Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg Moves For Conservative Party Leadership.

(683 Posts)
Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 17:49:55

With an open attack on Theresa Mays handling of the Brexit negotiations many in the media believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his first open move in a bid to become Conservative party leader and Britain's next Prime Minister.

Rees-Mogg in yet another of his ongoing interviews with the media lambasted "weak" Theresa May for preparing the UK for "Brexit failure". Rees-Mogg stated that with The British negotiators going into each set of negotiations with an attitude of "we will kowtow before you, Mr Barnier in every way you possible throughout these talks" there is no hope of success for the UK. The foregoing are undoubtedly harsh words indeed even from an arch hard line Brexitier, but many believe that there is far more to Rees-Moggs words than just Brexit.

It may well be that this hard line right wing politician has witnessed the way that Jeremy Corbyn has moved the Labour party to the left and now feels he could carry out the same in the Conservative party with the exception of that move being in the opposite direction in regards to political ground.

Evidence to the above can be seen in Rees-Moggs attack on Scottish Conservative Leader Ruth Davison, for in the same interview he stated that Davison should not be allowed to marry her longtime same sex partner as planned. However, same sex marriage legislation was put before parliament and passed in 2013 under the David Cameron coalition government.

In making the above comment Rees-Mogg is undoubtedly looking to damage Ruth Davison, who also is seen as a possible next leader of the Conservative party. That stated, it is also being seen as a move against centre ground Concervatives in parliament.

In the above can be seen shades of Momentum's original moves against centre Blairite MPs in the Labour party.

yggdrasil Wed 23-May-18 18:15:33

gawdelpus :-((

varian Wed 23-May-18 18:20:11

The post-Brexit customs arrangement favoured by leading Brexiteers could cost UK businesses up to £20bn a year, HMRC has said. The organisation's chief executive, Jon Thompson, told MPs the option of a "highly streamlined customs arrangement" would be significantly more costly than a more comprehensive customs partnership - the other option ministers are considering.

He said HMRC had estimated the cost to businesses of having to complete customs declaration forms after Brexit as £32.50 per shipment. There are around 200 million transfers of goods between the UK and the EU each year, meaning the total cost of customs declarations for UK firms would be £6.5bn each year. EU companies would have to pay a similar amount, taking the overall cost to £13bn.

Ministers are currently considering two options for managing imports and exports after Brexit. The first option, the "highly streamlined customs partnership", would seek to allow the frictionless transfer of goods across the border by using technology to reduce the need for checks. This has been described as maximum facilitation, leading the arrangement to be dubbed "max fac".

The other option, a more substantive customs partnership, would see the UK and EU collect tariff duties on each other's behalf. This would, in theory, allow goods to cross the border without the need for comprehensive checks.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-uk-eu-customs-model-cost-business-trade-hmrc-jon-thompson-max-fac-20-billion-a8365576.html

This is the future favoured by JRM- the cost of £20billion is an estimated annual cost to British businesses - and ultimately that would be a cost to British customers - you and me.

Ilovecheese Wed 23-May-18 18:50:09

Is it the party members who choose the leader, or is it the M.Ps?

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 19:27:51

Not sure on the above Ilovecheese, but "I believe" in recent years the party membership has a say and vote in the election of leader but whether that is one member one vote overall, again not sure.

It could be a "weighted" ballot with the MPs having a set percentage share.

Anniebach Wed 23-May-18 19:29:20

The MP’s bring the number down to 2 candidates, then party members vote, one member one vote

Ilovecheese Wed 23-May-18 19:32:31

Thank you Annie and grandad

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 19:38:00

JRM knows he has no chance of being PM so I hardly think this is a first move with that in mind at all.
He is simply doing what he believes should be done as he thinks a hard Brexit is the way forward.

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 19:52:32

Lemongrove, it was thought within the Labour party that Jeremy Corbyn had "no chance" of becoming party leader, and look what happened there when the grassroots party members had their say.

varian Wed 23-May-18 19:58:51

And do remember that the membership of the Conservative Party is tiny - about a tenth of Labour Party membership, about half the size of the LibDems. Members average age is 71. They tend to be readers of The Telegraph or Daily Mail who hark back to the glorious days of Empire. JRM could well appeal to those unrepresentative members of the UK population.

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:02:38

If Brexit was all that Jacob Rees-Mogg was all that he was interested in, why did he attack the marriage of Ruth Davison in the same interview.

It would seem to many I am sure that there was much more than Brexit underlying that interview?

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 20:05:53

For the same to happen there would have to be a big swing to the right of the Party, which certainly hasn’t happened yet.Yes, a week in politics is a long time, but if the Labour MP’s had paid more attention to the fact that grass roots members, thanks to the £3 vote had become very left wing and very active, then they could have at least guessed what may happen.
JRM is popular in the press because he makes ‘good press’ everyone gawps at his 18th Century outlook on things, and
He is liked (apparently) in The House because he is polite and charming to all sides, but I doubt even he himself thinks he will become PM.Do the Conservatives really want to portray themselves that way, with a Lord Snooty at the helm? I wouldn't have thought so.Still, in politics, even the seemingly impossible does happens......grinas you say, with Jeremy Corbyn being chosen!

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 20:09:39

JRM is an RC of the old school, so he doesn’t believe in same sex marriage or abortion.The very fact that he says quite clearly what he does or doesn’t believe in seems, to me, to rule out any ambition to be PM.

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:12:51

Lemongrove, your view of the Conservative Party was largely destroyed by varions posting above @ 19:58 today so I will not repeat those very true statements.

Therefore can I suggest that you respond to the points made in that post to the interest of us all

Day6 Wed 23-May-18 20:16:30

Well, if and when the news is awash with reports of a change of leadership Grandad your OP might be of interest.

Until then you are merely speculating and applying wishful thinking - hoping the Conservative Party might emulate the fiasco Labour still endures, regarding Corbyn's catastrophic leadership which still divides the party. hmm

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:17:33

Lemongrove, all MPs have ambition to be Ladder of their party and prime Minister, that is why the go into politics in the first place.

No one wishes to be an "also ran" in what ever profession or occupation they join.

Belgravian Wed 23-May-18 20:18:05

I was a lifelong Conservative voter and supporter but switched to UKIP in the last general election. Now I wouldn't vote for them as they don't have Nigel in charge. I like Bill Etheridgde a lot though.

Mrs May is awful. I can't stand her. I adored Maggie Thatcher and am bitterly disappointed at Mrs May's appalling leadership.

I do like the Mogg but I just don't think he will appeal to the masses.

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:19:16

Apologies should be leader above not ladder. Although JRMcould be on the ladder to be leader I suppose.

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:26:17

Belgravian, JRM may well appeal to many in the Conservative party perhaps enough to make him leader. However, I agree with you he would certainly not appeal to the wider electorate in any general election.

That said, I believe he is hoping to get the prime minister's job without having to face that wider electorate, at least not in the near future.

lemongrove Wed 23-May-18 20:28:46

Grandad... no point me saying anything more as I have already said what I think, that JRM becoming PM is highly improbable but not impossible.

Jalima1108 Wed 23-May-18 20:29:30

I don't think most 71 year olds remember "the glorious days of Empire" varian!

Belgravian Wed 23-May-18 20:31:01

This is what I like about the Mogg, he's cool, calm and collected

unitynewsnetwork.co.uk/amp-listen-as-jacob-rees-mogg-effortlessly-destroys-david-lammy-over-brexit/

Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 20:36:03

Day6, the Concervative party in parliament is already a "fiasco" that is why JRM has made the move he has backed by a group of hardline Brexitiers and right wingers.

What's up Day6 do you not like this forum discussing the problems of the Tory party. You seem to love to continuously discuss the problems of the Labour party in another thread. No appetite for Ballance.

Beau Wed 23-May-18 20:37:28

I'm the same as Belgravian - I also adore JRM and can't abide Mrs. May. JRM is actually more popular with 'the masses' than you might think - they appear to admire his straight talking and intelligence. I say that because I keep a close eye on social media (that's how I won £500 when 'Leave' won and a smaller sum when Trump won ?

Day6 Wed 23-May-18 20:38:54

all MPs have ambition to be Ladder (sic) of their party and prime Minister, that is why the go into politics in the first place.

Good grief Grandad. You know this for a fact? How?

In all walks of life there are people who strive to lead and people who are quite happy not to have that responsibility. The same applies to people in politics.

( I might add that one Jeremy Corbyn was happy to spend decades on the back benches until the hard left faction urged him to stand, and then it was quite obvious that he didn't have a clue as to how to behave when his comrades thrust him to power. It was pretty obvious that a hard left Momentum coup d'état needed a former Marxist rebel, no matter how incompetent, to lead the charge. JC has floundered and probably wishes he still had back-bench anonimity.)