Gransnet forums

News & politics

That’s not a brexiter that’s a rebel who believes in democracy

(202 Posts)
whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 15:27:26

New thread.

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 15:37:31

Yesterday was the moment when the government must have realised that there is no majority for a hard Brexit, and no majority for a no deal.

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 15:42:57

Tax payers may be interested to know that Fox has claimed £23K so far in his effort to obtain a trade deal.

Question how many deals to date?

Answer - none

Expensive bit of nothing isn’t it?

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 15:47:56

Is he allowed to do any deals yet?
All our deals are still done through the EU, so if he makes UK deals, isn't he breaking EU law?
I'd quite like him to do that, though, just to see what happened.

GillT57 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:23:32

Don't think you will have to wait long DJ, the man is a greedy fool and will soon be caught yet again.If this was a TV series I would have turned it off weeks ago as being too unbelievable. There is a great page on FB called 'News Thump'which parodies current affairs.......it is getting more and more difficult to mock politics and politicians as they do such a good job of it themselves grin

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 16:26:52

Wonder if he has taken any friends with him this time?

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 16:43:02

Johnson has said that Brexit is unstoppable , but as Francis Grove-White tweeted.

“That’s not for Johnson to decide. Article 50 we know is reversible and at the very least parliament will decide whether the terms are acceptable”.

Johnson is one amongst 600, and one amongst the U.K. population an£ his vote accounts for the same as everyone else.

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 17:36:21

Eight of those who believe in democracy were in the legal profession before they voted.
The silly thing May did was not appoint anyone from the legal profession in her top Brexit jobs. I didn't think she was one of those who didn't believe in experts.

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:42:43

Dominic Grieve has received death threats. I wonder if the Fail has encoutpraged such behaviour with its headline today?

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:44:13

Grieve seems to think so according to a report I’ve just read

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:46:40

Farage is getting angry about a European army which is apparently as fictional as the 350 bus, according to Nick Clegg.

Morgana Thu 14-Dec-17 17:48:29

Can I hope that she secretly wants to remain and the incompetency is to allow us time to reconsider leaving the European Union? Feeling very despondent about the suicide route we are on

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 17:48:39

infacts.org/mutineers-victory-big-shot-arm-stop-brexit-movement/

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:53:14

Peston tweeted

Speaking to a Tory who thinks that Maybot will withdraw her bill to set the Brexit date in tablets of stone.

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 17:53:17

Just as important for those who believe in democracy.

infacts.org/electoral-commission-half-job-vote-leave-spending/

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:54:55

Just have to keep digging.

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 17:56:00

The rebels will win another vote next week if she doesn't withdraw her bill about the date. She probably can't afford that to happen again.
At the moment people are saying she has only lost one vote, but that's because she has changed her opinion on a few things, so there was no vote.

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:58:05

Yes stuff simply doesn’t go to the vote to avoid potential defeat.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:11:19

Death threats for those Tory MPs who voted for the Amendment- and plastered as traitors on the front of the Daily Mail sad shameful in the extreme.

I'd hope that no-one here on GN, however they voted on Brexit - would condone this, in any shape or form.

Tegan2 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:30:38

Did anyone see Chris Leslie speaking in parliament after last nights vote? He was brilliant!

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 18:33:44

Yes, I did, and thought that, too. I wonder where all the other MPs were.

durhamjen Thu 14-Dec-17 19:16:45

Excellent article by Polly Toynbee.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/14/proud-tory-brexit-rebels-parliament-mutineers

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 19:37:02

I didn’t hear Chris Leslie - I wonder if it’s on YouTube?

Fennel Thu 14-Dec-17 21:02:50

Morgana wrote
"Can I hope that she secretly wants to remain " - she did belong to the Remain camp before the referendum, supporting Cameron.
She seems to go along as the wind blows and changes, with no strong convictions.

petra Thu 14-Dec-17 21:14:32

whitewave
Re your 'fictional' eu army.
Today was the official launch of the programme under which European states will integrate their defences.
The programme has a name. PESCO.