Gransnet forums

News & politics

Visit of Trump

(314 Posts)
maddyone Tue 23-Apr-19 23:43:50

Well Trump has been invited by those at Buckingham Palace to come to Britain for an official state visit. So we can all forget about Brexit, and stop wringing our hands in dismay at Farage and his antics, and we can turn our attention towards a new fashion, hating Trump.

Discuss.

paddyann Wed 24-Apr-19 00:05:54

I dont HATE Trump.he scares the wits out of me,this man who cant string a sentence together has his finger on the nuclear button.WHY is what i want to know ? The man is clearly deranged or has early dementia .

maddyone Wed 24-Apr-19 00:25:48

You’re probably right on that paddy.

janipat Wed 24-Apr-19 00:55:52

If it was only dementia it wouldn't be so bad, but the man is an habitual liar, egotist, racist, misogynist and climate change denier. Beautiful clean coal anyone? He is so deluded that he thinks if he says it, it will be accepted as gospel, even if it's the exact opposite of what he was captured on video saying. It's frightening that so many Americans are completely sucked in by him.

janipat Wed 24-Apr-19 00:57:30

* saying the day before.

Nannytopsy Wed 24-Apr-19 03:37:39

I hope to protest this time in London. Any witty sayings for my placard please?

absent Wed 24-Apr-19 04:50:39

I don't think you can blame Buckingham Palace. I think the invitation comes from Number 10 in the first place and HM has no choice in the matter. She has to put up with it but other members of the Royal Family can decide to have nothing to do with him. I wouldn't blame any of them for absenting themselves, especially the Prince of Wales after Trump's frat-boy comments about his late wife and the instructions about "not allowing" the P of W to talk about climate change and ecology before the previous (aborted) planned state visit. I doubt if he'll get to ride in a golden coach up the mall – a reported earnest desire of Trump's – because said coach is an extremely uncomfortable ride and HM is getting on in years. It's probably too great a security risk too.

Nannytopsy Wed 24-Apr-19 06:33:23

Security risk? Send him down the Mall in it in splendid, egotistical isolation!! grin

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 06:52:15

Oh no! I have my American BiL and nephew staying during his visit. They are both Trump fans and I’d hoped to avoid any mention of the Moron. Now it won’t be possible. Perhaps it might be an eye opener for them if they see the reaction to him in the UK and in the media.

absent Wed 24-Apr-19 07:10:05

Anja I suspect that your brother-in-law and nephew will be somewhat surprised.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 07:12:50

absenr I’ll certainly be interested to watch their reactions.

M0nica Wed 24-Apr-19 07:24:42

He will get his ride up the Mall, they have said that will happen, but no golden coach. He will be in an ordinary open landau. A bit like a tumbril and probably equally uncomfortable.

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:28:18

I just cannot understand how 'Trump fans' exist!
Send him down the Mall. Let the great British public show what they think of him. (Keep the Queen in a separate car though, don't want to get her covered in rotten eggs and worse!)

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:31:49

Hating Trump - or more accurately everything he stands for, is not a new fashion at all maddy. Where have you been ? Do I take it from your comment that you’re a Trump admirer?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:41:16

Whether we like him or not he is the POTUS, and it is that "office" which is getting the state visit. DT just happens to be the present incumbent.

There have been State visits afforded to far worse over the years....... King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia (2007), Vladimir Putin (2003), Chinese President Xi Jinping (2015) to name but a few.

I am not a DT supporter by the way, but he did get elected on a controversial manifesto and he has and is continuing to follow these things through.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 07:43:14

That wasn’t an election GG13 it was an intelligence test.

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:53:13

Anja grin

Beckett Wed 24-Apr-19 07:55:08

It would appear that most people in UK don't support Trump (he scares me witless!) but whilst it is unfortunate the American people have chosen such a man to represent them as GG13 has said it is the office of President that has been invited.

We can object to his policies, we can demonstrate against him personally but we should respect the position of President.

Sara65 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:56:26

I think we were all beyond amazed when he was elected, and beyond amazed that he’s still in office.
How does a man with his vile opinions manage to have such a vast following? It’s beyond me!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:59:33

It is May that decides, and as is usual she has cocked it up.

He’s been invited over D-Day anniversary. The great Orange one could attend I suppose, but I wouldn’t be too sure that the great Orange baby wasn’t floating around somewhere in sight.

kittylester Wed 24-Apr-19 08:07:41

But, as gg13 says, he is the POTUS so we have no choice.

What is interesting is whether he will be allowed to address the HoC. John Berciw deserves a whole other thread.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 08:09:12

Well I’m out of step with everyone here. I wasn’t surprised DT got voted in. A lot of people say one thing for fear of ridicule or harassment then do the other in the quiet of the ballot box.

I think the same happened here with the referendum which is why the pollsters got it wrong - people said what the pollsters wanted to hear and did the other.

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 08:15:33

We could line the Mall with mooning Grans?
Trump is profoundly unworthy of any respect.

MaizieD Wed 24-Apr-19 08:32:29

I don't think it has anything to do with honouring the 'office' of POTUS. It has everything to do with May desperately wanting to keep him on side because a trade deal with the US is supposed to compensate for everything we'll lose post Brexit. We invite unpleasant leaders here because we want something from them, not for the pleasure of their company.

Just to remind you that it was Hillary Clinton who won the popular vote by 3 million votes; it was the weird Electoral College system that gave Trump the Presidency.

He hasn't started WW3, for which we have to be grateful I suppose, and his term of office only has 18 months or so to run. I wonder if he'll be re-elected?

Elegran Wed 24-Apr-19 08:38:10

Jane He would think we all found him so irresistably attractive that we were bending over forwards not backwards for him.