Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump

(47 Posts)
Casdon Sat 13-Aug-22 17:45:55

Norah

Casdon

Norah

Casdon Surely prison is the ultimate outcome assuming they have found that he’s stolen state secret papers? I wonder if that would change the view of republicans about him?

No, Republicans have no critical thinking ability.

I don’t believe that. It’s not just rednecks who are republicans.

I don't believe it's an acknowledged fact that only rednecks lack critical thinking ability. Look to Kevin McCarthy, Mitch McConnell, John Bozeman, Tom Cotton.

But half the population of the US is republican, you can’t tar them all with the ‘stupid’ brush.

Norah Sat 13-Aug-22 17:24:03

Casdon

Norah

Casdon Surely prison is the ultimate outcome assuming they have found that he’s stolen state secret papers? I wonder if that would change the view of republicans about him?

I don't believe it's an acknowledged fact that only rednecks lack critical thinking ability. Look to Kevin McCarthy, Mitch McConnell, John Bozeman, Tom Cotton.

Casdon Sat 13-Aug-22 16:40:35

Norah

Norah Sat 13-Aug-22 16:37:08

imaround do polls show Trump, if running again, a chance to win?

imaround Sat 13-Aug-22 16:34:01

This is correct.

Trump is not running for office, yet.

I can only hope that SOMETHING sticks. Treason? Espionage? Tax fraud?

I will take anything that stops him from running again.

Norah Sat 13-Aug-22 16:28:56

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 16:21:35

Teacheranne

He is claiming that he declassified the documents while he was still President so there was no problem with him having the documents at his house.

Absolutely No one can de-classify the top classification known as
Top secret/ SCI.

So he is lying.

There is also doubt about lesser security documents as in order to de-classify Trump would have had to go through a procedure which it is doubted that he did

Teacheranne Sat 13-Aug-22 16:17:52

He is claiming that he declassified the documents while he was still President so there was no problem with him having the documents at his house.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 16:13:55

Lucca

Someone told me today there is a rule about not investigating someone who is running for office ? And he is ? But they did go after Hilary did they not ?

Someone more knowledgeable than me please ?

No it only applies to a sitting President.

He can’t get off the hook that way.

Lucca Sat 13-Aug-22 16:10:13

Someone told me today there is a rule about not investigating someone who is running for office ? And he is ? But they did go after Hilary did they not ?

Someone more knowledgeable than me please ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 15:19:50

Of course they all had/have connection to Russia, including Johnson.

MayBee70 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:23:09

Another vote leave instigator/supporter under investigation then. What a surprise!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:11:39

RichmondPark1

I don't think anything will change Trump supporters' entrenched view that he is a the subject of a witch hunt. Here's Nigel Farage stoking the fire via his Twitter account yesterday -

"The idea that Donald Trump would keep top secret documents from the Oval Office at Mar-a-Lago is laughable. This is a set-up and people won't believe it."

Just read that the FBI are looking at Farage - good oh.

RichmondPark1 Sat 13-Aug-22 12:12:02

I don't think anything will change Trump supporters' entrenched view that he is a the subject of a witch hunt. Here's Nigel Farage stoking the fire via his Twitter account yesterday -

"The idea that Donald Trump would keep top secret documents from the Oval Office at Mar-a-Lago is laughable. This is a set-up and people won't believe it."

Grantanow Sat 13-Aug-22 11:37:40

Let's hope the Justice Department can prosecute him successfully. As for his extremist supporters I think the US educational system needs an overhaul to promote critical thinking abilities.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 09:53:49

Read somewhere yesterday, that Trump’s supporters are calling for a civil war.

Hope it is just a silly rumour.

Casdon Sat 13-Aug-22 09:41:25

Surely prison is the ultimate outcome assuming they have found that he’s stolen state secret papers? I wonder if that would change the view of republicans about him?

FannyCornforth Sat 13-Aug-22 09:27:14

There are significant rumours that the FBI were tipped off by Melania, or by Jared Kuschner

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:37:28

So what else?

1. Insurrection and being investigated - Capital Riots.

2. Wire fraud - he asked for money to be sent to him in order to fight the “fraudulent election”. The money was never used as intended and syphoned off elsewhere.

3. Georgia election tampering. Violated at least 3 criminal election laws. Remember “find me some votes”?

4. There is a civil and separate criminal enquiry over whether Trump inflated the value of his assets in order to obtain large loans.

5. Being sued for defamation by someone who claimed Trump raped her, and he has subsequently gone on to trash her character.

Good egg all around?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:02:09

Well more difficult this time, and the security services are showing their muscle.

So 3 investigations under the law.

1. Violations under the Espionage Act.
2.Criminal obstruction
3. Criminal handling of government documents.

That’s without all the other investigations.

tanith Sat 13-Aug-22 07:38:20

He will probably wriggle out of it or someone else will be his ‘fall guy’.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 07:16:03

Well knock me down with a feather!

After Trump’s failed attempt at insurrection on Jan 6th, the FBI have now finally been forced to raid Trump’s home to take possession of documents, which include those of the highest classification possible in the USA relating to nuclear arms and programmes. The FBI and Attorney General are suggesting that these documents could be used to benefit enemies of the USA

Trump had consistently refused to cooperate by returning these documents despite being subpoenaed to do so.

So it seems that instinct that told us Trump is a wrong ‘un is right.

He is dodgy in so many ways.

Yet another example of a leader thinking that he is above the law.