Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wales you are having Covid Passports. Is this a 'Fix?'

(55 Posts)
love0c Wed 06-Oct-21 16:42:11

I do not live in Wales but I am certainly not happy with how this has got through.

Callistemon Fri 08-Oct-21 15:00:15

lemongrove

Callistemon

I haven't been to a nightclub for a few years, Bibbity and think I caused chaos when I last went to one.

Oh no, that was the time before last blush

Get away with you Callistemon I saw you only last week, in the queue at ‘Tramps’ in Abervagenny wasn’t it?! Wearing your trademark leather mini skirt and with wild pink hair.?

Shh, don't tell everyone.
Nor about that time in Ritzy's in Newport (it closed down afterwards).

lemongrove Fri 08-Oct-21 14:13:00

France and Scotland have to put up with it, now Wales has to.
There have been dark mutterings in all countries where the vaccine passport is demanded though.

lemongrove Fri 08-Oct-21 14:10:13

Callistemon

I haven't been to a nightclub for a few years, Bibbity and think I caused chaos when I last went to one.

Get away with you Callistemon I saw you only last week, in the queue at ‘Tramps’ in Abervagenny wasn’t it?! Wearing your trademark leather mini skirt and with wild pink hair.?

Alegrias1 Fri 08-Oct-21 13:45:57

The passport in Scotland is only required for large gatherings, such as sports matches, concerts and nightclubs. Not required for restaurants and so on. If it does move that way I'm not sure what I think about it. I'm not even convinced we need it for large gatherings.

Lincslass Fri 08-Oct-21 13:43:42

love0c

fairfraise that is my point too. Really not happy about it. I think the same thing could well happen here too in England. Politicians think it is their 'right' to manipulate to get their choice of result.

It has been discounted in England, they were persuaded by the very vocal minority, as in most things. Johnson is supposed to lead, not bow down to minority pressure. I personally would prefer a passport to enter restaurants etc. Compulsory in Scotland and many other countries, Germany, Netherlands etc.

Callistemon Thu 07-Oct-21 10:26:10

Casdon

If you read the story according to BBC News he was at the Tory conference, they knew Zoom could be an issue, so the presiding officer gave him her personal mobile number in advance. He didn’t ring at the designated time though, so she made the decision to go ahead on the basis of who was there. Surely that is how voting works?

As long as there is a quorum which there obviously was.

Perhaps he was more concerned about making a name for himself at the Conference than doing the job for which he was elected.
Or perhaps I am doing him a disservice and he did have difficulties.

Galaxy Thu 07-Oct-21 10:21:18

I need you and casdon on speed dial Alegrias!
The trouble is when you start to try and have these conversations about bodily autonomy and about dividing society in this way you risk being lumped in with covid deniers etc. I understand clearly that it is safer to have the vaccine than risk covid, I was vaccinated very early due to my job. But I also understand that peoples relationship with their health is very complex. I also think if I am honest that it's not about transmission its about some sort of morality, and that scares me.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 09:19:17

Sorry to diverge from the thread, but Peter Fox is the name of one of the key characters in Ridley Road. I got confused there about what thread I was on!

Anyway, back to the passports!

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 22:48:12

Casdon

Nor mine thank goodness Callistemon. The pragmatic response from Peter Fox was exactly what I would have expected from him though, the democratic process has to be followed.

?

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 21:31:16

Galaxy

But my understanding is the impact on transmission rate is not yet proved? Alegrias where are you, I am having the same discussion as the last timegrin.

Aw, thank you Galaxy!

I'm deferring to Casdon on this one!

Casdon Wed 06-Oct-21 21:01:06

Nor mine thank goodness Callistemon. The pragmatic response from Peter Fox was exactly what I would have expected from him though, the democratic process has to be followed.

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:51:33

Thanks Casdon
He's not my Senedd member thank goodness.

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:46:04

fairfraise

Callistemon I don't go to FB political sites. Did once or twice and you get all sorts of weirdo answers back, so I don't bother now.

A salutary warning!

fairfraise Wed 06-Oct-21 20:44:04

Callistemon I don't go to FB political sites. Did once or twice and you get all sorts of weirdo answers back, so I don't bother now.

Casdon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:18:01

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58816952
Here’s the article

Casdon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:17:14

If you read the story according to BBC News he was at the Tory conference, they knew Zoom could be an issue, so the presiding officer gave him her personal mobile number in advance. He didn’t ring at the designated time though, so she made the decision to go ahead on the basis of who was there. Surely that is how voting works?

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:12:56

I don't think it is the wrong thing to do, but if one AM couldn't access the Zoom meeting although he/she wanted to, is it legally binding?

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 20:11:40

Have you tried asking him on Facebook why he can't be bothered to reply, fairfraise?

fairfraise Wed 06-Oct-21 19:53:20

Have you ever tried to contact Mark Drakeford. I have several times and just never had a reply.

grannyrebel7 Wed 06-Oct-21 19:47:50

I live in Wales and am all for the vaccine passport. It makes perfect sense to me. Mark Drakeford is a superb politician. It's a pity we don't have more like him.

sart Wed 06-Oct-21 19:29:55

My friend and I went to a music event in Aberystwyth about a month ago, we both live about 45 minutes drive away. Had to show our covid jab certifcate at the door. Those who didn't have one had to do a covid test on site. We queued about 30 minutes to get into the building hosting the event.

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Oct-21 19:24:05

Callistemon ?? I utterly disgraced myself last time I went, I think I’d shut the experience away, you just reminded me…oops!

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 19:20:59

Bibbity Wed 06-Oct-21 19:19:01

I honestly don't know yet. He hasn't had any updates we're awaiting on what the parameters will be.

Bibbity Wed 06-Oct-21 19:18:04

Casdon

Bibbity it was recommended by the Chief Medical Officer, endorsed by Public Health Wales, who do have the relevant degrees. The Welsh Government does listen to the experts who have the relevant degrees, and act on their recommendations.

Casdon I think you've missed the context of my post.