Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aldi expansion

(336 Posts)
Teetime Mon 01-Oct-18 13:06:44

Aldi have announced a large expansion and are about to employ a further 1000 members of staff. They aren't worried about Brexit then.

merlotgran Mon 01-Oct-18 13:42:10

Of course they're not, Teetime. If the scaremongers are correct and we all end up as poor as church mice, we'll be flocking to Aldi for our weekly shop! grin

silverlining48 Mon 01-Oct-18 13:43:27

Clearly not. Went yesterday, filled trolley £60 and that included meat, fish, fruit, veg, beers and wine. Generally good quality.
Love the middle aisle, always a surprise. If you cycle this is the week to have a look. Wont be long til ski stuff is in. Estimate Asda would have been over £100.
Interesting, while driving down through france only saw many Lidls, but we spotted one Aldi not too far from Calais.

MaizieD Mon 01-Oct-18 13:44:16

My thoughts, too, merlot. (except that I wouldn't call them 'scaremongers', I'd call them realists)

mcem Mon 01-Oct-18 13:47:35

Don't understand this apparent link between Aldi and poverty.
I shop there because food is of good quality and there is a wide range of interesting choices.
Yes Aldi provides value for money but also a well planned shop and cheerful, helpful assistants.

merlotgran Mon 01-Oct-18 13:53:34

It was a joke, mcem

I shop in Aldi every week. 30% off my weekly bill is not to be sniffed at.

silverlining48 Mon 01-Oct-18 13:56:18

So thats all of us then...no wonder they are doing so well. Best keep quiet otherwise those queues at checkout will get even longer.

suzied Mon 01-Oct-18 14:04:09

Everyone will still have to eat despite Brexit. Discount shops will be more popular than ever as prices continue to rise.

suzied Mon 01-Oct-18 14:05:01

I love Aldi and Lidl by the way. Much better than overpriced Tesco and Sainsbury's.

MaizieD Mon 01-Oct-18 14:06:41

Hmm. When I was shopping for cheap gin to make sloe gin it turned out that the Co-op's was cheaper than Aldi's. grin

The association with poverty mcem being that if you're poor you can't afford to shop anywhere but Aldi...

KatyK Mon 01-Oct-18 14:30:13

I love Aldi. Such great food, prices and friendly staff. They are doing some branded stuff now.

Pittcity Mon 01-Oct-18 15:28:20

Aldi and Lidl are fab. There are only a few things I go elsewhere for now. We use the money saved for treats!

paddyann Mon 01-Oct-18 15:31:22

theres a lot of people in my area who think Aldi is too expensive ,they buy from Iceland and Farmfoods .Of course there is a Waitrose for those at the other end of the scale .

Alima Mon 01-Oct-18 15:35:23

Oh I do hope they manage to expand as far as our little town. There isn’t an Aldi or Lidl for miles and the only supermarket needs competition.

Nonnie Mon 01-Oct-18 15:49:29

They've applied for planning permission to build one very close to our Waitrose. Should be interesting.

Teetime why do you associate this with Brexit? As someone else has said we all have to eat so, even if prices do go up and there are shortages, supermarkets will still function. Of course it could be that Aldi think Brexit will cause so much damage to our economy it will bring business to them from the more expensive shops. Sounds like good planning to me.

kittylester Mon 01-Oct-18 16:03:33

I find the choice in our Aldi quite limited and they have very little that is gluten free.

Our local store is cramped and always full of people so shopping is hard work. There is another one being built at the other side of town which I will try but I am unconvinced although DH buys wine and crisps there.

Beau Mon 01-Oct-18 16:08:17

I don't like Aldi at all, it's too stressful with all that rushing around, having to scan 1,000 items per hour does not make for an enjoyable shopping experience, all the tannoy announcements of tills opening and closing and our local one is also a very dark and dreary shop. All those imitation branded goods really annoy me too - years ago they would have been prosecuted for that.
I buy children's books in there and I have bought baby muslins and things like that but I would never eat food from there, it looks awful. Maybe we just have a horrible one here, I've never been in another. I prefer Waitrose but where I live now we have to settle for Tesco unfortunately.

sunseeker Mon 01-Oct-18 16:09:58

The last time I tried Aldi (admittedly some time ago) I found a lot of things were close to use by date - bread in particular was only 2 days from use by date. I would happily try them again but the ones "closest" to me are not in the main shopping areas and have very small car parks

Day6 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:13:33

We moved to a market town with an Aldi and Lidl not too far away. Both do great business and they have become much more upmarket in terms of shop layout and variety of goods. We save a fortune using them. I used to pop into Waitrose or Sainsburys for a few items but now wonder why I did when foodstuffs tend to be much more expensive. I think there is still a bit of a cachet/snob value to being a Waitrose shopper. Perhaps they'll manage by continuing to serve those who don't need to think too much about the cost of their groceries, but I'd be very worried they won't last long with the cheap competition everywhere.

Those who budget may use the cheaper supermarkets but their car parks tend to have an assortment of very pricey cars in them these days. The middle classes love them, and why not? Good luck to any firm which offers value for money.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:21:33

Ooh, perhaps they'll expand and come here!! smile

Interesting, while driving down through france only saw many Lidls, but we spotted one Aldi not too far from Calais.
We saw Lidl in Greece but didn't spot an Aldi. There are, however, about 500 Aldi stores in Australia.
Perhaps they prefer not to compete in some countries?

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:26:56

Day6 we use Waitrose as well as Lidl (and others) and find Waitrose reasonable if you stick to the offers. The fish is good too, as there is not much selection in our nearest Lidl.

MaizieD Mon 01-Oct-18 16:28:25

Shall I ask Gnet to move this thread to Chat? wink

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:42:26

It's News!

There was much discussion about separating News and Politics into two separate forums but the general consensus was no - perhaps you'd like to start up the discussion again MaizieD if you think it would be worth it. I'm a Yes wink

Any news on locations Teetime?

Nonnie Mon 01-Oct-18 16:48:07

I use Waitrose because of the benefits it gives me, free Sunday paper and currently 5% cash back from my bank. I am not loyal to any supermarket so usually go to the nearest on the basis that it would cost more in petrol to go to one of the others than I would save. When I am in the shop I am very careful to buy things on offer and often like the basic/economy range just as much as the branded. If we do get an Aldi I will give it a go.

MaizieD Mon 01-Oct-18 16:50:18

What's News, Jalima? The details of where you all do your shopping and how much you save?

The initial post was News.

(It wasn't a very serious comment on my part, really...)