Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petrol queues reported now on BBC news

(717 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 24-Sep-21 12:29:47

DH has just been down to our local supermarket petrol station to fill up and he turned round and came straight home. Not only were motorists queueing to get into the petrol station, they were queueing to get into the supermarket! We called in yesterday to get a few things and it was quiet and well stocked and we could have got petrol then but decided to leave it. Silly us!

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 12:29:08

Of course you are right tanith there will be people who need it for journeys and those who just worry about not being able to get any...so yes, panic buying.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:28:46

Because people are panic buying tanith and we all know what happens when people start doing that don't weangry.

tanith Fri 24-Sep-21 12:26:16

So we don’t normally have queues at petrol stations if everyone is filling as normal why are there queues today?

growstuff Fri 24-Sep-21 12:25:10

Scones

It's easy to dismiss this as panic buying but if your livelihood depends on you being able to get from A to B, or you have dependents who rely on you being able to get to them or get them to medical appointments or if you live in a remote area, then fuel is essential to you filling up while you can is not a frivolous fancy but a pressing need.

Our distain should be directed at those who have caused or exacerbated the situation, not those who are reacting to it.

Exactly!

growstuff Fri 24-Sep-21 12:24:49

Severnsider

?At my local garage there was a queue of 12 cars - if this goes on all day they're going to run out of petrol.

Yesterday, when I eventually found a petrol station with any petrol, there was queue back to the road. It's an independent, which was the only petrol station for miles with any fuel. It's no wonder it was busy because people couldn't buy their petrol in their usual petrol stations. Yes, it possibly did run out of fuel by the end of the day. However, the people whose cars had empty tanks can't be blamed for the situation.

Scones Fri 24-Sep-21 12:24:05

It's easy to dismiss this as panic buying but if your livelihood depends on you being able to get from A to B, or you have dependents who rely on you being able to get to them or get them to medical appointments or if you live in a remote area, then fuel is essential to you filling up while you can is not a frivolous fancy but a pressing need.

Our distain should be directed at those who have caused or exacerbated the situation, not those who are reacting to it.

EkwaNimitee Fri 24-Sep-21 12:23:58

The news caught me with a low tank so I have just come back from filling it. Not being on a good bus route, I need the car for going everywhere. There were short queues at 3 filling stations. The woman at the Sainsbury forecourt said they were nonstop busy.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 12:19:55

We’ve had petrol shortages many times in the years since I became a driver, I remember queuing with all the stop/start actions
As we crawled along and having to adjust the clutch so as not to stall.....kangaroo juice!?

growstuff Fri 24-Sep-21 12:19:53

tanith

All the garages near me have queuing ? what is wrong with people ?

Nothing wrong with them. They need fuel for their cars.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:18:35

tanith

Nothing wrong with people.

When you have a liar for PM who comes into television and announces no need to panic - what is your immediate reaction?

tanith Fri 24-Sep-21 12:17:11

Severnsider Fri 24-Sep-21 12:16:11

?At my local garage there was a queue of 12 cars - if this goes on all day they're going to run out of petrol.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:15:51

What a mess it all is.

A near competent government might help.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 12:15:36

Since we need fuel for a planned trip away, DH went to fill up at our nearest garage an hour ago, said it was all normal and no queue.That doesn’t mean that there aren’t any at other garages and other areas, and panic buying will no doubt lead to longer queues....was ever thus.

MaizieD Fri 24-Sep-21 12:13:23

Inevitable, wasn't it?

ayse Fri 24-Sep-21 12:10:21

Just watching the news showing people queuing for petrol. Apparently ‘the supply chain is under intense pressure”. BP is prioritising motorways and major routes. Deliveries are unpredictable and the army may be involved.

More talk about changing visa regs temporarily.