Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emergency debate tomorrow

(105 Posts)
ayse Mon 10-Dec-18 21:21:41

Is this farce never going to end? What a mess!

Deedaa Mon 10-Dec-18 22:06:22

The ineptitude of our current MPs is beyond belief. I can't believe anyone is happy with them, no matter what side you're on

lemongrove Mon 10-Dec-18 22:12:00

I think it has been a real eye opener for all Deedaa and they will be lucky if we ever vote for them again.

maryeliza54 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:12:18

Do not the Governments fault then - no of course not

maryeliza54 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:14:10

Do =so. How on earth is it all right to blame all MPs when we have a Government?

Eloethan Tue 11-Dec-18 00:46:19

Cameron and Osborne slink off and resume their comfortable lives. May and the rest of the bunch make a complete mess of the whole thing and then start squabbling, backbiting and vying for position. I agree with maryeliza - this government is completely inept in every respect - not just Brexit. They have brought this country to its knees.

Day6 Tue 11-Dec-18 01:04:27

However, let us not forget the only serious opposition to this government is Labour, led by Corbyn, a Marxist backbencher who is anti semitic, 'friends' with most enemies of the UK, a Eurosceptic (about his only saving grace but he'll turn like the worm he is to keep his party happy and gain power) and cannot provide any argument without a script. He is backed by hard left Momentum and Marxists, and is their puppet. That is scary.

May's EU deal is disgraceful. Leave means Remain. She has betrayed us.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him? The houses of Commons and Lords are a farce.

Come the next general election I hope present day MPs are both watching their backs and running scared.

What a complete f*cking shambles. It is so bad it's frightening. These people run, or want to run, the country.

Day6 Tue 11-Dec-18 01:08:46

As for May "making a mess" of negotiations, name me a politician who could have done a better job in Brussels?

Her deal is a disgrace, but any other MP would have faced the same pressures, disloyalty and back biting, make no mistake. She had to walk into a lion's den. Imagine Corbyn with that task?

Her fortitude is admirable. Her deal is rubbish. Leave means Remain.

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 01:40:22

I've been dismayed by politicians in this country for a good few years now but cannot believe just how bad it has got. Self-serving idiots the vast majority of them. I was reading an article the other day that suggested the UK is now a false democracy, ie a democracy in little but name since our MPs do not have the faith of the electorate nor the will or ability to deliver what is voted on. I think an election manifesto should be a legally binding contract, (with provision made for acts of god, natural catastrophes etc to be allowed as exception) and we should be able to sue the blighters when they renege.

ayse Tue 11-Dec-18 06:15:17

Gransnetters, whatever their political persuasion seem able to agree that this is a complete shambles. Mushroom management is rife and piss-ups and breweries come to mind!

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 09:22:23

How would Corbyn manage if he was PM , he has to have all his questions written out and avoids interviews unless they are pre recorded

maryeliza54 Tue 11-Dec-18 09:23:51

And it’s the Tories who are the Government

maryeliza54 Tue 11-Dec-18 09:30:30

And why did they have to buy the DUP ( although much good it’s doing them)? These inept Tories called a referendum without a plan B, called an unnecessary election, have been held in contempt of Parliament( first Government ever) have pulled the vote are squabbling amongst themselves and leaking cabinet discussions and some of you are mithering about a right wing media confection of Corbyn. Just own how absolutely useless this Government is and they have done it all by themselves

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 10:02:20

Is there a hit List from May naming Tory MP’s, Corbyn has one.

There was a vote of no confidence in Corbyn , 172 to 40 , have those 172 changed their minds?

Luckygirl Tue 11-Dec-18 10:02:48

A shambles indeed. No credible government, no credible anything in parliament.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Dec-18 10:08:51

A strong opposition keeps a government on its toes and holds it to account.

Unfortunately we have not got a strong opposition, as this labour leader and the previous incumbent are/were puppets of momentum and the unions.

TM has probably little to do with the dreaded B****t negotiations, which have largely been done between civil servants from all parties. If we have a change of government, same civil servants shall be negotiating.

Nonnie Tue 11-Dec-18 10:15:40

I agree with Day6 that whoever was trying to negotiate with the EU would have come up with the same deal. I have said over and over again that it is surely the civil servants who have done the negotiating and they would be the same whoever was doing this rotten job.

If we had had a cross party group doing it we would probably have had the same result but without the squabbling.

Anja Tue 11-Dec-18 10:44:13

However, let us not forget the only serious opposition to this government is Labour, led by Corbyn, a Marxist backbencher who is anti semitic, 'friends' with most enemies of the UK, a Eurosceptic (about his only saving grace but he'll turn like the worm he is to keep his party happy and gain power) and cannot provide any argument without a script. He is backed by hard left Momentum and Marxists, and is their puppet.

While we accept this sort of propaganda there is no hope. Really what a load of right wing bullshit!

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 11:15:35

Anja not right wing bull***t, I agree with Day6, I have been a member of the Labour Party for over 50 years, so not right wing

humptydumpty Tue 11-Dec-18 11:24:12

Nevertheless it is a vitriolic rant.

Anja Tue 11-Dec-18 11:31:47

But it is obvious that the author of that post never supported Labour in her life Annie. In fact she said ‘yes, indeed’ to Britain first. I’m sure that you as an ex-labour supporter would never go that far.

And it is a vitriolic rant humptydumpty

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 11:39:54

Anja, I am still a member of the party, I am not an ex labour supporter , I have not forgotten the harm done by the far left of the party . We have a Labour Party led by a Marxist leader

Nicenanny3 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:40:05

I disagree if we'd had a Brexiter as PM instead of weak and shaky May and not offered the £39 billion upfront and stood up to them instead of giving all our crown jewels away and started preparations to Leave in earnest early on we might have got a good deal. May is weak in Brussels and a dictator at home. We should walk away now I voted to Leave not do a deal so walk away Mrs May instead of following Camerons example and getting your begging bowl out and making our great nation a laughing stock show some pride and self respect or just do us all a favour and resign.

Anja Tue 11-Dec-18 11:52:35

Annie sorry. I assumed otherwise. I will politely have to disagree that JC is Marxist. But let’s not argue but rather agree to differ ?

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 12:11:26

Yes Anja we will agree to differ