Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blair meddling again

(127 Posts)
jollyg Fri 28-Oct-16 12:23:51

I rarely venture into this thread, but Blair putting his oar into what was a democratic vote for brexit exasperates me.

He made his millions,caused the deaths of many in the Middle East, why does he not just go away, and annoy his wife,cherie, or push the pram of his new grandchild.

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 12:47:04

Because he is a UK citizen and a voter in the UK therefore has the same rights as we do to voice his opinions

Tegan Fri 28-Oct-16 13:28:47

We forget that Blair did a lot of good when he was PM; alas the bad has overshadowed it. But he still talks more sense than the muppets we have in power at the moment.

magpie123 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:29:34

jollyg I totally agree with you, I despise the man. Must be money involved somewhere along the line, thats all he is interested in. Nevermind the democratic vote of the people.
Obviously on here all the Remainers (Remoaners) will agree with him.

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 13:36:43

So he has no right to voice his opinion?

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 13:37:57

Well said Tegan

GillT57 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:40:58

Yes Anniebach he is just as entitled as anyone else who cast their vote in the referendum. I really don't think it is unreasonable for any of us, whether we voted to remain or to leave, to know what the details of the exit are going to be, even those who voted out should surely wish to know how it is going to be done? Magpie123 I voted to remain and deeply resent the use of the word remoaners. Nasty term and totally unnecessary.

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 13:47:16

He wants another Referendum, in the hope that we'll 'get it right' next time.

Tegan Fri 28-Oct-16 13:47:42

Difficult one, isn't it when, on the other hand, we have Johnson, Gove [who seems to be creeping/slithering his way back into prominence] and the wonderful [and totally honest grin] Liam Fox to advise us confused....?

tanith Fri 28-Oct-16 13:48:14

I don't like some of what Tony Blair did as PM but he is entitled to voice his opinion as it is mine. A lot of people I know now wonder what they voted for and may well change their minds when they find out.
I agree with Gill57 there is no need for nastiness to anyone who voices their opinion.

Luckygirl Fri 28-Oct-16 13:48:28

He has a right to express his view however odious he is.

But it is tedious that those who voted to remain are very quick to say the vote is not valid because of the low margin - I am sure they would not have said this had remain been the vote by a low margin. Either we accept the method of voting or we don't - I don't like it and think referenda are not only wrong in principle, but that some minimum margin should be in place. However, the vote was and is valid by the rules that were set.

merlotgran Fri 28-Oct-16 13:48:38

He thinks voters should be given the chance to change their minds. In other words, bow to pressure from the remoaners remainers.

Tegan Fri 28-Oct-16 13:51:47

Isn't he saying that the referendum was voted for by parliament but parliament is not allowed to vote for the sort of brexit we're going to have? Democracy seems to be something that can be altered according to the whims of our illustrious leaders. And, before anyone points it out Blair did the same with Iraq...but that doesn't make it right for others to do the same does it??

Luckygirl Fri 28-Oct-16 13:53:16

It could be said of any referendum or election that people should be given the chance to change their minds! Pressure from any group to re-vote cannot be. It will be interesting to see what happens in the US!

POGS Fri 28-Oct-16 14:02:17

"It could be said of any referendum or election that people should be given the chance to change their minds!"

Yes and we did have the chance to change our mind over this one:-

June 1975: UK – Membership of the European Community referendum on whether the UK should stay in the European Community (yes)

The problem is those who voted 'No' in 1975 accepted the referendum vote and never tried to beat those who voted 'yes' over the head to run another referendum and another and another until they minority get their way did they?

sunseeker Fri 28-Oct-16 14:33:45

I have never been a fan of Blair but agree he is entitled to express his opinion. I think many people now think of him as someone who will do anything as long as the payday is good for him and will therefore assume he has some ulterior motive (remember when he wanted to be President of the EU).

trisher Fri 28-Oct-16 14:36:05

Perhaps if the voting in this referendum had been as definite as in 1975 people wouldn't be feeling so bad.

Yes 17,378,581 67.23%
No 8,470,073 32.77%
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79%
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.21%
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00%
Registered voters/turnout 40,456,877 64.03%

So almost twice as many 'yes' votes. If only the leavers had such a clear mandate, but of course they don't, which is probably why they keep denigrating and ridiculing those who voted to remain.

Welshwife Fri 28-Oct-16 14:38:23

Those who were Eurosceptics then never shut up trying to undermine the EU and drip feed lies about it - Boris being one of the worst offenders but unfortunately many of the lies he wrote as 'jokes' were believed even though he lost his job over it.
Our lives improved with the EU and we always had the right of veto - and used it to stop things we didn't like going through.

Alima Fri 28-Oct-16 14:41:09

Oh I do hope this doesn't mean that the odious creep is going to poke his nose in again. Surely he must have some more lucrative speaking engagements to keep him busy. Sadly he is entitled to an opinion, the same as the majority of Britons who voted to leave.

POGS Fri 28-Oct-16 14:52:31

Sorry but what the hell has the figures to do with a democratic vote takes place and the highest number of votes wins the referendum.

It is meaningless.

The question is simple really.

' DO YOU BELIEVE IN DEMOCRACY AND A DEMOCRATIC VOTE OR NOT'

POGS Fri 28-Oct-16 14:54:03

Answer

Not if it doesn't go my way!

Welshwife Fri 28-Oct-16 14:58:21

Please don't keep saying the 'majority of Britons' when talking of those voting leave! It was 28% of the population !!! People failed to vote for many reasons not all of them being their own fault - I was denied a vote at the GE due to errors in sending out papers at the Electoral Office in my constituency! Some postal votes were received more than a month AFTER the referendum - again not the fault of the voter. Of those who did manage to vote - only 72% - it was not a huge majority at all - a lucky scrape through more likely.

nigglynellie Fri 28-Oct-16 15:02:04

Exactly, POGS!!!

Alima Fri 28-Oct-16 15:17:00

OK. The majority of Britons who voted.

Ana Fri 28-Oct-16 15:17:09

Welshwife you can't possibly know which way all those who failed to vote for whatever reason would have voted - it may not have made any difference at all to the final result.