Gransnet forums

News & politics

NEWS ONLY PLEASE Cressida Dick

(60 Posts)
jollyg Wed 22-Feb-17 15:41:21

After all the disasters appointed to be top cop in London, it can only get better with the appointment of Cressida Dick.

With a female PM and now chief commissioner I hope things can only go from strength to strength.

The men have had their chance.

Good luck Cressida

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 15:53:26

hmm
Wasn't she in charge of operations when Jean Charles Menenez was killed?

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 15:54:13

Apologies - Jean Charles DE Menenez

merlotgran Wed 22-Feb-17 16:01:37

I think I'd change my surname.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 16:07:02

It is a rather unfortunate one, isn't it...?

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 16:13:15

Not the first D* to be Chief Commissioner..? hmm

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 16:14:36

But the first to flag it up before she's even started...grin

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 16:18:58

(Oh dear, d'you think jollyg was attempting to forestall this type of schoolyard humour? We are incorrigible...sorry!)

willsmadnan Wed 22-Feb-17 16:26:30

well, I'm not rejoicing. One of the worst cock-ups (of the many) in the history of the Met came during her watch, and now she's heading up the whole force. God help us! Is the Met ever going to get a decent CC ?

Riverwalk Wed 22-Feb-17 16:50:17

No rejoicing from me either.

The Metropolitan Police do an excellent job for the most part, and it's understandable that sometimes special operations can go spectacularly wrong, but the deliberately misleading information fed to the press in the immediate aftermath of the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes was disgraceful - on a par with Hillsborough.

willsmadnan Wed 22-Feb-17 16:58:34

Oops .... just realised there's an unintentional Freudian slip in the 2nd sentence of my posting blush. Nothing unintentional about my disgust however.

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 18:00:54

Perhaps she has been 'promoted to get her out of harm's way' as DH would say.
The Dilbert Principle:
Dilbert principle postulates that promotions in work places are a way to take out incompetent people from the front line, pushing them to upper levels where they will not have a scope to inflict much damage, so that the work will be carried on without obstruction by competent personnel who will never reach any managerial positions

merlotgran Wed 22-Feb-17 18:06:32

grin willsmadnan

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 18:08:22

Perhaps the thread title should have been "No sniggering at the back!" grin

Ilovecheese Wed 22-Feb-17 19:20:06

I don't know anything about her, but she must be really tough to have got to her position in the police force with a name like that

merlotgran Wed 22-Feb-17 19:23:24

NO jokes about missionaries or we'll all be in detention!

radicalnan Thu 23-Feb-17 10:28:03

A woman and gay apparently, ticked some boxes......what a pity she didn't have one leg and red hair we'd have had the full house.

As for the name..........FFS posh totty with a poor track record and we are somehow supposed to be thrilled she got the job. Someone got murdered on her watch she ought to have had the bums rush.........like the pliticians not much to choose from really.

Kim19 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:30:50

Why does it seem that women are so often sent in to clear up the disasters left by men? May be that we're more practical but we always have to start with a mountain to climb. Somewhat unfair methinks but...more power to her elbow!

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Feb-17 10:48:24

I agree with you, jollyg. She must be one tough woman to get where she has in possibly the most male dominated job going. Promotion certainly isn't handed out on a plate in the police service, and she's proved herself serving her time dealing with the dangerous, shitty and thankless jobs they all have to in the lower ranks. I hardly think being "posh totty" (what a horrible term!) would be a great advantage to her.

I'm sure there isn't a puerile joke about her name that she hasn't heard a thousand times.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Feb-17 10:49:23

And what on earth has her sexual orientation to do with anything?

gillybob Thu 23-Feb-17 10:57:39

So glad you said what I was thinking radicalnan wink

Mind you I don't think i would like to cross her she looks 'ard.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 23-Feb-17 11:02:09

No doubt however good at her job I could not suppress a grin imagining with a name like that the comments that will be made from those she 'upsets'.

radicalnan Thu 23-Feb-17 11:12:20

Sadly, sexual orientation is one of the quotas to be filled......just as race, gender etc.......we don't get the best people for the job we get the make weights.....so that we can say we don't discriminate.

Why do you think every agency asks all those details about you?

ExaltedWombat Thu 23-Feb-17 11:14:37

Interesting. I see WOMEN are allowed to be overtly sexist... Just saying.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Feb-17 11:49:05

Indeed, ExaltedWombat. A lot of work has been done to try to redress the huge gender and race imbalance in the police force, and the culture of discrimination that held so many good people back for years. Things are changing, slowly, but it seems from this thread that some women would prefer it if every officer was white, male and heterosexual.

Don't worry, women won't be taking over any time soon. Nearly 31% of constables are female now, but less than 23% of senior officers are.