Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dianne Abbott gaffes again

(133 Posts)
tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 16:10:38

I see Ms Abbott has claimed the female activist seriously injured at a party at 3am was shot due to her campaigning for equal rights for black people. Turns out she was shot by black males shooting from a car - probably gang related.

I wonder if the lady herself would still want the police to be defunded seeing as they are working hard to find the culprits. Maybe if they had been stopped and searched before they were able to drive about shooting indiscriminately it wouldn’t have happened.

I wonder if Ms Abbott will rectify her initial statement?

Callistemon Sat 29-May-21 14:54:20

JaneJudge

She is 67 and diabetic. If she had have gone out in mis matched shoes, surely the correct response would be concern not ridicule.

I was 47ish when I went out in mismatched shoes and not diabetic either.

It was a case of having too much to do, being distracted and rushing.

Deedaa Sat 29-May-21 13:32:38

One of my friends who was in her late 30s and very on the ball once came to work in odd shoes. Same style but one was black and the other was blue. It took us hours to notice and no one felt the need to belittle her. It happens.

JaneJudge Sat 29-May-21 13:25:32

She is 67 and diabetic. If she had have gone out in mis matched shoes, surely the correct response would be concern not ridicule.

Galaxy Sat 29-May-21 12:58:08

Because it's becoming downright weird.

tickingbird Sat 29-May-21 12:54:28

Pippa Explain how my joke fell flat. Is it because you said so?

PippaZ Sat 29-May-21 12:52:33

I'm neither peeved, cross or amused by jokes that fall flat. tickingbird.

Perhaps, at some point, someone will let you know just how childish your obsession with me is. It's becoming embarrassing but I know it's just because you love me blush

tickingbird Sat 29-May-21 12:52:07

It was widely reported at the time and I believe it to be true, that the mis-matched shoes story was fake. The picture had been photoshopped. I don’t believe for one minute that DA went out in odd shoes and my OP has nothing to do with her being a Labour MP.

Someone has now been charged with the attempted murder of Sasha Johnson and he’s a young, black male and I doubt she was the intended target. The whole point of this thread was is DA wrong to make a statement likely to inflame racial tension by saying Sasha was targeted because she is an activist for black rights? In my opinion DA was wrong to link the shooting to racism.

Galaxy Sat 29-May-21 12:46:37

How odd.

tickingbird Sat 29-May-21 12:44:26

Pippa I don’t have to explain my jokes. You’re telling me I do because you’re peeved. There, there....

Sparkling Fri 28-May-21 22:55:07

I think she is an ideal Labour Party MP. Someone to aspire to, I do wish posters would not resort to people's appearance, it's s o childish.

Nanna58 Fri 28-May-21 22:23:16

Oh I can be as equally disappointed in the calibre if Conservative PM/ MP’s as those in the Labour Party Galaxy, am not limited in seeing their short comings by partisanship.

Callistemon Fri 28-May-21 22:19:57

I wish mine was an affectation because I'd stop it.

Galaxy Fri 28-May-21 22:17:38

You must be very disappointed in Johnson then, I would say he cant even brush his hair, except we all know that is a deliberate affectation.

Nanna58 Fri 28-May-21 22:16:23

Pardon, Alegrias ( spell check )

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 22:16:12

tickingbird

Pippa you sound rather cross. Who’s upset you today?

If that sounds cross to you, you have a very strange slant on life. If you have to explain your "jokes" (and do) and think people are cross when they have said nothing to suggest that ... ...

Callistemon Fri 28-May-21 22:15:49

Nanna58

Oh dear Algeria’s , my mismatched shoes post seems to have peeved you! At the very, very least I expect an MP to be able , unlike a toddler, to dress themselves appropriately.n

It didn't peeve me, anyway!
I still laugh about it now.

In mitigation, I had a lot to cope with at the time as well as working.

Nanna58 Fri 28-May-21 22:12:21

Oh dear Algeria’s , my mismatched shoes post seems to have peeved you! At the very, very least I expect an MP to be able , unlike a toddler, to dress themselves appropriately.n

Ellan Fri 28-May-21 21:22:07

It's rather odd, or not, depending on your ethics, how Diane Abbott is vilified for making a remark (remarks) that seem to incite such excitement, when 152,068 deaths are attributed to Covid, according to Gov.UK.
Quite remarkable actually

tickingbird Fri 28-May-21 21:03:08

Pippa you sound rather cross. Who’s upset you today?

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 19:04:53

tickingbird

Yes ok. I hold my hands up. I’m really working for Boris and started this thread with the sole intention of diverting everyone’s attention away from Cummings.

As Maizie said it was known for weeks he was going before to appear before the committee so I’ve had plenty of time to arrange the dreadful shooting in Peckham and then just sit back and wait for DA to open her mouth and get it wrong as usual.

Maizie you’re beyond ridicule.

Mmm. The thing is people's humour varies. All I can suggest is you don't give up your day job or you may end up having to explain all your "jokes" to the audience. Sadly. For them. You know what they say. If you have to explain the joke ... ...

tinaf1 Fri 28-May-21 18:51:47

GrannyGravy13

I am genuinely interested to know why any criticism of Diane Abbott is not on whilst all criticisms of all Conservative MPs and their supporters are fair game?

I’ve been wondering that myself GG13

lemongrove Fri 28-May-21 17:52:05

??? ticking .....love it!

tickingbird Fri 28-May-21 17:37:22

Yes ok. I hold my hands up. I’m really working for Boris and started this thread with the sole intention of diverting everyone’s attention away from Cummings.

As Maizie said it was known for weeks he was going before to appear before the committee so I’ve had plenty of time to arrange the dreadful shooting in Peckham and then just sit back and wait for DA to open her mouth and get it wrong as usual.

Maizie you’re beyond ridicule.

MaizieD Fri 28-May-21 10:42:37

Urmstongran

Just pay attention will you tickingbird to your elders and betters! Life’s easier on here if we don’t try to have opinions of our own.
?

Quite honestly, Ug, if people don't pay attention to what is going on then their opinions may be regarded as less valid because they are making them from a position of relative ignorance.

I found it a very weird hmm that someone posting about a political situation didn't seem to be aware of all the pre-publicity.

Of course, if you're only looking out for iniquities in the Labour Party you might be able to miss a lot of what else is going on in the world of politics...

maddyone Fri 28-May-21 09:53:56

I also forgot my specs one day and had to spend the whole day working in my sunglasses. I was very cool.

grin