Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andy Murray

(55 Posts)
Pretzel Fri 11-Jan-19 09:43:53

Just read this: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

I'm so sad for him, but what an amazing career he's had.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Jan-19 09:58:14

I think it is sad that he has had to retire because of injuries as opposed to being ready to retire.

A credit and great ambassador for Scotland.

grapefruit Fri 11-Jan-19 10:02:38

It's moving to see him so emotional, he's often so dry. A masterful tennis play. I've always enjoyed watching him. At that level your career must define you so much that letting go or moving on must be a huge adjustment. I know it is before he is ready and that is sad, but at least it wasn't say five years earlier and well before he was due to retire.

EllieBrum Fri 11-Jan-19 10:03:50

I feel so sorry for him. The amount of effort, training and time that's gone into his career and it's over like that. sad

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 10:03:58

I am so sad for him, and for us

Nannylovesshopping Fri 11-Jan-19 10:03:59

A great shame, have always loved watching Andy, maybe he could coach or commentate, a good ambassador for the sport.

paddyann Fri 11-Jan-19 10:18:28

He has been a credit to himself ,his family and his sport.One sportsman who we can say without any doubt who has been a great role model and an inspiration to so many young players
.And he hasn't paraded his family in front of cameras for publicity.I'm very sorry to see him go but given the facts and that theres no doubt he'll work with others to improve tennis , he deserves to retire with his head held high .

Caledonai14 Fri 11-Jan-19 10:35:08

I hope we can find a way of honouring Andy at Wimbledon, whether or not he plays there this year. A double gold and silver Olympian, the man who got Britain to the Davies Cup and three grand slams in a time when there are so many other tennis greats playing. He can't be faulted for all of his efforts to get back to the top of the game. The personal cost recently must be very high and I hope he can now get a bit of time to enjoy the earned privileges of wealth and fame he so thoroughly deserves. Billie Jean King has apparently said some really nice things about his legacy and predicted that the best may yet be to come. Wow.

Alima Fri 11-Jan-19 11:08:26

So very sad to read that Andy Murray may have to retire. He has been a wonderful ambassador for Scottish tennis. Good luck Andy, thank you for making British tennis great again.

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 11:08:59

He has had wonderful tributes , Billie Jean King spoke of his support for equality.

henetha Fri 11-Jan-19 11:13:11

Andy really put the heart back into British tennis, didn't he.
He's a fantastic player and a thoroughly decent man.
I shall miss him, and fervently hope that he finds a career, in tennis or whatever, that fulfils him.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Jan-19 11:13:18

It was so sad to see him totally distraught on the news this am. Not the way one would want to end such an illustrious career.

Labaik Fri 11-Jan-19 11:23:18

The highlight of his career, for me, at least, was when he won at the Olympics. I often wonder if that was what tipped his body 'over the edge'. I hope he realises what a national treasure he has become, but it's very difficult for any sportsperson to give up when they're not mentally ready to do so, especially as it sounds as if he is in constant pain with his hip.

dragonfly46 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:08:56

Just watched Andy Murray on the news. How sad to see him so upset. He has achieved so much on and off the court.
Certainly a man to be admired.

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Jan-19 13:09:05

This is very sad news, but I did wonder how much longer he could carry on when I read that he said he is still in pain from his hip even when walking.

We don't know for sure exactly what form his operation took, but I suppose he would have gone for the least invasive procedure.

I and my family saw him win Olympic gold at Wimbledon and the atmosphere and support for him was amazing.

As others have said, he has been great for British tennis, and an inspiration for youngsters taking up the sport.

I do hope he will still compete at Wimbledon this year, but of course it all depends how he gets on in Australia.

Grannybags Fri 11-Jan-19 13:14:46

Awful to watch the TV interview and see him so upset. I'm sure he would have won another Grand Slam had he been able to carry on.

merlotgran Fri 11-Jan-19 13:15:46

Sorry but I don't think there needs to be so much fuss. Yes, he's the best tennis player we've ever had and has achieved what seemed to be the impossible but he's not the first sportsman to have to retire through injury and with millions in the bank and a knighthood, he's better off than most.

There will be loads of career opportunities for him so I wish he'd stop blubbing and count his blessings.

Grammaretto Fri 11-Jan-19 13:17:36

He has been a fantastic ambassador for Scotland. The day he won the Wimbledon final I rushed into the house as the washing machine shook so much that a wall cupboard with glasses and bottles crashed onto the kitchen floot. I ignored the chaos and rushed to watch the match. C'mon Andy!!!
Seriously though. He shouldn't be suffering so much pain. Maybe he will coach. I can't see him commentating really.

Parsley3 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:25:17

I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping that Andy, like Rafa Nadal, would be able to come back to form after his injury. Sadly, it looks like this is not to be. I have become a tennis fan thanks to Andy and it won’t be the same without him.

Cherrytree59 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:28:49

So sad but Andy has acheived so much and will go down in sporting history.

In the future I hope he will become a great Tennis coach as he has so much to offer ?

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Jan-19 13:31:34

Nobody is making a fuss merlotgran, not on here certainly, and not Andy himself.

We are all just expressing our sorrow that such a wonderful sportsman, and ambassador for tennis is having premature retirement forced on him , when, I am sure, he had hoped that the operation would sort out his hip and enable him to continue for a few more years.

paddyann Fri 11-Jan-19 13:59:50

I dont think his Tennis was ever about the money or the Knighthood,though I did hear his wife was the one who was keen on that .He played tennis because he loved it.Most people dont do things they love just for the money .

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 14:05:45

merlot not everyone puts money above all else, he may have career prospects but he has a passion for tennis . He may in the future be a successful coach but his love for playing the game is so strong.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Jan-19 14:15:43

There will be a career for him in tennis - training or commentating or whatever. And hopefully he will be able to enjoy his family.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Jan-19 14:44:00

He must feel soul-destroyed by his decision. It's a hard blow like someone telling you that you're not fit for the job.
I felt like crying with him. It'll take a while before he gets over it and to come to terms that he'll never play in tournaments again.