Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dianne Abbott gaffes again

(133 Posts)
tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 16:10:38

I see Ms Abbott has claimed the female activist seriously injured at a party at 3am was shot due to her campaigning for equal rights for black people. Turns out she was shot by black males shooting from a car - probably gang related.

I wonder if the lady herself would still want the police to be defunded seeing as they are working hard to find the culprits. Maybe if they had been stopped and searched before they were able to drive about shooting indiscriminately it wouldn’t have happened.

I wonder if Ms Abbott will rectify her initial statement?

lemongrove Fri 28-May-21 09:44:37

Urmstongran

Just pay attention will you tickingbird to your elders and betters! Life’s easier on here if we don’t try to have opinions of our own.
?

I think that Pippaz’s above offerings show that.?

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 09:24:38

Oh - and I wouldn't downgrade your obvious intelligence.

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 09:23:50

Isn't an opinion based on no knowledge just pre-judging something or, as we would use that word these days prejudice?

I have tried to find how others would describe it and the offerings were "prejudice", "closed-minded" or "small-minded" or even "willfully ignorant"

You seem to wear you "opinionated" with pride but I doubt that is how others see it.

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 09:12:45

I’ve never claimed to be intelligent.
?
Just opinionated.

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 09:03:10

Urmstongran

Just pay attention will you tickingbird to your elders and betters! Life’s easier on here if we don’t try to have opinions of our own.
?

People have so often complained about the way those with "less education" are grouped together and shouted at the world that they are just as intellegent.

I agree and so, it appears, does Karl Popper - the writer of that quote.

Hence the only obvious reason for not aquiring knowledge they are perfectly capable of reading about and absorbing, especially in this day and age, is because they deliberately refuse to do so.

theworriedwell Fri 28-May-21 08:34:07

Sparkling

I don't think she thinks before she talks, does anyone take any notice really, she's just there.

Maybe as a black woman who has had suffered racist abuse for years she was shocked and upset that another prominent black woman was shot and reacted. I mean MPs shouldn't have any human reaction should they?

Lucca Fri 28-May-21 08:12:28

Urmstongran

?

Oh sure.....

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 08:10:43

?

MaizieD Fri 28-May-21 08:05:04

This Cummings show wasn’t even in the news when I started this thread.

Oh, such injured innocence...

Of course, Cumming's projected appearance before the Select Committee hadn't been known of for weeks and he hadn't posted a long series of teaser tweets last week which were being noted in the media?

Oh no, Thursday's revelations came as a complete surprise. Criticism of Diane Abbott 2 days before was sheer coincidence...

PippaZ Fri 28-May-21 07:45:15

GrannyGravy13

I am genuinely interested to know why any criticism of Diane Abbott is not on whilst all criticisms of all Conservative MPs and their supporters are fair game?

May be it's because it so often shows a genuine ignorance of the facts GrannyGravy13 by people who are obviously capable of acquiring it.

“True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it.”

Sparkling Fri 28-May-21 05:48:54

I don't think she thinks before she talks, does anyone take any notice really, she's just there.

tickingbird Thu 27-May-21 21:16:28

Polarbear2 What?? Well DC is having fun destroying ABJ so you have a look round desperately thinking oh oh let’s find a Labour person we can have a pop at to make ourselves feel superior again. I know, let’s diss DA. She’s always good for a dig. It’s pathetic schoolgirl bullying. Find the weak girl and pull her hair

This Cummings show wasn’t even in the news when I started this thread.

Do keep up. Try and read a thread before posting such nonsense. Attempting to divert away from Cummings indeed! I couldn’t care less about him or his revelations and don’t take kindly to being likened to the schoolyard bully.

It’s also not relevant that DA is a labour MP. That isn’t what this is about.

Pathetic!

theworriedwell Thu 27-May-21 20:52:07

lemongrove

What do you mean by ‘get away with it’ ? I have seen many posts on GN about Priti Patel and most of them unpleasant.
Ditto for Dianne Abbott.None are racist though, as all the posts simply think they are both incompetent or promoted above their paygrade as it were.

Look at how the media treated them, DA made a mistake in a calculation she was vilified. PP couldn't read a number, it was barely mentioned.

PP might be hated on GN but she has definitely got away with more than DA.

trisher Thu 27-May-21 20:00:17

I think Luckygirl should read Jack Monroe's piece and find out what a ground breaking woman Dianne Abbott has been and how she has stood up for women, black people and the poor in spite of abuse and condemnation. If she is becoming less capable it doesn't detract from all the good work she has done. And all acheived through her own efforts.

Riverwalk Thu 27-May-21 11:33:09

Luckygirl

She needs to go - she has been a liability from day one. I wonder who will have the courage to sack her.

Based on interviews, Dianne Abbott is certainly past her best these days but a liability from day one - do you really mean that Luckygirl?

I can't think how that's a fair description of her long career as an MP.

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 09:51:58

What do you mean by ‘get away with it’ ? I have seen many posts on GN about Priti Patel and most of them unpleasant.
Ditto for Dianne Abbott.None are racist though, as all the posts simply think they are both incompetent or promoted above their paygrade as it were.

theworriedwell Thu 27-May-21 09:41:38

Witzend

IMO it’s racist to apply different, less critical standards to anyone, purely because they’re black. Wouldn’t that imply that they’re intrinsically less capable/trustworthy/whatever?

Given general attitudes at the BBC, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if more allowances were made for Martin Bashir, because he’s brown.

What about when black people get more criticism. Why can Priti Patel get away with it, is it because she's a Conservative or because she has lighter skin?

Casdon Thu 27-May-21 09:28:19

The party of the politician is irrelevant, there have been plenty of threads about politicians of all parties on here - Starmer only a couple of weeks ago, Sturgeon, and Salmond to name but three. All are treated in the same way, with vehement pro and anti posts.

Witzend Thu 27-May-21 09:26:33

IMO it’s racist to apply different, less critical standards to anyone, purely because they’re black. Wouldn’t that imply that they’re intrinsically less capable/trustworthy/whatever?

Given general attitudes at the BBC, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if more allowances were made for Martin Bashir, because he’s brown.

theworriedwell Thu 27-May-21 09:24:35

GrannyGravy13

I am genuinely interested to know why any criticism of Diane Abbott is not on whilst all criticisms of all Conservative MPs and their supporters are fair game?

Yes like when DA got a calculation wrong and the press went on and on about it. Priti Patel couldn't even read a number and it was all glossed over.

theworriedwell Thu 27-May-21 09:22:42

Luckygirl

Swimming speedily through this tsunami of criticism I would just say that:

- I know that she is a Labour MP
- I know that she cannot be sacked from that role - unless she commits an offence.
- I know that a member of either cabinet can be sacked by the leader
- I grovel before you all for failing to say that I was referring to the Shadow Cabinet
- further grovelling for mistakenly thinking she was in the Shadow Cabinet still.

Enough grovelling for one morning!

I would just say that sometimes people get stuff wrong and correcting them can be done pleasantly. smile

Guess you know how Diane Abbot feels.

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 09:20:00

If a thread had been started to show that Johnson was wrong about something he said, then it would have gone exactly as you demonstrate above Aleg.....you can’t have it both ways.
Posters are critical of politicians in a personal way, all politicians, so why should Dianne Abbot be treated with kid gloves?

Alegrias1 Thu 27-May-21 09:13:53

Johnson's hair - he uses it as a ploy to make him seem more friendly.

Johnson's dress sense - is appalling

Personal life choices - show us the kind of man he is. Untrustworthy, lying, charlatan.

Hancock is out of his depth. Gove is a sneaky b****** who would stab you in the back as soon as look at you.

This thread started as one discussing whether Abbot was right to say what she did. Good topic. The third post was about her mismatched shoes. By the end of page one she was Dippy Diane. Go figure.

Callistemon Thu 27-May-21 09:08:53

Luckygirl

And again!

Ignore, Luckygirl!
(Notice my strategically placed comma grin)

It's the only thing to do.

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 09:08:19

Luckygirl smile just ignore the silly and personal remarks aimed at you.

PippaZ you mean payback not feedback.
What clique is Luckygirl in then? The opposite clique to you presumably.
You could ‘equally say that critisism on politicians could be done for their politics and not about them personally’ but that would rule out almost every post on Boris Johnson ( made by your own ‘clique’.) Just saying!