Gransnet forums

News & politics

What on Earth

(64 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 15:40:07

So I see Anne Widecome was cheered by former miners in the north at a working mans club.

Yes seriously it’s true grin

EllanVannin Sun 19-May-19 15:57:55

Are you sure it was cheered and not jeered ? Hahahaha

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 16:11:53

No cheered just go onto u tube it Twitter!

So Margaret Hodge telling people to vote Lib Dem! Hesteltine not voting Tory!

Labout in recent polls are 5th in the polls in Scotland!

Couldn’t make it up!

Wobbles Sun 19-May-19 18:00:17

It's like living in a parallel universe confused

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 18:05:50

She's just pressing their buttons. Working the crowd with nothing of substance to say.

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 18:13:03

beggars belief sad

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 18:19:20

It is just bloody strange grin

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 18:52:05

Mmmm Maizie that’s a bit patronising isn’t it?

Northern working class men are not stupid.

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 20:19:42

Not all northern working class men attended the rally, Mycat. Just the stupid ones.

After all, Anne Widdecombe. I ask you. A former minister of the party that destroyed their livelihood?

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 21:00:43

I think it’s that attitude that got us where we are today!

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 21:01:08

I cannot abide the woman by the way.

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 21:44:41

I think it’s that attitude that got us where we are today!

Do you now.

Well, I lived through the 1980s in Yorkshire. In a mining town. I saw those lads being shafted from both sides during the miners' strike, by a charlatan union leader and the Thatcher government. They were loyal and strong and enduring and they totally lost out. All that pain with nothing to show but closed pits and no jobs at the end of it. How any of them could trust a far right wing demagogue now is totally beyond my understanding. If it's not stupidity what is it?

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 22:16:48

Yep I am a working class kid from
The midlands and well remember Thatcher the miners strike etc.

However calling people thick still got us Brexit.

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 22:18:35

Or rather not still it’s because

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 22:59:09

However calling people thick still got us Brexit.

I've never approved of calling people 'thick'. Do acquit me of being responsible for the Brexit vote.

I think there's a big difference between 'thick' and 'stupid'. Even very intelligent people can be remarkably stupid at times.

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 23:05:28

Okkkkaayyyy! Thick and stupid are very different insults. One is ok the other is not?

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 23:57:08

Stupid is not an insult. It's a statement of fact.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 08:48:26

Right! hmm

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 10:38:15

The men were there because they support leaving, not to discuss the miners strike or pit closures .

What nasty comments here by remainers , if those who voted to leave are stupid, remainers are highly intelligent?

trisher Mon 20-May-19 10:42:01

Nothing to do with politics it's the "Strictly" effect. They would probably cheer Ed Balls as well. Celebrity matters more than policies now.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 10:43:25

I know Anniebach it’s so sad and so counterproductive because it’s this sneery silly attitude that actually brought about the Brexit vote these same people are squealing about.

As I have previously stated I am not really either a remainer or a brexiteer. I can see benefits and problems in either senario and I am actually quite baffled at the passion and the hate on both sides.

It’s a trade agreement!!! That’s it! We have far far more important issues in this country and In the world and the obsession with this trade deal is crazy.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 10:45:28

To add u have friends and family that have voted both remain and leave and I can defiantly say the leavers are no less thoughtful or intelligent or well informed than the remainers.

They just have a different view point you know like people do in a democracy wink

trisher Mon 20-May-19 10:50:06

Mycatisahacker calling our membership of the EU a "Trade agreement" is a bit like referring to your laptop as a screen. It is so much more. The links of art and culture have already begun to be severed and this will impact on our society for years to come. We will be out of the loop and so much poorer in those areas.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 10:55:49

So they turned up not because they wanted to hear a candidate standing for the Brexit Party but because she had been in Strictly trisher ?

Widdie wants out of the EU ,

Corbyn ? Yes, no, maybe , don’t know, not saying,

trisher Mon 20-May-19 11:02:10

It was a working men's club Annie they turned up for a pint (because it's cheaper). Widdie was the equivalent of the strippers in the '80s. They were there, but if they hadn't been the men would still have come out for a pint