Gransnet forums

News & politics

Project Fear

(63 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:15:43

These are some of the companies who are falsely reporting issues with Brexit and who are moving entirely or partially.

How very dare they spread Project Fear! We always knew it would never be true. In fact this very post is Project Fear!!?

Barclays
Dyson
HondHSBC
Lloyd’s of London
Money gram
P&
Toyota
Jaguar
Airbus
Avila
American Bank of Merrill Lynch
Credit Suisse
Ford
Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
Michelin
Nissan
Panasonic
Philips
Rolls Royce
Schaeffler
Sony
Toyota
UBS
Unilever

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:19:44

How much have you as an individual contributed to brexit so far?

£1000
or £66bn in total

GDP has been slashed by 3% to date.

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 08:20:46

I read it was less Brexit and more the fear of Corbyn & McDonnell in No 10 soon.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:23:12

It is depressingly easy to add to the above list as companies flee what they see as a failing country

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:26:09

urmston?? such naivety. You need to read more critically.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:44:39

Expected results of Brexit . The Telegraph is not amused. Those Frenchies never play fair

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/15/emmanuel-macron-infuriates-nato-allies-freezing-uk-firms-eu/?WT.mcid=tmgshare_tw

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 09:51:44

Inward investment by sovereign wealth funds

2017 £21bn
2018 £1.8bn

crystaltipps Thu 16-May-19 10:11:07

Brexit uncertainty is real, whereas “fear of Corbyn” is hypothetical- fence sitting doesn’t win votes, so he isn’t going to get his mitts on power anytime soon. Billions of assets are leaving the U.K., much of it unreported- Completely due to the Brexit effect.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 10:17:58

What I find so bewildering is that all this was argued before the referendum, but leave voters chose not to believe it, instead believing the catchy phrase adopted by those most likely to benefit from Brexit.

The psychology of this phenomenon will be studied for years.

Jabberwok Thu 16-May-19 10:21:11

Rubbish!! A Corbyn led government holds far more fears for business than Brexit does, and is increasingly more likely as the next GE approaches. Companies need to and are wisely making preparations for that probable event well in advance.

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 10:57:32

Please don’t be so superior Whitewave just because different viewpoints don’t suit your narrative.

My reading of current affairs and politics is from a broad spectrum thank you!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 11:35:56

OK

My information came from

Business Insider
Edition CNN
Wales on line
The Independent
Conference Call
Ready for Brexit
The Guardian

Those are just some publications providing 5he evidence

If you wish I can provide more academic studies saying exactly the same things.

With regard to a possible Corbyn government

There has been reports that the very wealthy are preparing to move their wealth off shore in the event of a Corbyn government.

There are also reports that businesses are worried about a Corbyn government.

I can find no actual evidence of businesses having left because of Corbyn, or investment ceasing.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 11:57:09

Jabberwok Quote [ Rubbish!! A Corbyn led government holds far more fears for business than Brexit does, and is increasingly more likely as the next GE approaches.] End Quote

Jabberwok, surely you must be joking in your above post.

In that, when a leading member of the Conservative party, that being Boris (The Buffon) Johnson, states that Business can "f**k off" when it comes to Britain's exit from the European Union, never again will the Tory party be able to claim they speak for Business.

What a shambles that man and the party he represents are.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 12:01:56

Apologies, I forgot to place link in my above post. :-
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-44618154

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-May-19 12:06:08

Some people (naming no names but we all know who they are) are determined to stuff their views down the throats of leavers, calling us naive and unread.
You are not superior.
Your views are not leavers views.
Your diatribes are boring.
Anything we need to clarify, we can find out for ourselves.
The amount of time you must spend digging out links, lists of companies and all the tripe posted daily which is meant to show leavers the folly of their ways, shows that you have nothing better to do.
What a way to exist live. grin

JenniferEccles Thu 16-May-19 12:08:20

How many times does it need to be said.....

We are NOT a failing country.

I just find all this negativity from some so depressing.

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 12:09:55

As the owner of a small business and a remain voter. I am now much more afraid of JC getting into power than leaving the EU (which scares the hell out of most small businesses).

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 12:21:38

GabriellaG54, in regard to us remain supporters having nothing else to do but search out links etc, can I state that in my own case that I worked in our offices until 9pm last night and similar the previous evening.

I came in again at around 10am this morning, but now have some spare time due to an industrial accident case we were involved in on the employers side being settled prior to the court hearing.

So, it is perhaps Brexit supporting people who look to the no policies, no answers one man Farage Party who have all the time on their hands and still cannot address posts in any considered manner.

Beammeupscottie Thu 16-May-19 12:35:21

As a lifelong Tory (except for Tony Blair) I do not fear a Corbyn Government as much as I fear Brexit.
However, and correct me if I am wrong, Brexit looks like something with a terminal illness with the end for it looming on the horizon.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 12:38:55

gillybob, we have always been told prior to any General Election that Businesses will leave the UK in their droves if a Labour Government is elected.

Doubtless, our business and yours will still be trading in Britain after the election of a Labour government. In that, I also started this business in 2003 under a Labour government, and we are still trading and very much grown. However, with all the Brexit uncertainties created by this useless conservative government, we have been engaged huge amounts of work in recent months with so many companies opening additional warehouse facilities etc for stockpiling.

All of which will have to be paid for by the British consumer.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 12:42:18

gillybob we also fear a JC (momentum) led Government more so than Brexit.

If his "hairbrained" scheme to put sixteen year old apprentices on the same "living wage" as a qualified worker, surely it doesn't take a lot of brainpower to realise that small businesses will no longer take on apprentices.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 13:03:36

GrannyGravy13, of course business like ours will still employ Trainees and Apprentices should their minimum wage rate increase under legislation. In that, the legislation will be the same for all in business and therefore fair to all.

Many young people are having a difficult time at present with not being able to get on the property ladder etc. Therefore if you increase the wealth of that section of society, it eventually feeds through to the benefit of all society as they then spend that extra wealth.

When the minimum wage was being brought in, we were told thousands of jobs would be lost, instead, thousands of additional jobs were created as people spent that extra money.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 13:09:35

Grandad can you honestly say that a qualified person in your business would be happy to earn the same as an apprentice?

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 13:17:36

I have already vowed I will never take another apprentice GrannyGravy.

This is yet another one of JC's crazy and ill thought out ideas and a bribe to win younger votes (and it is a bribe there's no other way of looking at it). It will make all companies large and small think very hard before taking on a young inexperienced person.

We have had a few apprentices over the years, a couple who were very good and have gone onto great things and one ( the most recent and the nail in the coffin) who almost drove me and DH to distraction . None have stayed with us after qualifying as we cannot compete with the wages offered by the likes of Nissan and the grass is always greener (or is it?) although one did ask to come back but we refused.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 13:19:27

gillybob ditto to your post.