Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour party conference, is no-one else interested?

(504 Posts)
Scones Wed 29-Sep-21 09:24:54

I really want to be interested but am so fed up with the infighting that I just can't bear to listen to it any more.

For some time I have wished that the left wing would splinter off as I see no future for Labour until this is settled.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Sep-21 09:23:11

I am interested and desperate that they show integrity but also spunk and unity. I want Keir Starmer to succeed and he needs to carry theParty with him. However, in order to do this when an open goal is provided like the lack of lorry drivers then a score has to be made. It must be stated loud and clear that the Johnson Brexit deal was made in haste and ill thought out whilst in the pursuit of power. They must also sound professional and vocal criticisms of the government must be made passionately but avoiding blatant rudeness. It is possible to convey the same in precise and accurate language without appearing lacking in verbal skills. Keir Starmer is great at this but he should raise the tone to that of passion.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 09:10:47

No idea where it's heading.
Sadly.

foxie48 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:55:10

tbh I expected a few posts about what's been happening other than the ones about Angela Rayner's language but none have appeared. So what do you think of the show so far? Andy McDonald's resignation, does this signal open warfare from the left? Internal party reforms despite Momentum's objection, does this signal the end of the left's influence? Starmer's declaration that winning the next election is more important than focusing on party unity. Is this a sign that the Labour party is moving on from the Corbyn era and Brexit? Some suggestion that the left wing might start a new party? So where do you think the party is heading?