Gransnet forums

News & politics

Political implications of Johnson's Catholicisim

(308 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 31-May-21 10:24:32

Another non-story playing into the PM’s favour, the more he is attacked with fake allegations that are subsequently found to be untrue the more popular he will become with the wo/man in the street.

MerylStreep Mon 31-May-21 10:13:33

so it seems it is just not about the wedding, but other complications
And now, we know that there are no other complications thanks to 25Avalon.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 10:13:20

It's all a load of nonsense and totally outdated anyway.

MawBe Mon 31-May-21 10:05:07

That seems to deal with it! Well done!
Next?

25Avalon Mon 31-May-21 09:51:23

MaizieD confession I looked it up! I remembered doing The Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829 in history and was curious as to the position today. Bit surprised about Gordon Brown’s amendment I must admit. I don’t remember hearing much about it in 2008.

So GN educates - either what you look up or that others look up or know about already.

MaizieD Mon 31-May-21 09:29:04

Impressive, Avalon.

Is that your knowledge or google's? (genuine question. I'm always impressed by the depth of knowledge Gnetters have)

25Avalon Mon 31-May-21 09:24:35

The so called expert who obviously is not a Conservative or BJ admirer has seemingly not done his homework. In 2008 Gordon Brown, Labour PM, amended the constitutional link between the Church of England and the government executive. The Prime Minister and other ministers no longer advise the Crown. The Crown Nomination Commision submit the names of their preferred candidate and the second appointable candidate to the PM who is constitutionally responsible for passing that advise to the Queen.

Gordon Brown’s amendment has thus paved the way for a RC to be PM. Interestingly Tony Blair regularly attended mass as PM but was only received into the Catholic Church after he left office. Boris was baptised in the Catholic faith by his mother but when he was at Eton was confirmed as an Anglican. Then he met Carrie Symonds. Their son, Wilfred, was baptised in the Catholic faith. I’m sure Boris checked the position out carefully before getting married especially with 2 divorces behind him.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 08:52:41

So it seems it is not 'just about' the wedding, but other implications

''Apparently the catholic church states that if a catholic marries a non catholic in any marriage not conducted by the catholic church, the marriage is not recognised as valid. By accepting those terms in order to proceed with his marriage, Johnson is accepting that having been baptised a catholic, he not only still is a catholic, he has always been a catholic.
This has important constitutional implications which I am sure will not have entered his head. Firstly, he has just "come out" as the first catholic Prime Minister in the UK's history.
Secondly, there are certain functions which are the sole responsibility of the Prime Minister which Johnson, as a catholic, is actually barred by law from performing.
The one which come immediately to mind is that under an act passed in the early 19th century and still in force, no catholic is permitted to advise the Queen on the appointment of any office holder in the Church of England.
Any catholic doing so is immediately rendered ineligible to hold any office under the crown for the rest of their life. This is where it gets interesting. Since Johnson became PM, a new Archbishop of York and at least one other diocesan Bishop have been appointed.
The procedure for such appointments is that a committee of the Church of England select a nominee and forward the details to the Prime Minister for approval. This is not automatic. Margaret Thatcher turned down one nomination for a bishop when she was PM. Assuming the PM is agreeable however, they advise the Queen to make the appointment. It would appear therefore that Johnson, a catholic, has advised the Queen regarding at least two appointments in the Church of England contrary to English law, and is therefore barred from life from holding any office of state, and is consequently no longer Prime Minister. I await developments with interest.
I think we should all speak out in mass, not just the Pope. As he is well over due a comment on the UK's human rights issues alone. As now even Amnesty International have Johnson and his vile Conservative Government on their list.''

as explained by an expert responding to an article in The Telegraph.