Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid funeral rules ..yes it's about PP funeral

(121 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 06:57:05

The rules say only 30 people can attend a funeral and a lot has been made of the fact that the RF are following this rule. Now it seems that 30 people are going to be in the chapel but 750 members of the armed forces will be in attendance to do a bit of marching and band playing.

How come 30 means 30 to the rest of us but 30 can be 780 for this funeral?

Not being particularly anti RF. Just seems an unnecessary Covid spreading risk.

Dinahmo Sat 17-Apr-21 19:14:35

Alegrias1

www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/april/17/210417-sailors-and-marines-key-role-in-duke-of-edinburgh-funeral

After a week of intensive training at HMS Collingwood and the Army’s base at Pirbright in Surrey, they will form part of the 750-strong military presence in the final act of the Duke’s long, dutiful life in Windsor.

We don't make these things up you know.

I wasn't suggesting that you were making it up. I read that there would be 750 servicemen involved but the way some have been complaining they seemed to think that 750 people would be crowded together and not social distancing.

Kali2 I agree about the flowers and always think the money would be much better donated. Some people take the plastic off but most don't.

Whenever there's such an event I tend to think of the florists/supermarkets rubbing their hands together with glee at the profits they're going to make.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Apr-21 19:11:58

The Royal Family or ‘the firm’ is ruthlessly abusive That old lady should never have sat in her grief on her own Why couldn’t Sophie and Edward who live at Windsor (do they I think they do) be her bubble
All this stiff upper lip stuff is so out of tune and so out of date
No wonder they are all mixed up (well most of them)
I didn’t watch it but did see a picture of her in her mask looking such a lonely little figure, totally abusive

Sara1954 Sat 17-Apr-21 19:11:01

I hate all this, can’t we just have one day before people start criticising everything?
No, obviously not!
I know the Royal Family can never do right for doing wrong, but this was a dignified send off for a much loved family member, who also happened to be a Prince.

Kali2 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:58:52

Wondering how people feel about those flowers?

People were told by the Royal family NOT to buy and bring flowers, but to contribute to a charity instead. And yet people bought 1000s of bouquets, with all the plastic, etc, involved, which the Duke would have hated.

Personally, I feel this was disrespectful, as it was against the express wishes of the deceased and his family. Can it be a mark of respect to disrespect wishes?

Alegrias1 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:58:19

www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/april/17/210417-sailors-and-marines-key-role-in-duke-of-edinburgh-funeral

After a week of intensive training at HMS Collingwood and the Army’s base at Pirbright in Surrey, they will form part of the 750-strong military presence in the final act of the Duke’s long, dutiful life in Windsor.

We don't make these things up you know.

Dinahmo Sat 17-Apr-21 18:52:09

I've just seen the news, having missed the actual event. I didn't see 750 servicemen in the quadrangle and those that were there were distanced - certainly more than 1m apart.

From what I saw it was dignified and despite being low key, compared with most Royal funerals I thought it was impressive. When it comes to ceremony we Brits do it better than every other country.

As for the comment about Prince Charles looking at the flowers - what was he supposed to do? Imagine the outcry had all those flowers been ignored.

Sara1954 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:08:52

I think this all in very poor taste.
I can’t believe today of all days, that anyone could be so petty.

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 18:04:04

To be fair those who usually criticise have made no comment today.

I know they might have chosen not to watch, but there was nothing about the actual proceedings which could really cause offence.

Calendargirl Sat 17-Apr-21 18:02:20

It was a lovely service on a lovely day, and very dignified.

Hear, hear! Totally agree.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:01:06

I thought the service, especially the music was beautiful.

To see the queen sitting on her own, like many widows have had to do during the pandemic so very poignant.

Harry and William talking after the service, didn’t appear to be fraught or forced.

grandmajet Sat 17-Apr-21 17:53:29

Totally agree, rafichagran, some people just look for things to criticise. I think it’s their hobby, thinking up new spiteful things to say.

rafichagran Sat 17-Apr-21 17:43:38

I accidentally posted on the other thread, but I have to say that some people and posters are just looking for things to feel annoyed or offended by.
It was a lovely service on a lovely day, and very dignified.
The military would have worked anyway, they all had masks and they would have all been covid tested. Much safer I would say than joining the Primark queue.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:22:04

Daisend1

I am sure were it not for Covid the world would have observed a funeral like no other, apart that is, from Princess Diana's.

I doubt his funeral would have been that unusual compared with other ceremonial and state funerals. What about the Queen Mother's? Or Churchill's and the famous bowing cranes? Even Thatcher's.

Iam64 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:14:33

Flowers - the palace said please don’t leave them. The public did as it pleased. Charles went to have a look, they’re tributes to his father. He’d be called heartless and rude if he didn’t and he’s grieving so like anyone else, may feel the need to do something.

The flowers have to be binned. They can’t be recycled in the compost as most are in wrapping the won’t compost. Redistribution a non starter.

Daisend1 Thu 15-Apr-21 14:40:19

I am sure were it not for Covid the world would have observed a funeral like no other, apart that is, from Princess Diana's.

3nanny6 Thu 15-Apr-21 14:39:33

Yes plenty of flowers have been left and it is true they can be re-homed in many different places.

A huge brass band doing the music and I thought that the D of E didn't want any fuss. Why do they need a huge brass band?
I am not critical of them and hope they just have the funeral they want and lay him to rest peacefully.

I have posted on a few of these threads but they are getting tiresome now and all you get are the hypocritical Royal Family police that think they know everything.

I posted yesterday that Princess Alice was born in Windsor Castle and she died there and was buried in the Vault in Windsor Castle. I only heard that on one of the documentaries over the weekend.
Someone had to post she died in Buckingham Palace and they were right but she was still buried in Windsor Castle though and then 20 years later they moved her remains to
Jerusalem I mean if her wishes were to be buried in Jerusalem why wait 20 years to do it?
Getting fed up hearing it all now and will not post or go on any more of these threads I have better things to do and don't need any more history lessons.

EllanVannin Thu 15-Apr-21 14:33:55

We'll miss all the dignitaries that usually attend these occasions as I like watching who's who and how they've aged.
Good job it wasn't this time last year when only 9 people were allowed.

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 14:24:36

Imagine if the flowers were given to food bank recipients,
GN would explode from the number of threads

ixion Thu 15-Apr-21 14:19:17

No, of course not.
Of course they can look at them and read the messages if one can't think of an appropriate way to 'rehome' them - flowers, not the Royal couple. (The elderly, lonely, care homes, food bank recipients via the many official volunteers working though this pandemic etc).
But to have the official footage broadcast for everyone to see, in what can be seen as a ringing endorsement - and not questioned?

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 14:09:33

Not mixed messages , should the flowers have been binned , this is all so petty, waiting for something to leap on if a member of a family grieving blinks an eye. Hope the critics will record the funeral so they can watch and rewind if they think they saw someone not doing as expected

ixion Thu 15-Apr-21 14:01:27

'No flowers please' says the Palace, mindful of Covid restrictions in place.
Today, Prince Charles inspects the many flowers left in tribute by well wishers.
Mixed messages?

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 13:58:35

Anniebach

Would Charles not have been tested when he had the virus ?

William and Kate were working when they crossed into Scotland

Charles was confirmed to have Covid late March last year, when tests were being confined to people like health care workers and were not widely available. The rest of us were being told we'd get tested if our lips turned blue and we got sent to hospital. After he somehow managed to get himself tested, he and Camilla were mysteriously transported to the Balmoral Estate.

Downing Street, Holyrood and the Welsh Parliament were all lukewarm about William and Catherine's little jolly round the country just as we were all about to go back into lockdown, but Number 10 capitulated no doubt after some subtle pressure from the Firm.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 13:52:06

GrannyGravy13

There seems to be fretting about whether or not crowds will gather in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace.

No problem with the crowds queuing to get into Primark, TK Max or multiple other shopping Centres on Monday? Has anyone not seen the videos from Soho and other entertainment/bar areas?

There hasn’t been a spike in Covid daily figures since the vigils or any of the protests against the Government last month?

I’ve seen the videos and I’m glad I live in a small well behaved market town.

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 13:49:21

If they were shopping in the high Street doubt they were wealthy so they are not criticised

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 13:45:36

There seems to be fretting about whether or not crowds will gather in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace.

No problem with the crowds queuing to get into Primark, TK Max or multiple other shopping Centres on Monday? Has anyone not seen the videos from Soho and other entertainment/bar areas?

There hasn’t been a spike in Covid daily figures since the vigils or any of the protests against the Government last month?