Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can this government really continue?

(204 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Jan-19 11:32:18

Is there anyone out there who can really still support this government? It bought the DUP to keep it in power, it has been defeated in the House of Commons in spite of that and its policy of Universal credit has just been thrown out of court because of the way it treats people. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/11/four-single-mothers-win-high-court-benefits-battle-against-dwp-universal-credit?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR1gx3cqrJ5ailab45F4KiBlYqm1SWMSu6gABIRw_2vGheNkA8y1gqGQ6-Y
Surely they have to GO NOW!!!

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 11:56:15

I can’t support this government or the alternative

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:59:28

Me neither.
And my vote last time was wasted and probably would be next time, so I don't know what the answer is.

Nonnie Sat 12-Jan-19 11:59:31

A plague on all their houses.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:00:38

well, I do know what the answer is but that is not in my power.

notanan2 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:10:38

Ordinarily, no they're awful. But right now the alternatives are worse so yes I HAVE to support them

EllanVannin Sat 12-Jan-19 12:19:35

The answer to the above thread is a positive NO !

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:34:27

Unfortunately as Labour in now well and truly in the clutches of momentum with Corbyn as leader there is no credible alternative to the Conservatives at the moment.

So yes I support our Government.

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 12:37:23

I do have respect for May, not a scrap of respect for Corbyn.

May will not be leader at the next election, who will it be?

I want .labour to return to centre left, no way can I vote for Corbyn and if he stood down Momentum and McClusky would replace him with another of the far left .

trisher Sat 12-Jan-19 12:46:58

There are no far left policies in the manifesto, just in people's heads!

Alima Sat 12-Jan-19 12:52:43

Maybe they are too well aware that putting far left policies in the manifesto would be the kiss of death.
Re the opening question, yes, they have to continue as there is no alternative.

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 12:54:58

trisher heads that believe everything they are sold and cannot filter for themselves.

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 12:59:52

The Tories will stumble along and bring the country completely to its knees. So far they’ve ‘only’ managed to upset those who care about Education, the NHS, the police, care for the elderly and the vulnerable.

Now they are lined up to destroy small businesses and some big ones too.

Those who don’t give a s**t about any of the above are quite happy to wait until it actually hurts them..... then watch them squeal ?

notanan2 Sat 12-Jan-19 13:05:22

It is because I care about the NHS that I dont want labour to get their wasteful disorganised mitts on it again. They are the ones that set it up to fail, ripe for privatisation. They ran it into the ground with wastefulness so that it looked unsustainable when the Tories inherited it back from them

paddyann Sat 12-Jan-19 13:17:44

what a lot of rubbish notanan with due respect of course.Labour ...and I'm not a supporter of that party...made a huge difference in the NHS while they were in power.Credit where its due.The fiasco that is the current government have caused more problems than any in modern history .They have also borrowed MORE money than ALL labour governments put together ...ever.
It beggars belief that people STILL think the toreis are interested in saving the NHS ,it'll be part of the package to get trade deals . You know the trade deals that would be so easy to get?Watch this space.

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 13:32:58

Yes, what on earth are you on about notanan? You are quite clearly misinformed. Labour brought waiting times for operations and A&E right down.

They certainly did not run it into the ground and they also invested in education.

paddyann is correct too about debt.

Blimey makes you think, is universal franchise really working!

notanan2 Sat 12-Jan-19 13:37:03

Their approach to investment was like a scatter gun

So much of what they invested in was either unrealistic in the first place or badly implemented and later abandoned so it was just money down the drain, so after labours last term the NHSs "books" were a mess and it looked like terrible inefficient value for money.

"Waaa people who dont vote labour dont care..."
Nope. We DO care. A lot. Thats why we dont want labour anywhere near anything that matters. Its the plolitical equivalent of teaching a toddler to use the family credit card then setting them loose.

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 13:47:34

Their manifesto trisher all governments carry through their manifesto? No

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 13:47:46

With respect notanan you don’t know what you are talking about. Just spouting the usual propaganda and generalisations without any examples. So easy just to accuse without quoting specific examples.

Likewise so easy to insist you ‘care’ when you are not affected directly. What percentage of NHS staff, nurses , doctors, teachers and headteachers, police, social workers, home care assistants, students with massive debts think this government is anything but a joke.

trisher Sat 12-Jan-19 13:51:20

I suppose that's why notanan you support a party that implemented a top down reform of the NHS that nobody wanted
This government’s management of the NHS is a stunning example of how not to do things. Letwin and Lansley’s roadmap is leading to the complete privatisation of the NHS. The first full year of the Health and Social Care Act as a bumper year for multinationals and their lawyers and accountants. A majority of new contracts to provide NHS services went to private companies.

Few realise the extent of the rot, as most of these private companies hide behind the NHS logo whilst siphoning off a profit. Collectively, such providers received more than £10bn from the public coffers in 2013. And according to the Financial Times, around £5.8bn of NHS work is currently being advertised to the private sector, a 14% increase on a year earlier. In the past two years, £11bn worth of our NHS has been put up for sale.
And these are the people you think are safe to care for our NHS? I think not.
You can read the whole account here
www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/kailash-chand/“nhs-reforms-our-worst-mistake-coming-from-tories-this-is-too-little-too-late

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 13:55:07

Nice piece of factual posting trisher

notanan2 Sat 12-Jan-19 13:59:11

With respect notanan you don’t know what you are talking about. Just spouting the usual propaganda and generalisations without any examples. So easy just to accuse without quoting specific examples.
A lot of my examples are from my first hand experience, so would be outing

Likewise so easy to insist you ‘care’ when you are not affected directly
What on earth are you on about? I am affected directly which is why I won't vote labour

Day6 Sat 12-Jan-19 14:06:05

I have my doubts, but the turmoil IS around the Brexit deal.

I have a strong suspicion May will push a soft Brexit through, which will anger millions of people, and from that betrayal, the Conservatives will be doomed, by their own supporters and the many who wanted to cut ties with the EU.

They are the architects of their own demise.

Being stuck with EU conditions, plus paying billions for continued membership is a deplorable outcome.

However, a Labour (Marxist) government is not the solution.It is the only alternative though, (who else would get in if there were a general election?) which is terrifying. Corbyn is not in favour of the EU but seems to blow with every single wind and ditch his principles if he smells power.

We are in a dreadful position politically. The only way to quell all unrest is to go with a no deal - because Brexit WAS the government's mandate - cut ties with Brussels, and start trading under WTO regs, which the EU has been doing anyway.

It is not "crashing out" as Remainers would have us believe.

May has to get this right or the Conservative party might as well fold now. We'll be stuck with a Marxist government if she betrays the UK.

She has us between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

notanan2 Sat 12-Jan-19 14:06:56

Anja you are playing Labour supporter bingo.

I.e. if anyone doesn't heart labour just assume that means that they heart the Torys and must be too privilidged to ever need welfare/NHS/state eduction etc

Full house!

Doesnt matter if none of that is true. Just keep telling yourself that everyone who isnt a Tory toff with their own tax haven island and private healthcare, will keep voting labour by the default of them not being the Cons....
..... you'll be wrong though. A lot of public sector workers in particular who worked through labours last term will never vote labour again.

A lot of people on low incomes and welfare hate labour.

Labour can't coast on being the "not toffs" any longer.

Luckygirl Sat 12-Jan-19 14:08:43

This government surely cannot survive much longer. They only hung on by bribing the DUP, and now that they cannot rely on their votes (but the DUP get to keep the dosh of course!) or those of their own backbenchers (and more!) they cannot hold out much longer.

I am not afraid of the alternative - it is far from ideal, but we cannot allow this country's public services to continue to be held to ransom by the narrow doctrine of private capital above all.

I do not think that Labour will continue down the far left track; I think that a variety of views will eventually prevail if a general election looms on the horizon. At least the labour party have a consensus on ending clobbering the poor and that has to be a good thing.

It is very creepy the way the Tories have manipulated the system to keep themselves in power. And used OUR money to achieve this.

But, from my point of view, I might just as well not vote, as my vote is completely wasted in this constituency. Failing PR, if only Labour and Lib Dem would have the wit to field one candidate between them in this area then the ancient Tory would be out on his ear. But they plough on as if they are unable to work this out. Pitiful.