Gransnet forums

News & politics

Electoral reform

(39 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 08-Jul-21 15:00:42

Katie59

You can shout all you like it’s not going to happen for Westminster elections. Both Tories and Labour are supporting the current system, a system of PR will damage both of them, Turkeys do not vote for Christmas!.

Quite so Katie. Whoever gets in power wants to stay there.

PippaZ Thu 08-Jul-21 14:53:51

This question is nothing to do with previous votes or politicians who have long left politics. It is simple. Can anyone say, hand on heart, that they think it is in any way democratic that you need:

866,000 votes to elect 1 Green MP
336,000 votes to elect 1 LibDem MP
51,000 votes to elect 1 Labour MP
38,000 votes to elect 1 Conservative MP

If you think that is democrasy then could you explain to me why?

Mamardoit Thu 08-Jul-21 10:01:06

Nick Clegg should have insisted upon a vote for PR in return backing Cameron and Osbourne. They became tories just to get a chance to be 'in government'. People won't forget that.

varian Thu 08-Jul-21 09:03:10

We have never had a referendum on PR. The 2011 referendum was on AV which is not PR

WishIwasyounger Thu 08-Jul-21 08:15:50

Wales uses a PR system, Scotland does, the EU does. There is nothing about FPTP that makes it anything near democratic. A progressive alliance is essential to achieve PR, but a doubt Labour will sign up.

Welshwife Thu 08-Jul-21 00:23:22

PR is a complex issue and needs to be discussed and talked about a lot on TV etc for people to get the hang of it and used to the idea. In one of the votes in Wales - the Senydd (Welsh Assembly) I think - PR is used for some of the seats.
I think there are two types of PR voting but I can’t for the life of me think what the differences are - any one know and can explain?

SpringyChicken Wed 07-Jul-21 23:41:56

We had a referendum in 2011 and PR was rejected, 67.9% against. The turn out was 41%.

varian Wed 07-Jul-21 17:23:44

Just how unequal our votes are.

This shows the number of votes (in hundreds of thousands)_ needed to elect one MP (or in the case of the Brexit party, no MP.

How could anyone describe this as a fair voting system?

varian Wed 07-Jul-21 17:19:35

About two thirds of LP supporters and just over half Tory voters support electoral reform.

The party which benefits most from FPTP is the Tory Party so I agree they are unlikely to support a move towards democracy in the UK.

It is high time that the Labour Party realised that, quite apart from supporting the principle of democracy, it is not in the interests of their party for us to continue with the anti-democratic First Past The Post.

Katie59 Wed 07-Jul-21 15:06:55

You can shout all you like it’s not going to happen for Westminster elections. Both Tories and Labour are supporting the current system, a system of PR will damage both of them, Turkeys do not vote for Christmas!.

yggdrasil Wed 07-Jul-21 14:45:52

www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/

varian Wed 07-Jul-21 14:26:27

Why first-past-the-post steals elections for right-wing parties – and how to stop it- given a fair chance at the ballot box, British voters would elect more progressive governments.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2021/04/why-first-past-post-steals-elections-right-wing-parties-and-how-stop-it?fbclid=IwAR0tEx3l26CSiAC0V-AwOS7OPT1RUjJJ8RgVGwWvtY8nak97RTdfpzsNF30

Kali2 Tue 06-Jul-21 22:44:37

YES!

varian Tue 06-Jul-21 19:27:35

Green party co-leader Jonathan Bartley steps down and urges electoral reform.

Bartley aims to give next leader time to prepare for election and will focus on building progressive alliance

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/05/green-party-co-leader-jonathan-bartley-steps-down-after-five-years