Gransnet forums

News & politics

Laura Kuenssberg

(54 Posts)
tigger Thu 23-Mar-17 22:42:17

Is it me, or does anyone else find Lauran Kurenssberg's coverage of he terrorist attack provocative and divisive? I have just watched her latest BBC broadcast where she states that it was not the police but a minister's bodyguard who apprehended the terrorist and killed him. By implication she infers that the Parliamentary Police Force was inadequate and slow to react. Also that the terrorist was able to breach the Parliament gateway. Given that the attack was the action of a "lone wolf" the action taken by the police officers in the first instance was exemplary. I believe it was inappropriate for her to comment in the tone and manner she made this broadcast and perhaps many others may agree with my opinion of her stance she made on this occasion.

Anniebach Thu 23-Mar-17 22:52:44

But she spoke the truth, isn't this what we want? Was she to lie and say the shot was fired by an officer, why not give credit to the man who did stop the terrorist . And he did breach the parlimentry gateway didn't he? Do we want facts or not.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Mar-17 23:01:56

Agree 100% tigger. I've got to the point where I can't bear to listen to her reportage because of her insufferable need to injection drama into every news item. No matter how boring or mundane the subject, Kuenssberg seems to almost delight in delivering ever more dire and urgent bulletins and always seems to have a ready made scapegoat lined up to account for it.. She seems to have a need to lay blame for something, very specifically at someone's feet, usually in political reportage. How unpleasant of her to be doing it when so many have suffered already. Only one person was to blame for yesterday's events. And it wasn't any member of the police force.

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 23:05:20

Today is not the right time for an inquisition.
Everything is very raw, straightforward reporting of the news is what is needed and time for questioning later on.
I for one am finding Laura Kuenssberg increasingly grating and inappropriately intrusive at a time of grief for many people.

Perhaps the BBC should give her a programme of her own when she can investigate and present issues which she feels need her razor sharp style of journalism - and we can switch her off if we like without the risk of missing the next item of news.

Penstemmon Thu 23-Mar-17 23:06:54

I am not sure what point you are making tigger ?

I did not see her report so I may well agree with you but in what way do you consider it divisive? Who did you feel she was trying to divide. Most reports, BBC included, I have seen, have been v supportive of the Met and very respectful in their reporting of the death of the police officer.
The facts are that a non-uniformed, armed security officer did fire the shots that killed the murderer and the car was driven into the fence at Westminster. Is it the reporting of those facts you object to or did she embellish the facts in a way you did not agree with or did she gave an opinion that you disagreed with?

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 23:10:36

She doesn't just report the facts though, she was trying to lay blame with the security services.

Surely her remit is to report the facts? 'News at 10' should give us a clue.
Put her on Newsnight, more her type of programme.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Mar-17 23:19:29

Yes Jalima she's more of a Paxman type journalist. She doesn't have sufficient empathy to report on events such as yesterday's; her style and delivery is too combatative. Heaven knows what those who were actually caught up in yesterday's events must think, especially the policeman's family, knowing that he lost his life and Kuenssberg is alluding to the fact that the police force somehow "failed". How crass.

Anniebach Thu 23-Mar-17 23:20:54

What did she which was trying to lay blame ?

Chewbacca Thu 23-Mar-17 23:21:50

Eh?

Chewbacca Thu 23-Mar-17 23:49:59

Kuenssberg makes direct reference to the fact that intelligence sources "missed" Masood and that he "slipped through" surveillance and then immediately refers to him being stopped, not by parliamentary routine police, but by a personal body guard. The inference being that the events of yesterday were not the results of a seriously twisted and evil man but due to the inadequacies and failures of security forces. I wasn't there but I'm pretty certain that those who were, did their absolute best to do their jobs fully. Lessons for the future will, no doubt be learned, but only person is actually responsible for what happened. And that's khalid masood .

daphnedill Fri 24-Mar-17 03:16:28

Kuenssberg is a professional journalist. She stated facts. I'm fed up with the kind of journalism which gives the public the kind of narrative people want to hear.

daphnedill Fri 24-Mar-17 03:18:25

Chewbacca

You made that inference. Kuenssberg stated facts.

f77ms Fri 24-Mar-17 06:13:42

I can`t stand listening to the woman either . It is not just that she puts her own `spin` on everything it is also her whiny, nasally voice .

daphnedill Fri 24-Mar-17 07:10:29

Don't listen to her then. Simples!

Iam64 Fri 24-Mar-17 07:13:16

Kuenssberg is, as daphnedill says, a professional journalist. She reported the facts as they happened and I didn't interpret what she said as criticising the police or security services. The assailant was shot by an armed personal body guard, thankfully before he could maim or murder anyone else. The key issue has to be consideration to more armed police, or even the routine carrying of arms by all our police personnel. I'd rather that didn't happen but I can see its something that will have to be reviewed and re considered.

daphnedill Fri 24-Mar-17 07:44:26

Kuenssberg was in the HoC when it all happened. At first, nobody knew what was going on and she tweeted factual information as it became clearer. It could have been much worse, but nobody knew at the time that there was only one assailant. For a journalist, it was a coup.

I didn't interpret her reporting that it was Fallon's bodyguard who had shot the murderer as a criticism of the police and security forces, but as a fact.

I agree with you Iam64. I suspect more police will be routinely armed, but I guess that's going to be something the new Met Commissioner decides.

Anya Fri 24-Mar-17 07:46:09

Laura Kuenssberg is a thorough professional. If you don't like the facts that she reports then seek your preferred version of the news elsewhere...there are plenty to choose from.

Rinouchka Fri 24-Mar-17 08:21:18

Whilst she may not be the most likeable of journalists in her manner( who is???), she did her job by reporting the truth. Worrying if we pillory a reporter for telling the truth. It was a statement of fact.
On the whole, even from the French perspective here where I currently am, there has been nothing but praise and admiration for the police, and surprise that those guarding Parliament are not be armed.

PRINTMISS Fri 24-Mar-17 08:27:04

Of course she is a professional, that is the way she got the job, and of course she reports the facts, it is the way that she reports them. She is I think becoming more aggressive in her manner, which I find unappealing, so she loses my interest.

Anniebach Fri 24-Mar-17 08:29:36

Some here are putting their spin on it, she reported what happened .

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 08:37:59

If Laura K thinks the security around Parliament is inadequate, why shouldn't she say so in terms as "aggressive"* as she likes?

*Remember when "aggressive" was used as an insult to women who stood up for themselves? I prefer incisive or sharp as those indicate a good brain that likes to get to the bottom of the matter, to the truth.

Nothing and nobody is beyond criticism. Not all criticism is bad. Some of it is useful and constructive. I am sure that security around the Palace of Westminster will be gone through with a fine tooth comb after Wednesday's events. And a good thing too if prevents a repeat of that outrage.

Anniebach Fri 24-Mar-17 08:49:24

She is a woman in a male dominated world, women must sit at news desks , read their scripts and dress smartly . Laura K doesn't , she reports facts , she reported the attack on Westminster as it happened, suppose she was expected to weep a little tear, have a croak in her voice and say - I think our policemen are wonderful whilst fluttering her eyelashes .

Ana Fri 24-Mar-17 08:58:00

I like her. As for her saying that security forces 'missed' Masood, that's all over the front covers of most of today's papers. It does seem that some would prefer a rather bland way of reporting news.

annsixty Fri 24-Mar-17 09:06:09

Laura K is a very bright and astute young woman who is very well respected in journalistic and other circles. Let her do her job.

TerriBull Fri 24-Mar-17 09:11:01

I believe she's been jeered at by the hard left rabble so that alone is enough to make me sympathetic towards her. She's clearly super bright and as others have said she does her job well we don't want fluffy headed reporting on the news she's not Holly Willoughby. Thank God!