a visceral longing.

So be it.

Mind you, that Barnett formula worked out in 1978 is long overdue a revisit after more than 40 years. It will come in handy for England if the split does happen!

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 20:23:16

Dear me.....

And they wonder why we want to leave.....

You can have your nuclear submarines. Good luck convincing some unsuspecting local council to accept them. And your opinion of the politics of the islands is interesting. I guess you mean Orkney and Shetland? Cos I know you don't mean Skye, or Lewis, or Harris, or Coll, or Tiree, or Colonsay, or Arran....och, I'm bored now.

PGAgirl Sun 09-May-21 20:17:46

I am all for Scottish independence and most of us in the south of England are, we will get our industries back that were moved to Scotland for political reasons, shipbuilding, submarine base, for a start and many more will all come back to England. The money we save on the Barnet formula, which was supposed to be a temporary measure when introduced can be used to invest in England. No way can the Scots use sterling either as a currency or to prop up their currency, the ever increasing Scots national debt should not be allowed to undermine our currency. The Scottish Islands must be allowed to stay in the UK as they do not consider themselves part of an independent Scotland. It annoys me that the SM has taken credit for the success of the vaccine roll out in Scotland, it was nothing to do with her, it was down to the foresight and planning of the UK Conservative Government, Scots would probably not had a vaccine if it was left to the SM, they procrastinate as much as the EU.

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 20:15:50

Thanks Ug

Alegrias1 Sun 09-May-21 20:14:52

Yes, I know. confused. Strange lad. Bit hung up about witches.....

Took all his followers with him and gave them posts at court. Apparently that's why Scots got a reputation for being money grabbing - they got the jobs over the English lords. I don't know if that's really true though, it could be apocryphal.

Devorgilla Sun 09-May-21 20:10:20

And her son, Alegrias1, when named as Elizbeth 1's successor, came straight to London and never went back.

Urmstongran Sun 09-May-21 20:08:03

I quite understand Alegrias. Thank you for explaining. I get it now. Took me a while but hey ho!

My Brexit reasons were what was important to me.
(Posters still ask me - or assume they know my views). ?
Just as your reasons are what are important to you.

Good luck.