Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit4

(1000 Posts)
granjura Fri 14-Oct-16 15:30:21

As I made a mistake and posted in 'Brexit, power to the people' - here is Brexit4.

I know some of you don't like 'experts' or their opinions, but I do urge all to listen to this man again, from Liverpool University, calmly and expertly explaining what the single market is, and how it does work

www.facebook.com/UniversityofLiverpool/videos/1397204436973623/

whitewave Fri 14-Oct-16 16:17:13

I remember the last video we watched before the vote about the legal difficulties -that was excellent and so is this.

Business must be so worried. The trouble is that as the video suggested there may well a smoke and mirrors narrative that seeks to place blame on the EU if it all goes pear shaped.

I can't see how WTO base line can possibly be an option.

granjura Fri 14-Oct-16 19:34:39

He is not easy to watch in some way, as he is so calm and sticks strictly with facts - but it is really worthwhile to persevere.

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 09:22:01

There is a report that Hammond is threatening to walk. He along with other cabinet members are getting alarmed at being shut out of Brexit discussions.

petra Sun 16-Oct-16 12:18:02

I didn't think that I would ever feel sorry for a remainer. But this morning I did while watching Andrew Niel interviewing Pat McFaddon ( he was in the Brown government)
Niel absolutely tore him apart on all the predictions we were told were going to happen. You could see the relief on his face when it ended.
What I found odd was, Andrew Niel wasn't sticking to the BBC script Re Brexit.

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 13:01:49

Some thoughts on Brexit and after today's reading.

Those that are alarmed at being shut out of the discussions (like members of the cabinet representing the belief that hard Brexit would be devastating for the UK) that will go towards deciding the UKs future are beginning to get their act together at last.

They refuse to allow the hard reactionary right - people like Farage (whose shadow continues to dominate a certain type of politician), Fox and Davies, shut down the debate by using such words as remoaners and no running commentary, because they understand that a high degree of democratic oversight is both necessary and proper.
To try to stop this from happening is borne of a mixture of churlishness, arrogance and fear.
Nearly 50% of a poll conducted by Ashcroft showed a desire to support the principle "that decisions about the UK should be taken in the U.K." What could be more important than A50 decision -a fundamental expression of the sovereign will.

May should never forget that she is an unelected prime minister, and much of what has been recently put forward as ideas , like curbing foreign students, and lists of foreign workers have not been mandated. Neither has leaving entirely the single market.

The new government will simply have to get used to having their ideas challenged just as all governments do, to simply call people names without addressing the unmandated issues has nothing to do with democracy. There is a high level of anxiety in the country about what is going to happen and the level of incompetence we seem to be witnessing. There is also no doubt that the country is as divided as it has ever been.

May promised to unite the country, but her lurch towards the reactionary right and the hard Brexit camp is dismaying.

The moderating voices across the entire political spectrum are at last beginning to be heard. They are the true voices that represent the patriotic, traditional centre politics , and common sense that we recognise as Britain.

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 13:16:04

Absolutely remarkable

www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/10154363931116558/

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 14:16:36

I know, I know- experts hey, who wants to listen to THEM ;)

www.facebook.com/OpenBritain/videos/1176877825685873/

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 14:19:14

Even Johnson understood how absolutely vital to the UK is the single market.

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 14:43:18

The pound continues to fall - a direct consequence of Brexit. Traders are looking at Britain and see a less politically stable, unpredictable place to do business, and therefore a higher risk. No wonder they do t want sterling.

They are primarily worried about the possibility of hard Brexit, and are becoming spooked by the hard right reactionary narrative coming from an unelected prime minister and some members of her cabinet for which there is no mandate.

Worryingly we have been told by Mr Tusk that there will be only hard Brexit or no Brexit.

One group of people who will be delighted by the falling pound are foreign buyers who are intent on purchasing property in the U.K. The sale is now on.

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 14:46:04

That dreadful hypocrite and opportunistic lying toad:

www.facebook.com/DarrenBurn/videos/10100867967014546/

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 14:46:32

Although Johnson hasn't a clue whether we will be in the single market or not. He only seems to be aware that we drink copious quantities of champagne and prosecco. Well good for him. Many of those just getting buy would love to be able to take a sip of the copious quantities.

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 14:50:48

How does that clip prove him to be a dreadful hypocrite and lying toad? confused

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 15:03:50

Look at the date- and then you know what he campaigned for next sad I would have thought it was quite self explanatory.

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 15:10:17

I did look at the date. Although it doesn't state the year.

Boris had been campaigning for some time for the Leave vote and in fact the vote was only a week away at the time of this video. What's your problem?

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 15:11:56

As ww says, Johnson hasn't a clue whether we will be in the single market or not..

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 15:12:47

grin that's now not then.

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 15:33:54

Explained below in comments:

Filmed at the Big Lunch launch at City Hall in 2013.

I am sorry, but it is absolutely clear that the UK cannot be out of the EU AND part of the single market. Clear as a bell indeed. The EU might decide to give the UK some sort of access, at possible great cost, at some point of their chosing- and providing the UK agrees to Free Movement of People. Anything else is just pie in the sky.

whitewave Sun 16-Oct-16 15:36:07

I can't really understand why May has stated March as the date for invoking A50 It seems a bit daft as very little will happen until after the various EU elections. She could have waited longer and given the government a greater chance to come up with a plan -any plan - they agree on let alone parliament.

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 15:38:22

I didn't get the 'comments' when I looked at the link.

So Boris has changed his mind since 2013...big deal!

durhamjen Sun 16-Oct-16 16:24:42

Good links, granjura.

Here's another one.

theconversation.com/shout-loud-remainers-democracy-means-giving-the-majority-a-hard-time-67020

I agree with it. We're a democracy. The remainers are allowed to question the Brexiteers, particularly those who have no real
idea what they voted for, which is probably the majority.

rosesarered Sun 16-Oct-16 16:32:23

Granjura as to your comments on what sort of Brexit we are heading for, don't forget to add IMHO , because It's highly doubtful we will we doing anything of the sort.There is unlikely to be any free movement of people.

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 16:40:08

For some reason granjura seems to 'know' everything that's going to happen, is familiar with the intricate workings of the EU and can even read the minds of those at the top.

Truly awesome!

granjura Sun 16-Oct-16 16:48:23

LOL, no I do not KNOW - but I have read and listened to the best experts in the field- who do not the intricate workings of the EU, instead of the Daily Mail and the Sun.

Did you bother to watch any of the videos posted with experts explaining how it works, like Professor Dougan from Liverpool University, or the recent one above at 4.16.46?

Or do you refuse to listen and just say 'lalalala the Daily Mail knows best' so there?

rosesarered Sun 16-Oct-16 16:50:55

Are these the same experts who promised Armageddon if we voted to leave? hmm

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion