Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aimed at the Wrong People?

(364 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:27:31

Was Jeremy Corbyn's speech at Glastonbury aimed at the wrong people?

The well-heeled and privileged people who paid £238 each for their tickets, teepees or glamping extra, running into the thousands of £, cheering him on and lauding him are not the disaffected living in poverty whom he champions. Do they not see the irony in this as they go back to their middle-class comfortable lives, recycling their rubbish and urging us to 'look after the planet'.

This is from last year but I am sure it is just the same this year. Brand-new tents left behind, mounds of rubbish to be cleared up by others - who cares who clears it as long as they don't have to soil their own hands. Someone will do it - probably on a wage less than a quarter of what most of them will earn.

'Takers of the system' as the commentary says:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70LCoK-XMA

And the fence - the fence!! Perhaps Donald Trump could take a lesson on how to build a huge fence to keep out the hoi-polloi, the less than desirable who cannot afford a ticket.

Who said that Glastonbury is 'The Most Bourgeois Festival on the Planet'? Was it someone from Iron Maiden? Can't remember now but I do remember someone mentioning it.

Oh, the irony.
Obviously Jeremy Corbyn didn't understand that, nor did the crowds he was addressing.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 16:31:36

I agree with that comment Jalima and in fact a great deal of the festival goers are not young, or anything like it.
Over the years it has become a travesty of itself.....even the bands have got older and richer!

Jalima1108 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:40:24

A friend mentioned the mess left behind - not to mention expensive tents and camping equipment, airbeds, sleeping bags etc.
Disgusting and ironic when you think about the homeless and so many without, not to mention leaving all that that for others to clear up.
Now, if Jeremy had told them all they all need to pay more tax to help people less privileged than themselves would he have received such a rapturous welcome?
Because that is what they need to do.

Anya Mon 26-Jun-17 16:46:39

Is this another 'let's knock Jeremy Corbyn' thread?

Anya Mon 26-Jun-17 16:47:25

Or is it a 'let's knock festival goers'?

Anya Mon 26-Jun-17 16:47:45

Or is it just another example of moaning old women?

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 16:55:40

Gee thanks Anya hmm

petra Mon 26-Jun-17 16:56:19

It was Iron Maiden jalima
I don't see it as a knocking Corbyn or festival goers.
It's the irony that is Glastonbury coupled with Corbyns speech.

Iam64 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:58:40

All three of those things Anya.

I believe many of the festival goers would be pleased to pay more tax, if that money was used to support the building of more social housing, education, the NHS and other public services. Many people who weren't at Glastonbury would be in the pay more tax for better public services camp.

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 16:59:40

Anyone know what a football season ticket costs? No one considers that to be the reserve of the middle classes.

This is just a silly thread based on someone's uninformed opinion.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:01:21

Iam64.... but would they though? Most people grumble about taxes.

NannyMcPhU Mon 26-Jun-17 17:02:48

I'm with Anya this is just another moany thread.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:03:21

It's a thread that is not a left wing thread true ww but that certainly doesn't make it a silly one, or a reason for unpleasant comments ( from anybody) about other posters.

Ana Mon 26-Jun-17 17:03:34

On what grounds whitewave? I don't see anything 'uninformed' in *Jalima's OP.

You do come over as rather self-important these days...hmm

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:04:28

Is it alright that moany threads are exclusively left wing ones? we have so many of those!

Rigby46 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:06:07

Yep another goady thread based on so many false premises it's best just to go and have a cup of tea - just my opinion of course,

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 17:06:50

I already have the kettle on * rig*

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:07:33

The video said that it was left by about a quarter of the people there. That leaves three quarters who are responsible people.
As far as the fence is concerned, if my kids were there I would be pleased at that amount of securtiy after what happened in Manchester.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:07:43

From the bit I saw on TV, which was McDonnell speaking, the applause was weak considering how many thousands were there, so not all festival goers were fans of either man.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:08:55

I have a cup of mint tea in front of me, having just come back from the hairdresser's.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:09:34

Is that all you saw, roses?
Never mind.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:10:49

Why were you watching McDonnell anyway? Just so you could criticise?

kittylester Mon 26-Jun-17 17:28:12

Is it forbidden to listen to him unless one supports him? Surely it's a good thing to listen to all views however misguided they might be!

sunseeker Mon 26-Jun-17 17:36:26

According to Glastonbury Festival website it costs around £780,000 to clear up the rubbish after a festival. If the festival goers took their rubbish home, or donated unwanted tents, sleeping bags etc. to a homeless shelter, a large part of that money could go to the charities the festival supports.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 17:44:13

Do they just throw it all away then?