Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the Royal Family losing their touch?

(847 Posts)
volver Sun 03-Apr-22 16:22:31

A couple of weeks ago we had the disastrous PR associated with the Caribbean tour, and now the judgement of the Queen is being questioned, for giving Prince Andrew such a prominent role in the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service.

The position of the Royal Family depends very strongly on their acceptance by, and the support of, the public both here and overseas; are they losing that?

nanna8 Wed 13-Jul-22 08:49:49

I think the whole lot of them are entitled, greedy people. They are not alone in that ,of course, they share the honour with many rich and titled people. They are a world apart and they don’t even get it.

nadateturbe Tue 12-Jul-22 22:41:52

I can only assume that everyone agrees with my post Sun 10-Jul-22, 10.37.

Grany Mon 11-Jul-22 11:19:22

There are a few republican on here so not all are monarchists that's good smile

nadateturbe Mon 11-Jul-22 11:04:49

I know you did Grany, thanks, but I am surprised that no one else commented.
I wonder why. ?

Grany Mon 11-Jul-22 10:45:06

I commented I said the changed in legislation that Charles insisted upon gave him advantages and disadvantages to his tennents.

So much greed. Queen and Charles gets over £40 million between them for the two duchies.

People in Cornwall say Charles is all take and gives nothing back

A letter written to Charles regarding Duchy ownership.

d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/republic/pages/434/attachments/original/1642445870/Letter_to_Charles_regarding_Duchy_ownership.pdf?1642445870

nadateturbe Mon 11-Jul-22 10:00:38

DaisyAnne I don't think I have anything to apologise for. But if I have please tell me.

I am a bit disappointed that no one has commented on my posts about the Duchy of Lancaster and Prince Charles which are more related to the thread title than pensions.

maddyone Mon 11-Jul-22 09:28:14

Would this subject be worth a new thread do you think?

maddyone Mon 11-Jul-22 09:26:27

Thank you Daisy and Pantglass.
As I said, I’m unfortunate in that I missed the deadline by only 19 days. At least I have my professional pension although it’s not huge. I do believe that the way the pension was changed was very unfair, leaving millions of people on a less generous pension. I think the pension should have been changed for all.

DaisyAnne Mon 11-Jul-22 08:45:28

Mmm.

Pantglas2 Mon 11-Jul-22 07:51:39

Apologies to maddyone for not realising your post was referring to pre 2016 retirees - I do realise how fortunate I am to have retired last year on the new rate ?

DaisyAnne Mon 11-Jul-22 07:45:59

Or not. So many people have derailed other threads by bringing in irrelevant posts about "the royals" and I find I would rather talk about pensions and benefits.

Surely, what is good for the goose should be good for the gander smile

I wasn't expecting the government to apologise, by the way. Just Pantglas for her wrongfully based put down. I doubt it will happen but I do think we should admit when we get things wrong.

maddyone Mon 11-Jul-22 00:10:25

Thanks Daisy but I’m not worried about an apology as I can understand why the mistake was made. I’m one of those people for whom the cut off date was unfortunate as I missed getting the new pension by exactly 19 days. But there it is, that’s life and all that.
Anyway, back to the royals.

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Jul-22 23:16:15

It may not be nadaturbe but I think Maddy deserves an apology.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 22:29:38

State Pension!

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 22:23:11

I'd forgotten about the new State Pe. I remember being very annoyed about the unfairness at the time. My own pension at present is less than £7000.

However it has nothing to do with my posts regarding income from Duchy of Lancaster and Charles influence on laws.

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Jul-22 21:14:04

Just to say that although I think posters should ensure their posts are accurate, particularly when talking about benefits such as pensions, I don't think this has anything to do with the Queen.

No relevance whatsoever as far as I can see. The Queen having all her wealth taken away will not make the pensioner get any more money. That is in the gift of the government. If you want a living pension, then vote in a government that will attempt to get you there. If you want more progressive taxation for all wealthy people, including the Queen, then vote in a government that will ensure that happens.

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Jul-22 20:43:36

Pantglas2

Agreed nadateturbe - my point was about the inaccuracy of the figures presented which will weaken argument for some.

Pantglas the figures were not inaccurate and it is important to get them right.

You have missed an important fact. During the period quoted, the New State Pension came in. Presumably, this is what you get, so are familiar with it. However, the vast majority will still be getting the Old State Pension.

Maddy is comparing like with like -the old pension with the old pension. So, Maddy's figures are correct for those on the Old State Pension who did not and do not get Pension Credit. They would have received £5587.40 in 2012 and £7376.20 in 2022-23. This was accurately reported.

However if the only income is the Old Basic State Pension, the person would receive Pension Credit - but the majority do not. A large percentage who are eligible do not claim.

The New State Pension included (when it started) an amount just over the Pension Credit for all claiming it. Not as a means-tested benefit as it is for those on the Old State Pension.

The New State Pension did not start until 2016 but a comparable figure would be 2012's Basic Pension figure plus Pension Credit which was £7407.40 compared with today's New State Pension of £9627.80.

This is going to grow to be greater year on year than the Old State Pension plus Pension Credit. It will be greater by far than the Old State Pension. A quarter of a million over 70s get no state pension at all.

Grany Sun 10-Jul-22 20:42:25

nadateturbe

From a Guardian article.

Newly discovered documents show government yielded to heir’s demands amid fears of a constitutional crisis

Prince Charles exploited a controversial procedure to compel government ministers to secretly change a proposed law to benefit his landed estate, according to documents uncovered by the Guardian.

Official papers unearthed in the National Archives reveal ministers in John Major’s governmentyielded to his demands amid fears that resisting the heir to the throne could spark a constitutional crisis.

So it advantaged Charles disadvantaged his tennents. People in Cornwall say he is all take and gives nothing back.

Its

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 20:07:42

Of course Pantglas, important to get facts right.

Pantglas2 Sun 10-Jul-22 19:28:24

Agreed nadateturbe - my point was about the inaccuracy of the figures presented which will weaken argument for some.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 19:25:23

They still couldn't afford to shop for groceries at Fortnum and Masons Pantglas.

Pantglas2 Sun 10-Jul-22 19:02:04

maddyone

The basic pension for a single person was £5,587.40 in April 2012. It is £7,376.20 in April of 2022. Just saying.

I think you’ll find Maddy that the basic single state pension in April 2022 (assuming 35 years contributions non contracted out etc) is £9650 which makes it around a 70% increase on your 2012 figure (which I haven’t checked by the way)

Anyone without full contributions could be entitled to Pension Credit which brings their lesser entitlement to around £9500 pa.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 18:52:07

For anyone interested this is the article.
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/28/prince-charles-pressured-ministers-change-law-queen-consent.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jul-22 18:49:53

From a Guardian article.

Newly discovered documents show government yielded to heir’s demands amid fears of a constitutional crisis

Prince Charles exploited a controversial procedure to compel government ministers to secretly change a proposed law to benefit his landed estate, according to documents uncovered by the Guardian.

Official papers unearthed in the National Archives reveal ministers in John Major’s governmentyielded to his demands amid fears that resisting the heir to the throne could spark a constitutional crisis.

Grany Sun 10-Jul-22 18:13:08

nadateturbe

Thanks Grany. I'll read those soon. Been watching tennis.
I don't see how anyone cannot be disturbed by the details of how the monarchy acquired so much.

And 16 million people living below the poverty line by 2023