Gransnet forums

News & politics

Swiss-EU trade deal collapses ...

(45 Posts)
Gwyneth Thu 27-May-21 19:13:31

Yes thanks urmstongran I hadn’t heard either. I always read your posts because you’re up to date with what’s happening. My ‘go to’ poster. ??

Casdon Thu 27-May-21 17:54:47

Watch this space, next will be a trade deal between Switzerland and the UK. Cuckoo clocks, Toblerone, very good watches and Gruyere cheese will be cheap and plentiful.

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 17:41:43

Well Kali I would think I have looked at maps as often as you have yourself ( maybe more) so I do know where Switzerland is situated thanks.Am not actually waving the Swiss flag....are you?
Good for any country that doesn’t just crumble to EU demands though.

Kali2 Thu 27-May-21 17:36:20

Have you ever looked at a map lemongrove. Waving the flag is all very well- reality is another story!

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 16:59:13

Good for Switzerland btw ?

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 16:58:10

Greece didn’t meet the financial requirements to become an EU member, as I remember it, but it was a long time ago so maybe wrong on that.

Kali2 Thu 27-May-21 16:52:03

Namsnanny

But there never have been the same rules for everyone have there?
Greece should never have been allowed to join, but it suited Germany so hey presto!

Which rules are different for Greece? Have they been allowed to not adhere to Free Movement?

maddyone Thu 27-May-21 10:59:22

Urmstongrangrin

Urmstongran Thu 27-May-21 10:56:22

maddyone

Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I hadn’t heard this piece of news, so thank you for enlightening me Urmstongran.

I’m just a news wonk maddyone!

Namsnanny Thu 27-May-21 10:51:11

But there never have been the same rules for everyone have there?
Greece should never have been allowed to join, but it suited Germany so hey presto!

Kali2 Thu 27-May-21 10:35:26

Had Brexit not happened, Switzerland would probably have been able to bend the rules a bit - but Brexit makes that totally impossible as the EU, quite rightly so, says, same rules for everyone. Quite simple, really.

Kali2 Thu 27-May-21 10:34:16

There is no bullying - to be a member of the EU, or to have a special reciprocal agreement, you can't cherry pick. Switzerland has had to accept Free Movement to have such special agreement- and now they want to stop this. It has natural consequences and puts the agreement at risk.

Very simple. And very dangerous for a tiny country absolutely surrounded by EU, for imports, exports, and for supply chains and labour. And very stupid posturing and misplaced nationalism. As Raab said, never under-estimate the reality of our geographical position with regard to those you choose to no longer have as partners.

maddyone Thu 27-May-21 10:29:58

Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I hadn’t heard this piece of news, so thank you for enlightening me Urmstongran.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-May-21 10:23:22

a while ago. =. a couple of hours ago as I am #lazygran this morning indulging in some self-pampering (suns out so body parts hidden for many many months will be out )

Urmstongran Thu 27-May-21 10:22:16

The EU are warning Switzerland about their supply of electricity. Threats again.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-May-21 10:21:23

I read this a while ago Urmstongran

henetha Thu 27-May-21 10:18:49

Thank heavens we are out from under the thumb.

Urmstongran Thu 27-May-21 10:17:37

I see that VDL's motley crew are now accusing Switzerland of "cherry picking". I thought we'd already tried to strip the fruit trees of Brussels bare, at least according to that over-bearing Frenchman, no, not Macron but the pompous Barnier. The next EU demand will be to allow their fishing fleets to trawl the Swiss lakes.

I’ve just been reading several articles on this topic as you can tell.
?

Urmstongran Thu 27-May-21 10:12:19

EU bullying fails again.

Urmstongran Wed 26-May-21 21:35:50

Switzerland said "no deal" to Brussels’ freedom of movement demands and pulled out of seven years of tortured trade negotiations with the European Union on Wednesday.

Bern pulled the plug after years of difficult talks over Single Market access that are reminiscent of the European Commission’s Brexit negotiations with the UK over the past four years.

Shades of Brexit negotiations as Swiss government rejects European Union overtures following seven years of diplomatic wrangling.

Seems Democracy is still alive in Switzerland.

The Swiss are no fools and have emphatically rejected an EU trade deal with Brussels' rules and regulations, the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice and free benefits to workers from the EU.

Typically, the EU has immediately threatened reprisals.