Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(223 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 18:12:06

Is she OK? Has she lost the plot? Is she crazy?

Honestly - I am beginning to wonder if she is unhinged.

She just bashes on saying the same things over and over again; and makes no attempt to listen and seek a new direction.

I really do think she has to go now - she has made such a mess of these negotiations, but she just ploughs on regardless, talking to her colleagues as if they are naughty children. It really is beyond belief.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 18:19:05

I do know it is not acceptable to cast aspersions at those with MH problems, but I think we have to make an exception in her case. She has completely lost the plot. Blinkered. Bonkers. "My way or the highway". "Why doesn't everyone else compromise (but not me)?". This woman is Prime Minister. That is quite seriously dangerous for our country and so she has to go.

jura2 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:20:46

Agreed- but my massive worry (see other thread) is who would take over from her- one of ERG hell bent on chucking us into a disastrous No Deal.

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 18:21:59

Boris is waiting in the wings

Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 18:28:34

It would be good if some elder statesman with real experience like Ken Clarke could take her on one side and have a quiet word with her. It is indeed true that the alternatives to her do not fill one with joy, but can she really be allowed to plough on in this fashion.

Mental illness is indeed not something to joke about, and would never do so, but we cannot have a leader who seems unable top behave in a logical fashion.

Sorry - I seem to have started another thread unwittingly - I apologise - I will ad my original comment to the existing thread and we can let this die.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 18:29:51

But having looked at that thread it seems to have descended below Gransnet standards!

jura2 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:31:08

Annie- how would you feel about Boris taking over? Or Rees-Mogg- or any of the ERG? Do you think it would be a good thing?

EllanVannin Wed 20-Mar-19 18:48:44

She'll have to be careful that she doesn't have a stroke with having diabetes and all the stress she's under. I wouldn't be doing her job if I had such problems.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:53:42

My money is on Jeremy Hunt as the least worst. What will be interesting is the shenanigans to get to the final two. Then it’s in the hands of what about 100k members? That makes me feel so safe and reassured

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:54:36

No money from me on BJ or JRM

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 18:56:20

Why should we subjected to the least worst PM or the least worst brexit?

Just revoke Article 50 and keep the very best deal with the EU we could ever have.

sylviemc Wed 20-Mar-19 19:01:44

She has all the hallmarks of a serious personality problem though hasn't she, so she is entirely consistent with herself. It seems to me that she is trying to emulate thatcher but since that woman was a nightmare she is also a nightmare, but she lacks logic consistency emotional intelligence, sensitivity - has no ability to listen or to communicate with anyone and her need to be right and to be the centre of attention seems more important than any human compassion at all

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 19:04:29

Theresa May hints she’ll quit if no Brexit by end of June

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/theresa-may-hints-shell-quit-if-no-brexit-by-end-of-june/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Evening%20_Blend_20190320&utm_campaign=Evening_Blend

Day6 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:22:37

her need to be right and to be the centre of attention seems more important than any human compassion at all

I have worked with people like her. I disagree with your above statement sylvieme.

I see a woman who has been landed with the worst job in politics for years and years. To deliver Brexit. To get us out of the EU. I cannot think of one politician who vowed to honour the referendum having an easier or smoother ride.

She is a Conservative, so it's up to the opposition to sneer, make the task as difficult as possible and criticise, which they have done from the off. Not only that, she has a parliament full of Remainers who don't want Brexit. They are batting for the EU, for Brussels. They want the UK to stay in the EU - so no easy passage their either.

She also has members of her party anting her to take a different approach, and other members wanting to Remain.

No matter what Theresa May does, she cannot make everyone happy with the negotiations or the outcome.

Can you imagine what negotiations would have been like with Corbyn in charge?

I have worked with women like TM. They are industrious, determined and steadfast, even when times are grim. She has been bombarded with negativity from the outset but she sails on. She doesn't look to ally herself with anyone - the challenge is hers to manage and Brexit is hers to deliver. She has had an unfortunate term of office, a more difficult time than any Prime Minister in my lifetime, and I would bet very few MPs would want the task.

They'll let her take the flak from the comfort of their cosy corners/bars at Westminster.

I wish she hadn't been set on a path of negotiation. I think I am right in saying LEAVE (the EU) was what the majority wanted, not a deal with Brussels. I dislike her deal, which is likely to be the only one the EU offer now.

She is many things but I suspect I am not the only one who has respect for her conduct, capacity to engage in such a huge undertaking and her strength in going the course so far, given all around her people are wanting different things for the UK.

I bet once the door is closed when she gets home she wants to scream and tell her detractors just where to go.

She cannot win, but she certainly isn't about to throw in the towel.

I salute her (though I dislike her deal.)

Cosmos Wed 20-Mar-19 19:30:25

How is she supposed to deliver what the public voted for, when she is blocked at every turn. It wasn't her decision to leave, she is following the will of the majority of voters. It is a shame only one side can win, but you can't please anyone.ma bit like banning sports in school because there cannot be a loser.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 19:41:50

Why has she blocked all the investigations into the illegal activities of the leave campaign?

lemongrove Wed 20-Mar-19 20:12:32

Great post Day6
What a shower in Parliament.

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 20:37:50

Well said Day6

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 20:46:04

Did you see TM's statement? What pathetic charade. She knows nothing about what the British people want. We want to Remain in the EU.

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 20:50:10

Really varian you know this to be true ?, the British people want to remain? Or some British people want to remain?

Nicenanny3 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:50:21

Oh is that why we voted to leave, who knew.

Labaik Wed 20-Mar-19 20:50:31

I waited all night to hear what she had to say. What a waste of time.

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:52:44

No we don’t varian.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 20:53:18

All the opinion polls for the last eighteen months have showed a Remain majority

Alima Wed 20-Mar-19 20:53:40

Totally agree Day6, excellent post. varian you are wrong. I am British and don’t want to remain in the EU. I’ll go with her deal, it is the best on offer. Better than no deal maybe.