Gransnet forums

News & politics

An interesting experiment

(30 Posts)
CatsCatsCats Sat 06-Aug-22 14:57:45

I think it's more likely that he'll get fed up with a point of view so different to his own, and go hurriedly back to The Telegraph or Daily Mail.

Do let us know what happens.

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Aug-22 14:51:30

Well I am not so sure about the Guardian being that left wing, to me, they are more what I would call liberal.
Some of the commentators are left wing, I agree, Owen Jones, say, but some are right wing, Simon Jenkins for instance.
But yes, a very interesting experiment.

Smileless2012 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:49:27

Your dad sounds great Loobs. Wow almost 98, somehow I don't think he'll changing his mindsmile.

Fleurpepper Sat 06-Aug-22 14:48:17

Oh my- you can only hope. Yes, do up-date us!

Loobs Sat 06-Aug-22 14:43:51

My wonderful father, who will be 98 yrs young at the end of the year and still lives independently with a brain as sharp as a tack, was telling me that he has decided to stop reading the Telegraph (after nearly 70 years) as it is too expensive. I think it's actually because my stepmother pinches it before he gets to read it and makes a mess of it so he doesn't enjoy reading it like he did! He is now going to read The Guardian online. He currently thinks that Boris should be allowed to 'finish Brexit' - my father voted leave (aaargh) - and that he actually hasn't done a bad job. In our weekly chat I sometimes mention stuff like the wallpaper BJ got at something like £800 a roll, or the fact that he has a somewhat skewed moral compass and my dad always says that he wasn't aware of any of these things. So - after reading the Guardian for a couple of months will he change his mind and think that maybe the Conservatives have had their day (at least for now) ? It will be interesting to see because newspapers like the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph are so biased to the right, the Guardian totally the opposite and I often wonder how much influence they have on our thinking. I will let you know how he gets on.