Gransnet forums

News & politics

But they don't get involved in politics, not at all....

(57 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 11:25:20

I'm sorry I'm hogging this thread but I'll answer.

If any former PM with very strong views on independence - pro or anti - is meeting with the future monarch in private, he is clearly doing so with a view to furthering his political views. If they had met Salmond I'd think that was a bit off too. If they'd met Tony Blair I'd wonder what that was about.

Sweeping statements about how Unionists can't do right for doing wrong are just cheapening the debate, IMO. Is there any way we can have any debate at all without recourse to each others personalities? The facts ma'am, just the facts.

Elegran Fri 28-May-21 11:17:05

Neither he nor any Unionist can do right for doing wrong, in your eyes, Alegrias.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 11:07:07

Brown isn't a political leader, he's an ex-politician with a very clear agenda on independence.

Have they met with Sarwar? Or Patrick Harvey? Or even Douglas Ross?

Clue: No

Elegran Fri 28-May-21 11:00:38

You make it sound as though they were conspiring with somebody of one particular political aspect, Alegrias but they have been scrupulous in being in contact with leaders of the three leading parties.

There were also meetings with other politicians, of various parties. As well as George Brown, "The duke had talks with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon at the weekend and also met Alistair Carmichael, Liberal Democrat MP for Orkney and Shetland, when the royal couple - known as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn when in Scotland - opened Orkney's hospital."

If William should take over from Charles at short notice (always on the cards with older parents!) he will need familiarity with all the political leaders he will encounter at the regular debriefings held with the monarch. The head of state may be above party allegiance, but needs to be aware of what the parties stand for. Would you prefer it if he were completely ignorant of the different views and policies? Or of the personalities involved?

Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 10:59:45

No, indeed he hasn't, and I think everybody knows that.

So why is the second in line to the throne having meetings with an ex-politician whose main ideas at the moment concern staying in the Union?

I wonder if William had a chat with Salmond as well?

Casdon Fri 28-May-21 10:56:06

Gordon Brown has never made any secret of his wish for Scotland to remain part of the UK, so I’m not surprised by this.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 10:46:41

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-57280315

Earl and Countess of Strathearn meet with Gordon Brown who has just launched a pro-Union initiative.