Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cruise passenger rescued after 10 hours in the sea

(70 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 21-Aug-18 00:01:24

How amazing that this woman managed to keep calm enough to stay afloat for ten hours before being rescued - and she seemed remarkably unfazed by the whole experience. I wonder how she fell overboard.

I read in the I today that 319 people have gone overboard since 2000 and it is "extremely uncommon" for them to be found alive. I was surprised that so many people have fallen or jumped overboard while on cruises.

Coolgran65 Tue 21-Aug-18 01:40:44

I can't understand how anyone could just fall overboard. Surely safety regulations ensure that just falling over is not possible.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Aug-18 02:38:08

I m with you Coolgran it all sounds rather strange to me She was the equivalent of eight storeys up and just ‘fell over’ and seemingly didn’t hurt herself at all for someone who had been in the water ten hours she seemed remarkable unfazed by it all Quite bizarre

kittylester Tue 21-Aug-18 06:56:10

I agree Bluebelle!

OldMeg Tue 21-Aug-18 07:02:49

Well the ship’s crew knew she had fallen, doubled back, and spend quite a time looking for her with no success.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Aug-18 07:43:01

Well not quite what the latest news is saying OldMeg They say it is impossible to fall as the cruise rails are 6 ft high and that she was drunk had had a row with her boyfriend and jumped on purpose maybe that’s journalist making hay while the sun shines but it will show more clearely exactly what happened when they have looked at CCTV I m sure
How she stayed afloat for ten hours if she was that drunk I cant imagine, it all seems extremely strange but people missed ongoing flights and cruises and it must have cost a bomb looking for her so she’s far from the heroine she was first thought to be

ginny Tue 21-Aug-18 07:52:36

I can’t see how anyone can just ‘fall’ over the railing. One would have to climb up or lean over a long way first. Methinks there is something fishy in this story.?????

Oldwoman70 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:05:26

Someone on local radio (a shipping safety officer I think) said in order to "fall" she had to be at least sitting on the rail. It was also pointed out by someone that if she fell she would have fallen straight down which would have meant she was close enough to the ship to be dragged into the propellers. IF she had jumped out it would have put her far enough away to avoid them.

I am glad she has been found safe but I do think there is more to this story than we have heard so far.

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:16:42

Apparently she leapt into the sea after a boozy argument with her boyfriend.
Wonder if she’ll get a bill for her rescue?
Another great ambassador for the UK

merlotgran Tue 21-Aug-18 08:36:03

Why blame the UK?

sodapop Tue 21-Aug-18 08:37:57

I read that Pamela it all sounded a bit strange from the outset. As you say another great British tradition upheld, getting drunk and behaving badly.

Oldwoman70 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:43:17

Right, a woman (who lives in Spain) gets drunk and behaves badly so lets trash everyone who is British!

When you think of the millions of holidays taken by the British every year it is only a small minority who behave badly - and gain publicity. You don't read about the Brits. who travel abroad and just enjoy themselves without causing trouble.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Aug-18 08:44:19

Pamela didn’t blame the UK Merlot she blamed the woman for bringing the UK into disrepute through drink yet again

Melanieeastanglia Tue 21-Aug-18 08:53:29

I am delighted to know the lady was rescued. I don't suppose we'll ever know quite how it happened as you can't always believe what you read in the press.

Somebody said she may have to pay for her rescue. I daresay there will be an investigation and it will depend on what they find.

Teetime Tue 21-Aug-18 09:05:52

I thought she might have been having a Titanic moment standing up on the rail.

DanniRae Tue 21-Aug-18 09:12:01

I'll be interested to hear the outcome of the investigations because I too feel all is not how it seems hmm

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Aug-18 09:31:21

Old woman
So so cross.
You I mean not me?
Merlot, as Bluebelle said I wasn’t blaming the U.K.

Anniebach Tue 21-Aug-18 10:23:35

Perhaps she wanted to do a Kate Winslet

Oldwoman70 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:46:03

Pamela - not cross just tired of the Brit. bashing. Is it a new past time now to denigrate anyone and anything British? You rarely hear of any other nationality doing it.

M0nica Tue 21-Aug-18 11:15:57

They now think she didn't fall, but jumped.

It seems she has a 'colourful' life and had been rowing with current boyfriend for much of the cruise. And of course she had, as the Irish say, drink taken.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 11:17:30

I thought she might have been having a Titanic moment standing up on the rail.
Perhaps she wanted to do a Kate Winslet

I thought that too - or Kate Windswept as my DC called her after 'Titanic'.

It's all very strange and doesn't seem to quite add up. She must be very strong to have kept afloat and survived for 10 hours in the water, even though it was apparently warm and, yes, appear very unfazed afterwards.

Do we await the TV appearances? Book? Film?
Or am I just very cynical

Chewbacca Tue 21-Aug-18 11:36:30

If she fell, how come she had hardly any clothes on when she was rescued? It was midnight when she went overboard but in this photo she's wearing only a pair of shorts and a bra when she was being helped aboard the rescue ship.

Photo is from news.com.au

glammanana Tue 21-Aug-18 11:42:13

Chewbacca My thoughts exactly very strange usually late at night on a cruise you would be dressed for dinner not for swimming/sunbathing.
I'm glad she was rescued but am not convinced she fell.

M0nica Tue 21-Aug-18 11:54:41

I gather there is CCTV footage. This is why they knew so precisely where to look for her, they could pinpoint the exact time she went over and the ship's exact position at that time.

merlotgran Tue 21-Aug-18 12:16:17

The boyfriend's keeping very quiet isn't he?