Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now is the winter of Britain’s discontent

(260 Posts)
trisher Sat 02-Oct-21 16:49:27

If we carry that quote on is Johnson the "sun of York"?
"Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York"
Bet he'd love to be. Maybe it's all a devious plan to show he can sort things (but I think it's more likely a massive cock up)

ayse Sat 02-Oct-21 16:40:01

The NZ press are certainly reporting all these difficulties so my daughter told me on Saturday morning.

Josianne Sat 02-Oct-21 16:36:54

And no Christmas Ocado slots left here, boooo. Disaster! sad.

Farmor15 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:30:12

Here's one from France - means 'the tomorrows that are disillusioning' - I think.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:27:39

Another view by a foreign outlet

London (CNN Business)Worker shortages have left UK service stations empty, created gaps on supermarket shelves and are forcing farms to cull pigs. Even the finance industry is starting to suffer. The situation could get much worse this winter if the British government doesn't relax its Brexit immigration rules, business leaders say.

winterwhite Sat 02-Oct-21 16:20:30

Shaming isn't it? But at least he didn't mention the thousands of pigs apparently liable to be 'culled' next week for lack of abattoir workers...
British journalists have done their fair share of running down the US and this country is now a sitting duck. Too much power corrupts and it has done so here as much as anywhere else.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Oct-21 16:20:18

But it is a British journalist. From the Guardian.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:15:01

Aveline

Every winter is a winter of discontent to our media. Only bad news sells or increases viewer numbers.

That isn’t our media ?

That is my point!

Aveline Sat 02-Oct-21 16:14:00

Every winter is a winter of discontent to our media. Only bad news sells or increases viewer numbers.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:57:09

Day after day there are articles like this in the worlds press.