Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yay‼️ GB News Channel about to launch ...

(476 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 26-May-21 22:33:19

GB News will attempt to shake up the broadcasting landscape when the news network launches its TV channel in early June.

The news service, spearheaded by veteran broadcaster Andrew Neil, has announced plans to go live on Sunday June 13.

In a tweet, the channel said it would launch at 8pm with a special programme, 'Welcome to GB News'.

I can’t wait!
????

MerylStreep Sat 03-Jul-21 11:32:49

Caroline Flint and Ester McVey presenting a programme together this morning. I don’t think some of you would expect that ?

Dinahmo Tue 29-Jun-21 17:33:45

Chestnut in order to increase their viewing figures they need to change their output I would think. I honestly can't see how they will do that.

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 16:27:38

The viewing figures have been good at times, but it's early days to know whether the channel will becomes established and consistently reach higher figures. I would not expect high viewing figure at this early stage.

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 16:06:35

Any yet...

Well would you believe it. Andrew Neil was celebrating last night as his GB News show beat out rivals to claim the number one news spot. Last night Neil's flagship 8pm interview show brought in 92,500 viewers - while competing with huge European football matches. Audience data shows the former This Week presenter scored three times higher than Sky News at the same time, and 24,000 more than BBC News.

Remind me who posted that Chestnut? Are we only allowed to quote stats that support the channel?

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 15:58:23

As I've said before, this is a new channel which has only been going a couple of weeks and is just finding its feet. The BBC and others have been going for many decades and are well established, so comparing their viewing figures is rather unfair at this time.

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 15:27:57

Oh, is there a limit now on how many times a person can post? I must have missed that.

Perhaps if you read my posts rather than just counting them, you'd have seen that I said this morning that I thought they would change their approach instead of banging on with something that didn't appeal to the public.

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 15:22:45

Alegrias1

I'll comment on it because this is an internet forum, and that's what you do on an internet forum.

I've seen it, it really is dreadful. Clearly many people agree because their viewing figures have fallen off a cliff.

So you don't like it and you've made that point very clearly several times. What more do you need to say? All you seem to be doing is gloating at the prospect of it failing.

Dinahmo Tue 29-Jun-21 15:01:35

Lemongrove The figures show that lots of people aren't watching it. I have watched it and my comments are further back (not all bad)

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:39:44

I'll comment on it because this is an internet forum, and that's what you do on an internet forum.

I've seen it, it really is dreadful. Clearly many people agree because their viewing figures have fallen off a cliff.

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 14:27:47

The attitude from some on here makes me laugh, it’s a new news channel which lots of people are watching if they want to, alongside watching other news channels.So what?If you don’t want to watch it, don’t, and don’t then bother to comment on it perhaps, I mean, why would you?
I still haven’t seen it and I suspect that many commenting on it haven’t either.?

Dinahmo Tue 29-Jun-21 14:17:42

Chestnut

That's your opinion, but you seem unable to comprehend that others might feel differently and not agree with you. How about allowing people to make up their own minds instead of dictating your views to them?

The audience has made up its mind - by not watching. No one was dictating, just commenting.

25Avalon Tue 29-Jun-21 14:06:12

Alegrias when you think how large our population is that’s an awful lot who don’t watch any news at all even if you add them all together. Maybe ignorance is bliss!

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 12:45:19

25Avalon

I wonder Alegrias how many in the population watch any news at all regardless of which channel?

Viewer numbers for Thursday 24th June:

BBC News at Ten: 3.6 million
BBC News 1pm: 2.4 million
ITV News at Ten: 1.5 million
BBC Breakfast: 1.4 million
BBC Question Time: 1.3 million
Good Morning Britain: 717,000
BBC News 9am: 294,000
BBC Newsnight: 286,000
Kay Burley, Sky: 54,000
Sky News Ian King: 42,000
Great British Breakfast on GB News: 32,000
Andrew Neil: 31,000
GB News DePerio & Halligan 16,000
GB News Brazier & Muroki: 11,000

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1454677/GB-News-viewing-figures-week-2-ratings-Andrew-Neil-evg

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Jun-21 12:23:52

Whitewavemark2

It needs the audience to attract the revenue.

I give it a year.

Really?
I think that that is most generous of you

25Avalon Tue 29-Jun-21 12:20:28

I wonder Alegrias how many in the population watch any news at all regardless of which channel?

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 12:15:00

I suspect they might change their approach 25Avalon as they might have misjudged the appetite of the British public for what they have been offering.

I've not seen anybody saying here or elsewhere that they should be taken off the air, or censored, only that they should report responsibly.

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 12:13:25

I agree 25 Avalon and I doubt anyone watches news all day. They maybe dip into it now and then as they would with any news channel. If they like Woke Watch then maybe they tune in at that time I suppose.
It is difficult to sustain unless they scour around for different subjects to discuss. They did promise to cover things that matter around the country rather than just what's going on in the government, so I hope they manage that.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Jun-21 12:10:34

It needs the audience to attract the revenue.

I give it a year.

25Avalon Tue 29-Jun-21 12:04:55

I would say their views are right of centre but if people want to watch then they should be able to. I welcome Woke Watch - there are so many things going on out there in the name of wokedom which are plainly ridiculous and make a mockery of being woke in the proper original meaning. Again you can make your own mind up.

I think an all day ‘news’ channel is difficult to sustain. Who wants to watch news type items all day? not many I would think. There are other programmes such as dramas, documentaries and even soaps that people like to watch. If I’m watching Bargain Hunt on BBC1 at lunch time I’ll probably stay watching their News. I dip in to GB news occasionally but not all day every day. I suspect a lot are the same. Time will tell if it’s viable or not. No need to gloat. Chacon son gout.

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Jun-21 11:59:25

Yes, Alegrias, I think that Neil did really underestimate his fanbase.
The Daily Politics it ain't.

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:52:54

Of course I comprehend, don't be so rude.

If people want right wing views, Woke Watch and browbeating instead of debate, then they'll watch it. Clearly, not many people are watching it. So I'm not dictating, I'm observing that maybe Mr Neil's assessment of his audience was not quite right.

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 11:50:03

That's your opinion, but you seem unable to comprehend that others might feel differently and not agree with you. How about allowing people to make up their own minds instead of dictating your views to them?

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:46:29

I would welcome any new news channel that adds to the nation's knowledge and understanding of the world we live in. I'm not inclined to welcome a channel that sows division and thinks that aggressive argument is the same as intelligent interviewing.

And yes, I've watched it.

It seems that the British public aren't as easily led as Mr Neil and his cohorts think they are.

Chestnut Tue 29-Jun-21 11:03:26

Hoping that a new channel fails is pretty pathetic really. I imagine you and your buddies jumping around cheering in delight if the viewing figures go down. I can't understand this vindictive attitude, as I would welcome any new channel and wish it well.

Dinahmo Tue 29-Jun-21 10:53:05

Well, well, well! The viewing figures have dropped to 32,000.
Obviously not as popular as the other news channels. Who'd have thought it given some of the encomiums on here.