Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jews and racism

(444 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 20-Aug-17 13:19:35

In the news this morning - one in three Jews are considering leaving the U.k because of racism.

83% believe the Labour Party are not doing enough to support them

lemongrove Sun 20-Aug-17 13:20:42

That's a very high and worrying number , isn't it?

Ana Sun 20-Aug-17 13:22:55

Yes indeed. I do hope no one's going to deny that anything of the sort is going on...

Anniebach Sun 20-Aug-17 13:50:03

Very worrying lemongrove. And the person appointed to investigate anti semistism in the Labour Party found no problem and was given a seat in the Lords by Corbyn who was filmed hugging a momentum lout who had caused a jewess labour MP to flee the meeting on the findings in tears

Anniebach Sun 20-Aug-17 13:51:07

Countess Shami said nothing was amiss Ana

TriciaF Sun 20-Aug-17 15:16:56

I hardly dare mention this (it has bee hotly debated on here) -one of the main complaints is that several of the private, not state supported, Jewish schools have been threatened with closure because of H&S risks and not enough secular subjects.
Also since the brexit referendum there has been an increase in various types of antisemitic attacks, especially in London.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 15:31:47

The report I read said that one in three have considered leaving the UK in the last two years, not one in three are considering leaving.
Yougov polls taken over the last three years.

GillT57 Sun 20-Aug-17 15:46:56

Seems a very high figure, I wonder where it came from? And where do the disgruntled Jewish people think it will be better? USA? Obviously not after the disgusting scenes last week, and France, just to name one European country has long had a history of anti-semitism. I am not denying the problem, just curious. From what I have read, some of the ultra orthodox Jewish faith schools leave much to be desired in terms of health, safety, hygiene, gender equality etc., and are very narrow in their views and education, just as narrow in fact as the Islamic schools which have been much criticised. Being a faith school should not give exemption from the rules of safety and equality expected in State schools.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 15:54:52

Can't find the report on yougov. Can anyone else?

Where did you get your information from, Annie?

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 16:30:28

"The CAA's research also makes clear the level of distrust in the Labour party among British Jews, with four in five saying they think the party harbours anti-semites. "
Who do they think they are?
Where is the proof?
Should the CAA not tell the Labour party if they have proof of this, or is it all whipped up by the redtops?

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 16:44:30

Not just the redtops. Link to an Israeli report of the survey - www.timesofisrael.com/1-in-3-uk-jews-say-they-considered-emigrating-over-anti-semitism-poll/

" Since 2015, 80% of respondents said they believe that the Labour Party is harboring anti-Semites in its ranks."

Comment by Dov Segal after the article - "The survey also looked at antisemitism and concluded that, "The data appear to show that British society is shunning antisemitic prejudice" as the number of respondents who agreed with at least one antisemitic statement presented to them had dropped from 39% in 2016 to 36% in 2017."

"A controversial conclusion because some 20 to 30% of the respondents replied with "don't know" to the antisemitic statements. Sure this group did not endorse the statements, but they did not deny them either.
If they had asked the question, do you "disagree" with all of the antisemitic statements, up to half of the respondents would have likely said no."

"Another depressing result:^
Only 20 to 30% replied that the antisemitic statements were "definitely not true".
antisemitism.uk/.../Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 16:47:37

It may "just" be the impression of Jewish people living in the Uk - but that impression wasn't plucked out of the air. It had been felt by the 10,000 British Jews interviewed.

Iam64 Sun 20-Aug-17 16:50:45

Where is the evidence that its all whipped up by the redtops? If the Muslim Council of Britain had made similar comments, that many Muslims are thinking of leaving or that the Labour Party harbours people with anti Muslim views, I can't imagine it being suggested that was whipped up by the redtops.
Anecdotally, anyone in close contact with members of the Jewish community will report their concerns about the Labour Party and a feeling that anti semitism is increasingly accepted.
GillT, I read an interview yesterday in which a Jewish man living in Europe said he now believed all Jewish people should move to Israel before what he sees as a growing anti Jewish mindset becomes main stream.

Iam64 Sun 20-Aug-17 16:51:33

Thanks Elegran for some factual information. I cross posted with you

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 16:54:16

And this page has a link to the actual survey antisemitism.uk/barometer/

I am surprised you couldn't find it,dj You are usually so good at finding reports. This only took me a couple of minutes.

Riverwalk Sun 20-Aug-17 16:55:25

I know many British Jews and as far as I'm aware not one of them is considering leaving the UK.

As for the 1 in 3, surely it's 1 in 3 of the number who were polled, not 1 in 3 of all British Jews.

It's quite inaccurate to say that so many are considering leaving the UK.

And, what's it got to do with the Labour Party? They're not in power confused

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 16:55:40

The more serious papers have now picked up on the story.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Aug-17 17:07:23

Where I live has had a very large influx of Jewish folk: I don't know exactly what 'branch' they follow, but they are very strict. The women cover their hair with wigs, and the men have curly long sideburns, and they all seem to wear black all the time. (Well, I expect that's another step towards my being identified, should this end up on Facebook)
Anyway, the point is that the BBC are planning a programme, which is apparently going to show the locals as racist idiots. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nobody is the slightest bit bothered about the Jewish families: they keep themselves very much to themselves, and we leave them to get on with it.
It has been said by the BBC that it is, in fact, to show that those with quite radical beliefs can blend in with those who dont share them. Watch this space.

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 17:17:33

"The surveys of British adults were administered online to members of YouGov’s panel of 800,000 British adults who have agreed to take part in surveys." so of those 800,000 sampled
36% (288,000 ?) believe at least one antisemitic stereotype
19% ( 152,000 ?) believe two or more antisemitic stereotypes
12% (96,000 ?) believe three or more antisemitic stereotypes

"Our survey of British Jews was modelled on the National Jewish Community Survey (NJCS) conducted by the Institute for Jewish Policy research. In common with the NJCS, the sample was self-selecting, and respondents were required to selfidentify as Jewish and confirm that they
lived in the United Kingdom. Like the NJCS, they were contacted primarily through ‘seed’ organisations, including synagogal organisations, Jewish online networks (including targeted advertising on social networks), and community welfare organisations, among others. In common with the NJCS, the seed organisations were used to initiate a ‘snowballing’ process which, in effect, created a nonprobability convenience sample. It was not possible to use a random probability sampling approach for this tudy because a suitable sampling frame for the Jewish population is not available in the UK."

"They constitute about 1% of the total number of Jewish adults in the United Kingdom. It is certainly sufficiently large for us to be confident that the percentages obtained through our polling are representative of the Jewish population ."
Are there any real statisticians among us who can comment on these figures? Or on the rest of the survey? Without getting het up about it being a slur on their favbourite politicians? - it is, after all, a survey of general attitudes and gut reaction fears

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 17:22:03

Thank you for your link, Elegran. It says sample size 1614, so where did you get 10,000 from?

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 17:23:52

The survey was only taken by Jews. I doubt whether there are 800,000 Jews taking part in yougov surveys.

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 17:33:05

The 10,000 are from the Israeli report, dj. That was the first serious reporting of the survey I found. I think that was the result of the combined findings from the years from 2015 to 2017. The 800, 000 British adults (not just Jewish, There were two parts to the survey, general and Jewish. It is all there in the methodology) were also combined figures for 2015, 2016 and 2017,

"The findings are part of a report published Sunday by the Campaign Against Antisemitism watchdog group, which conducted since 2015 interviews with more than 10,000 British Jews together with the YouGov market research company. "

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 17:37:44

The reason I said the redtops is because I looked up Annie's statement that Jews are thinking of leaving the UK because of racism, and it was then only in the Mirror, Sun and DM.

Do you not think there is a difference between saying that they are thinking about leaving the UK and that they have considered it over the last two years?

Elegran Sun 20-Aug-17 17:39:42

The first part of my post of 17:17:33 has the figures for the general British adults and their view of Jewish stereotypes, apparently aggregated from the surveys of 2015, 16 and 17.

That may in fact include duplicated individuals - bu the percentage of the total number of interviews over the three years is till the same, and is a large number of people with prejudices.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 17:48:46

Sorry, but you cannot combine three years results. You could be counting the same people over again and again.

Page six of the antisemitism barometer says 1614 adults were sampled in 2017.