Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yay‼️ GB News Channel about to launch ...

(476 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 26-May-21 22:33:19

GB News will attempt to shake up the broadcasting landscape when the news network launches its TV channel in early June.

The news service, spearheaded by veteran broadcaster Andrew Neil, has announced plans to go live on Sunday June 13.

In a tweet, the channel said it would launch at 8pm with a special programme, 'Welcome to GB News'.

I can’t wait!
????

varian Fri 25-Jun-21 20:11:53

Watched it. Utter bilge!

varian Fri 25-Jun-21 20:11:04

I've just way he'd some of the output of Andrew Neil's new channel.

Utter bilge!

I did not expect it to be quite as blatantly dishonest and biased as it is. Wow!

varian Fri 25-Jun-21 13:15:12

I have enormous respect for Angela Merkel, in spite of the fact that she is a centre right politician and I would probably not have voted for her if I were in Germany. IMO she is one of the most widely respected politicians in the world.

Lucca Fri 25-Jun-21 12:50:24

Why shouldn’t she have some respect ? Who do you respect ?

And if you’re still laughing at the words “naff off” after so many hours, I’d recommend seeing your GP.

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:49:50

Goodness me!

Yes!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Merkel

love0c Fri 25-Jun-21 12:47:27

Goodness me, you respect Angela Merkel???

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:43:11

love0c

Just so you know Simon Calder is a travel expert. Guessing you did not know that as you would have realised I was referring to Angela Merkel regarding travel.

Cross post. I know fine who Calder is, thanks.

I don't care who he is, telling someone to naff off is puerile.

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:42:12

Oh, OK then. Telling the respected leaders of other countries to naff off is seen as acceptable these days is it?

I used to rate Calder for his travel information, but he's gone rogue, it seems.

love0c Fri 25-Jun-21 12:40:22

Just so you know Simon Calder is a travel expert. Guessing you did not know that as you would have realised I was referring to Angela Merkel regarding travel.

love0c Fri 25-Jun-21 12:37:25

Sorry Merkel! Still laughing as it was such a tonic to watch! Information given by Calder was excellent regarding travel.

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:28:33

love0c

Maybe he is going on holiday? Really enjoyed GB last night with Simon Calder. He said Merkle can 'naff off'!! Brilliant.

Meghan or Angela?

Neither of whom are called "Merkle", hence the question.

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 12:21:17

Chestnut It doesn't take much to make you cry tears of laughter!
As I've said before, I have a lot of time for Neil, and I do hope that he isn't ill.
I also think that his judgement is good enough to know that distancing himself from GBN may be for the best.
Anyway, we shall see

Chestnut Fri 25-Jun-21 12:14:41

FannyCornforth

So he's distancing himself from his own product!?
Even 'rats leaving a sinking ship' isn't appropriate

Don't be ridiculous! ???
There could be any number of reasons why he is taking a break, including ill health.

Lucca Fri 25-Jun-21 12:04:48

love0c

Maybe he is going on holiday? Really enjoyed GB last night with Simon Calder. He said Merkle can 'naff off'!! Brilliant.

Wow what an incisive comment. Not,

love0c Fri 25-Jun-21 11:56:46

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 11:51:35

If I was a suspicious person I'd think he was off for his 2-week summer hols and this was a way of getting people to talk about GB News again.

Surely not?

On the other hand, and a bit more seriously, he doesn't look well. Could he be ill?

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 11:31:56

So he's distancing himself from his own product!?
Even 'rats leaving a sinking ship' isn't appropriate

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 11:29:56

Riverwalk

Andrew Neil has announced he's taking a break from GB News - it's only been going a couple of weeks!

Wow! That is ridiculous!

Riverwalk Fri 25-Jun-21 11:29:12

Andrew Neil has announced he's taking a break from GB News - it's only been going a couple of weeks!

love0c Thu 24-Jun-21 17:47:26

Interesting. Time will tell.

lemongrove Thu 24-Jun-21 17:31:11

The viewing figures are very good, I haven’t yet had time to watch it but will try to next week.

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 17:29:49

Would I believe it? Well I will when I see the actual source of the figures instead of Mr Neil's take on them. He has form on "massaging" his audience figures.

Chestnut Thu 24-Jun-21 16:49:59

Well would you believe it. Andrew Neil was celebrating last night as his GB News show beat out rivals to claim the number one news spot. Last night Neil's flagship 8pm interview show brought in 92,500 viewers - while competing with huge European football matches. Audience data shows the former This Week presenter scored three times higher than Sky News at the same time, and 24,000 more than BBC News.
GB News figures

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 14:58:46

The viewing figures have gone down in the first week. Someone on here was lauding how well they were doing against the major channels on the opening day. Obviously that was due to novelty value, but sometimes it not worth trying to explain. You can't have it both ways.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Jun-21 14:47:47

Yes but at least David was on the side of the angels.