Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voting rights for expats

(37 Posts)
Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 09:28:13

They've made a choice but maybe a lot of them in their heart of hearts think they might return to the UK when the going gets tough? I guess they often want for their future and for their offspring? Not that I think that is right either.
The problem is the desire to have a foot in both camps and to cherry pick. I would be more concerned about their coming back to access the NHS which is not unheard of.

Callistemon Fri 28-May-21 09:28:08

vampirequeen

That's disgraceful. Why should people who no longer live here have the right to help decide who governs us?

British citizens overseas deserve to have their voices heard in our Parliament no matter where they live

I agree, vampirequeen

My DD do not feel they have the right to vote in UK or Welsh elections that no longer affect them.

CafeAuLait Fri 28-May-21 09:27:48

I'm an ex-pat of my country of birth. I have the right to vote and I don't as I feel I've lost touch with life there. If I planned to return maybe I'd vote as I'd have more of a vested interest in the direction of the country, but I don't plan to return, so I focus on where I am living now and plan to remain.

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 09:21:50

Well yes, but no.
Yes they are British, but if they’ve chosen to take up residency abroad and pay their taxes to their new home country then no, I think they’ve made an active choice. Why try to influence what we, as residents, have to live with here?

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 08:56:40

I sort of get it, they are still British and affected to an extent by what goes on back here.
Yes, it will please a fair few expats but there's always the exchange rate to complain about instead, and that affects them far more and can't be changed.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 08:50:55

Where will they draw the line?

Several of my family members emigrated when they were young and haven't been back in decades. Many still have a right to UK passports. Would they get to vote?

It's a daft and transparently obvious idea.

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 08:46:18

Not for Brexit though. They’d have all voted ‘no’ wouldn’t they? Funny how it’s being changed now to coincide with any Indy2.

Lucca Fri 28-May-21 08:39:27

vampirequeen

That's disgraceful. Why should people who no longer live here have the right to help decide who governs us?

I guess this is the justification “ Ministers believe that expats should have a say because decisions made by MPs on areas such as foreign policy, defence, immigration, pensions, and trade deals affect them wherever they live in the world.”

Not saying I agree, mind.

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 08:36:16

Well my Scottish stepfather will be voting ‘no’ then in any Indy2 referendum.

Actually though, I’m not sure that I agree with these new proposals. Maybe (cynically) it’s because Brexit is done now?

Gwyneth Fri 28-May-21 08:36:06

If anyone has lived outside the UK for 15 years they should lose their right to vote on matters in the UK.

vampirequeen Fri 28-May-21 08:28:13

MawBe Fri 28-May-21 07:38:20

This should please a lot of people - not least Jura/Biba if she is still following GN.
From this mornings DT
British expats will get lifetime rights to vote in general elections, as the Government scraps a time limit on casting ballots from abroad

The Elections Bill will remove the “arbitrary” rule which requires those who have lived outside the UK for more than 15 years lose their right to vote in a general election. It will also include measures that will allow overseas voters to stay on the register for longer.

British citizens overseas deserve to have their voices heard in our Parliament no matter where they live
Ministers believe that expats should have a say because decisions made by MPs on areas such as foreign policy, defence, immigration, pensions, and trade deals affect them wherever they live in the world.

The new rights will benefit up to three million overseas voters. Ministers have also discussed similar rights for expats in referenda, a move that could have a dramatic effect on any future independence ballot for Scotland as it would boost a “no” vote .

There is no reference to such a move in the Bill – and it would have to be part of a separate piece of legislation instituting a referendum and would be fiercely opposed by the SNP