Gransnet forums

News & politics

GCHQ poppy day

(24 Posts)
nanasam Fri 28-Oct-16 18:56:59

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-37796299

There's a beautiful waterfall of poppies in GCHQ commemorating our glorious fallen heros. I am a little uncomfortable (if that's the word) to see amongst the traditional poppies that they have put some in black, to commemorate ethnic minorities and some in rainbow to commemorate LGBT heros.
AIBU to believe that the traditional, red, poppy encompasses ALL heros, be they ethnic minority or LGBT or any other minority (in the best taste) group, I feel it deflects from the basic point of the remembrance poppy? Can we not just remember our fallen heros without compartmentalising them?

Luckygirl Fri 28-Oct-16 19:07:49

It does seem unnecessary and pointless. Remembering people is sufficient.

grannypiper Fri 28-Oct-16 19:36:02

nanasam you are allowed to feel uncomfortable about it, I think it is insulting. I wear my poppy with pride,i attened the rememberance service. I spent 20 years married to a R.A.F Airman, my father and brother were in the Navy, an uncle and nephew in the R.A.F, 2 uncles in the Army as well as a son in law and 1 uncle in the Marines so a military family through and through. I remember and respect equally every person who has given up their lives for our country irrespective of colour, creed and sexual orientation and find it insulting that we now have to make a special mention for lgbt and ethnic minorities as if their deaths have a higher priority. Why is a red poppy not enough for them ?

nigglynellie Fri 28-Oct-16 19:38:38

I agree nanasam and Luckygirl. All people are equal and should be represented as such.

Rigby46 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:43:53

Grannypiper

find it insulting that we now have to make a special mention for lgbt and ethnic minorities as if their deaths have a higher priority. Why is a red poppy not enough for them ?

I've read up on this and nowhere can I find any mention of ideas like 'higher priority' or 'red poppy not enough for them'. The whole project sounds like a lovely idea which many many people contributed to and which will raise money. I can see that some people might have wanted to add a black or rainbow poppy and why not? Nobody demanded it or forced it to be done. In the past ( and still today) black and gay service people have been discriminated against and forgotten. We treated a lot of Comminwealth soldiers very badly after the war and the Gurkas have had to fight for equal pension rights.

phoenix Fri 28-Oct-16 23:37:46

I always wear the red poppy, but would prefer to wear a white one.

durhamjen Fri 28-Oct-16 23:50:41

Yes, Phoenix, surprised there were no white ones mentioned.
I will be wearing my white one.
LGBT wouldn't have dared say they were. Wasn't it illegal?
It's good that they can be more open now.

daphnedill Fri 28-Oct-16 23:53:46

I would imagine the family of Alan Turing might think the inclusion of a few rainbow poppies appropriate, considering his role in intelligence (which is what GCHQ is all about) and the way he was treated for being gay. Black and rainbow poppies don't offend me in the slightest.

durhamjen Fri 28-Oct-16 23:54:01

Anyone know where the Weeping Window is now? I saw it at Woodhorn Colliery. Very impressive.

durhamjen Sat 29-Oct-16 00:01:59

Yes, daphne, hasn't he been pardoned now?
There was a debate about it this week, I think. The Tories voted for an amendment so not all LGBT were pardoned automatically. Some still have to apply. I wonder why they couldn't have just gone along with the Turing law.

GrammaM Sat 29-Oct-16 00:03:49

Quite insulting to fallen servicemen and families I feel. We have Royal Air Force- Royal Artillery- Royal Marines - Royal Navy in the family and I assure you we are all In IT Together. Why should gay's or different ethnic peoples get special poppies. Yes Alan Turing was treated awfully and he had a brilliant brain. The fallen were special because many joined up by choice. Nothing wrong in being gay or nationality but the poppy ought to be Red..

durhamjen Sat 29-Oct-16 00:10:01

Or white?
Conscientious objectors were killed, too, some by firing squad for being conscientious objectors.
I don't think it's insulting at all. What's wrong with making people feel special?
My dad trained Nigerians and took them out to Burma. Many of them died out there, but he took lots back to Nigeria. He would not object to there being black poppies to commemorate those men, to show that their deaths were recognised.

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 00:11:55

Insulting how? All in it together? There is a long and dishonourable history of racism and homophobia in the armed services that hasn't still been properly dealt with

durhamjen Sat 29-Oct-16 00:13:51

Actually, it looks as if there is a white one in it. Good.

daphnedill Sat 29-Oct-16 00:15:36

Why shouldn't gays and BAME have a handful of poppies?

It was the staff at GCHQ who created the display and up to them what they wanted to include. They wanted a little something to remember the contribution of people who are often forgotten. So what?

No need for you to assure me of anything. I had family members who fought in both world wars, as I expect most people do.

I don't understand the reference to the fallen joining up by choice. Many were conscripted.

durhamjen Sat 29-Oct-16 00:20:58

Do those who joined by choice get bigger poppies?

Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 00:23:11

I would say I found that funny dj but you know what trouble I get into when I say that re you

durhamjen Sat 29-Oct-16 00:36:11

Yes, I know what trouble I get into, as I'm not supposed to have a sense of humour.
Shall we just pretend I didn't say it?

grannyactivist Sat 29-Oct-16 00:41:24

I think what's important is that each one of these poppies was made by a volunteer who gave their time and talents to raise the profile of the annual RBL poppy appeal launch. We can't know the personal motive behind each one - why they chose to make a black, white or rainbow coloured one instead of the traditional red, but looking at the finished product I think it's a wonderful tribute and they are hopefully pleased with their stunning creation.

Anniebach Sat 29-Oct-16 10:05:51

Why not different colours , I wear red and white, if black and pink were sold I would buy those too .

The fallen are special because they died not because some joined by choice , who thinks on Remembrance Sunday of how many volunteered? We remember them because they died

nigglynellie Sat 29-Oct-16 10:11:57

Yes, you're right grannya, it is a stunning creation and a very fitting tribute to all our war dead whoever they may be. As for what colour and for what reason? If that's what is considered appropriate, then thats fine and certainly not something to be turned into moral argument. I shall wear my poppy with pride for all who have made the supreme sacrifice, including the wounded, in defence of freedom, with pride.

nigglynellie Sat 29-Oct-16 10:13:38

Sorry about the repetition! I must proof read in future!

Anniebach Sat 29-Oct-16 10:24:03

Great post niggly

nigglynellie Sat 29-Oct-16 10:37:47

Thanks ab. Hope your move is going smoothly! smile