Gransnet forums

News & politics

What do we think of Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party?

(1000 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 13-Apr-19 09:17:01

Whatever side of the debate you’re on he is very watchable.

I wonder how they’ll do in the elections ( if we have them )

Tuppnce Sat 13-Apr-19 09:21:26

Watchable?
A matter of opinion (and definitely not mine)
hmmhmm

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 09:28:05

If you are talking about EU elections, I hope enough people will have the sense to see that voting for that party's candidates is not going to provide what we are supposed to be voting for: people to represent us in the EU.

Presumably their only aim in getting elected as MEPs would be to cause maximum chaos in the EU. That certainly can't be in our best interests either short term or long term!

TwiceAsNice Sat 13-Apr-19 09:29:02

Nigel Farage is an idiot and an arrogant opportunist. He can’t run a political party( he tried once it was a disaster) I wouldn’t vote for him if he was the last candidate or Corbyn either

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:43:31

He has stood for Westminster 8 times and has failed.

He has admitted to his new party having no policies.

His “fear of God “ speech was an outrage.

He is disparaging of career politicians - and that from someone who has spent years on a monthly salary of £6500, occasionally attending a parliament where his contributions to debate are negative and disruptive.

He was fined £35500 for corruption, as a result of misusing tax payers money for his own ends.

His new party has already attracted racists. Two of which have had to resign from the party even before Nige relaunched himself.

What’s not to like about Nige? ???

eazybee Sat 13-Apr-19 09:45:57

Farage talks sense but he seems unable to deliver, and his party attracts a collection of oddballs.
I still think he would have made a good MP, but the Conservative party is excellent at briefing against people it considers won't conform, (to Civil Service standards), which is why it ends up with a series of mediocre 'leaders' it can manipulate.

jura2 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:58:58

Watchable is very debatable !?!

www.facebook.com/www.JOE.co.uk/videos/537388036798161/

Craicon Sat 13-Apr-19 10:00:58

Brexit Party. I think it’s pure genius. party

FPTP system in the Euro elections.
Split the Tory voters amongst all the far right racist numpties standing and none of them will get in. grin

KatyK Sat 13-Apr-19 10:02:03

I find him very patronising. He takes every opportunity to be photographed with a pint of beer - look I'm just like you. I drink pints

Kandinsky Sat 13-Apr-19 10:08:51

Farage talks sense but he seems unable to deliver

If it wasn’t for Farage I very much doubt we’d be leaving the EU!

Callistemon Sat 13-Apr-19 10:14:00

Watchable
Well, he's had his hair cut

I don't understand being intolerant of intolerance - surely that is a paradox?

jura2 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:16:43

Firstly, it would be good to know who Farage really stands for- but he makes sure no-one finds out. Carol Cadwalladr has been trying for a long time- but he is very very slippery:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/why-wont-nigel-farage-answer-my-brexit-questions?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3fg5a1d8svdPVI5ngFln3FmwcsgvyPt7cPahoDPhscY_jGdb-S3qaSmrs

Urmstongran Sat 13-Apr-19 10:29:39

I've seen and heard lots of sniping, mockery and derogatory comments towards this man but underestimate him at your peril. He's back and he means business.
?

Framilode Sat 13-Apr-19 10:37:12

He's a charlatan and appeals to the lowest common denominator.

crystaltipps Sat 13-Apr-19 10:42:09

I’d like to know what is the difference between this party and UKIP and why he had to start a new one.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:44:05

craicon the EU elections are not FPTP.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:44:06

Craicon FPTP system in the Euro elections.

In England, Scotland and Wales the voting system for the European elections is the d'Hondt system of proportional representation - regional closed list. In Northern Ireland the system is Single Transferable Vote.

The issue the "Brexit Party" will have is that its vote will be split with any other pro-Brexit party and spread - possibly thinly - over the country. I imagine they may get some seats but I would also imagine that there will be a great deal of support for any Pro EU parties - even if people wouldn't vote for them in a General Election.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:44:45

Snap Whitwave smile

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:45:46

?? I am supposed to be gardening. Just come in for coffee.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:08:44

Whatever side of the debate you’re on he is very watchable. (*Kandinsky*)

It's really fascinating when people make remarks like this. How can anyone be so unaware that theirs is so very far from mainstream opinion? There is actually a name for this. It is called the "false-consensus" effect or "false-consensus bias". It happens because people tend to overestimate the extent to which their opinion, beliefs, preferences, values and habits are normal and typical of others. Such a cognative bias lead to a "false consensus".

I would guess that about 10 to 20% of the country would find Farage "watchable". I realise I too will be unconsciously biased, but I am aware of this and trying to take it into account - that's why I would go up to 20%. My biased opinion would be that no one in there right mind would watch this man.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:09:27

It must be that time Whitewave. I had just sat down with one too.

Firecracker123 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:14:44

I think the usual bunch of Remoaners on here underestimate Nigel Farage he's got a lot of support 17.4 million leavers for a start who are very angry with Conservatives and Labour for trying to stop us leaving the EU. Yes underestimate him at your peril.

Kandinsky Sat 13-Apr-19 11:18:19

GracesGranMK3

Remainers & left wingers are obsessed with Farage, they watch his every move more than his supporters do.

But yes, I listen to him, if he comes on the TV or radio I stop & listen.
I suppose in the same way as you stop & listen to a high profile remainer.

mostlyharmless Sat 13-Apr-19 11:41:00

firecracker why do you think Farage has got the support of 17 million Leave voters? That referendum vote was nearly three years ago. Leave voters wouldn’t all support Farage anyway. He’s Marmite.

Conservatives Online had a poll of members this week with 90k responses. Only 45% of those supported a hard Brexit. 55% wanted Remain or a deal.

crystaltipps Sat 13-Apr-19 11:50:02

This 17.4 million figure is not static, some have died, new electorate, some didn’t vote, the population of the U.K. is some 60million, so to claim most people support Farage or whatever is blatantly not true. I switch off when he comes on he reminds me of Homer Simpson, can’t understand why this hypocrite gets so much airtime, when similar sized parties don’t get a mention , for example the Greens don’t get anything like the coverage and they’ve got an MP and a proper manifesto.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion